Reviews for Like a Butterfly
SpeakNow1118 chapter 1 . 9/26/2012
Ahh, that was beautiful.
MissHepburnthe2nd chapter 1 . 7/9/2011
Well written with lots of atmosphere and a dreamlike storytelling tone.

I think there’s a lot of merit in the simile of a butterfly in the context of Allie and Noah’s love, as described at the end of the story. But somehow the representation of Allie as a caterpillar and Noah as the cocoon does not gel that well. It creates the impression that Allie was almost a plain Jane before she met Noah and that she only came into her own during their relationship. But I think Allie is a mesmerizing and charming woman right from the start, just like Noah’s plainness and simplicity is truly him, and their love enables them both to blossom as the people they are, with authenticity.

There’s also a lack of consistency in the application of the simile. In the beginning, the focus is on the delicateness of a butterfly: “From the second he met her, at that carnival over seven years ago, she managed to crawl her way right into his heart, where she resided peacefully and comfortably.” When she returns to him after years of separation, it is said to be the same as when he met her, but the impression created is something quite different: “She came back just as she did the first time they’d met, crashing right into his heart and setting his nerves on blazing fire.” I love this description and think it’s a much more accurate reflection of what Noah mush have experienced when he first met Allie. The consistency therefore simply needs to be relooked, but there are definitely a few jewels in the story…

Overall it’s a good summary of The Notebook with all the necessary highlights.
4-eva-bookworm chapter 1 . 5/25/2011
How you summed up the whole movie using the center image of a butterfly was an excellent idea! The little details of how a caterpillar worms it's way to his heart, how she leaves him- butterfly to cacoon. I'm not very sure if butterflies ever go back to their shell of life- nevertheless, brilliant. Your writing is splendid! Good job!
bundleb chapter 1 . 12/4/2010
LOVE IT
Nicole chapter 1 . 12/1/2010
Wow, this was really beautiful! I love the caterpillar comparison. Great job!
OnceUponTheseDays chapter 1 . 9/2/2010
WOW, wonderful job. You inspire me to write for Allie and Noah. I love you. Okay...WOOO!
BensonsGumballs chapter 1 . 7/29/2010
That was just beautiful. Really, that was amazing!

Great Story!