Reviews for Jumping o'er Times
Proverbial Pumpkin chapter 1 . 9/29/2010
Ah, I read this forever ago and put off reviewing because it's such a lengthy piece! As always, I'm impressed and a little intimidated (in a good way) by the level of expertise with which you approach this era, and all the little details you're able to slide in without any fuss. But I think my favorite part was Montjoy's tiger cub heroics, which earned him about ninety seconds in Henry's doghouse.

Any time Montjoy has a rough time of things, I eat it up. I'm such a fangirl.

The ending was a little sad after all the time that went into the beginning and middle, but I think it just shows you're a level-headed writer, and you can write more than one story. So while in my head they stayed together and all was well huzzah, my hat's off to your self-discipline.

A powerhouse work. Thanks for writing.
Zallah chapter 1 . 7/3/2010
And that's it? I mean, yes, it's enough, and marvelous [insert list of specific noted awesomeness here], but . . . but private sabotage of an international (as it were) peace mission is surely a trifle . . . awkward for the nationalities concerned. And who _is_ this Gilles person? (I am ignorant of this history and too lazy at the moment to figure out where to start looking.) Although it is interesting to see Tomasso da Pizzano after the grim allusion to him in Henry's Journey'; he certainly lives up to it!

Actually, to be honest, I first read this a few weeks ago, in one fell swoop from about nine at night until three in the morning, which left me with the reactions, 'That's sad,' and, 'But it is right that it ends that way,' and ultimately, 'Perhaps I should read this again in smaller pieces.' Having just done the last, I still get the preceding two, albeit with the first tempered by the second, and the exquisite beauty that the divided loyalties, and the England-France and King-Herald barriers, that it was all worth the second reading as much as the first, and however many follow. And, too, it's really cool that the story is a blip (well, epic detour, more like ;) ) that _does_ come and tie back into history.

Highlights of things liked (or, the list alluded to above):

- from their arrival in the land of the sail-backs, Henry being immediately on top of things from at hand concerns of potential dangers and finding camp to thinking about determining where they are and how to get back

- ' . . . wondering how it was that he had agreed to help the invader return to France, . . .' or, divided loyalties meets Henry's decisiveness for WIN

- the battle of Exeter and Jenny Greenteeth', and of course the (armadillo-ancestor-like?) creature that reminded everyone of Exeter

- I say, is Imitate the action of the tiger' [snickers] set in the southern hemisphere?

- the use of the line fire answers fire' (and the headings of the sections, the only one I can't quite place being that of the Epilogue)

- the phrase the other side of time' is very nice

- the whole delightfulness of how a medieval mini-army, including clergyman and handful of scholarly types, manages to survive in the past and come home again, working with what they have and coming up with what they don't

- on which subject, the way in which magic' works in this world (which is usually a fascination of mine anyway, but that there is enough of that sort of thing here for the characters to piece together what they have and fill in what they don't (I kind of want to reverse engineer the spell to, in a crazy sort of way :P ))

Er . . . yeah . . . I liked it. :)