Reviews for Desolation
Girl.Interpreted chapter 1 . 6/7/2007
My memory of lonesome dove consists only of a scene where someone fords a river and uncovers a nest of water-moccasins. So, no help there as a reference.

I like stories that focus on Vash and Knives. They have such a fascinating, complex relationship. And even though Vash is dead in this particular tale, you managed to explore a lot of what makes them tick as brothers.

I like that you referenced the yi and yo aspects of them (ying and yang, tiger and lamb, etc.). They're polar extremes and yet part of the same whole. It seems that for each, a good part of their reason to exist has always been to balance the other. It makes sense that Knives would not be able to move from the grave (a startling, stunning image, by the way). Without Vash he is fractured and incomplete. What else could he do? It's almost as if, with Vash dead, Knives assimilates parts of his brother. He's softer somehow, and I don't think it's just because of grief.

You used that phrase again, "millions of knives"- sweet. Tearing poor Vash (physically) to shreds, and Knives (emotionally) in the process.

A moving tragedy. And a really nice addition to the companion piece.
Acolyte Of Chaos chapter 1 . 6/25/2005
This is good. Really, losing his brother would crush Knives. The entire focus of his life is what's best for Vash (even at the expense of hacking off his brother's arm), and if Knives were to finally figure out that he's been on the wrong track the whole time... I believe in the manga it says about eighty million died in the Great Fall. Hell of a thing to have an attack of conscience over. All those happy fics about Knives reforming and everyone being nice and happy are WAY off. And yes kids, Legato is immortal. At least in the manga (unless Legato was right with Knives when Vash lost the arm and it stopped his aging, or Knives had a freezer that could keep that arm without freezer burn for sixty years, along with the foresight to use it).

This isn't the first time I've encountered your work. I read "The Thief, The Artist, and The Crow" and "The Myamoto Project" years ago, on Sforzie's site (am I spelling that right? Don't know). I thought both of those were great, and my experience with Pokemon was mostly limited to the games. So, when I saw a review from you on MY fanfic, I nearly danced, but there's not enough room to dance here. Sorry...

- The Acolyte of Chaos
Sephiroth1Ripley8 chapter 1 . 11/16/2004
*Squeal* good sequel. Poor Knives. It's kinda like that episode of the Twighlight Zone where the A-bomb wipes out everybody in the town and the guy finally has some time alone to read but his glasses break...
Verthril chapter 1 . 12/6/2002
*pulls out a tissue* Another sad one, but good.
techbaby chapter 1 . 11/10/2002
another beautiful story...so so sad...I loved it! Poor Knives is so child-like in his thinking.
Rumika chapter 1 . 9/10/2002
Still sad, but the first one was more sad because of the shock value it had with Vash being...dead and all ;_; I fully expected him to jump back to life here, but he just didn't. I think it's probably better that way, anyway. Such a very good fic.
Teal Huskie chapter 1 . 2/24/2002
Eee that is sad ;_; ...but so prettily written that I love it! _
Lirillith chapter 1 . 2/19/2002
Um... I don't think I can provide a fun, fun, happy review, given the content, but this was really good. I also read "World Peace," and somehow I think this was more effective; just makes it seem more finished. I liked the little glimpses of the other characters you provided; Millie as an artist, the Knives/Legato relationship, and the reactions of the plants. And I liked the ending.
Silly XD chapter 1 . 2/17/2002
Pretty good. I thought it was very sad and moving. I love to read fics about Knives and his brother. I also like the song. Nice touch!
DeadLegato chapter 1 . 2/17/2002
That was so sad... it... *sniff*

What is Knives going to do all alone? Are the other plants ever doing to take him back?

Sniffle...