Reviews for Housekeeping
TheLadyIntegra chapter 14 . 9/2
Damn, I live in South Africa which is pretty much a dump, but even here we have a little thing called workman's compensation - our state department of labour has a duty to compensate employees who have accidents during the course and scope of their employment, which includes traumatic experiences which cause PTSD and can render someone, say a police officer whose seen too much shit, or a prison warden who got shanked, completely incapable of working - practically disabled. Then the employee reports to their employer, and the employer reports to the department. Even cashiers, in cases of a robbery or hostage situations can get payments if they're traumatized by the experience. you can be compensated in accordance with the severity of your PTSD or any other mental illness you develop after the incident. What triggered me thinking about this was Jane being forced to clean the bloodstains. I was already drafting her affidavit in my head. I mean walking in on dead bodies is a claim for sure, but having your employer coldly force you to clean up after it? I swear I got dollar signs in my eyes at that little detail xD I dealt with a LOT of PTSD claims, and she'd be a shoe-in. The department has a bit of disdain for the concept of PTSD in the first place, so we really go out of our way to paint a picture of the horror the clients go through when we have to compel them to make payments. I feel like I could do so much for Jane...

Suffice it to say, I'm loving your story which is amazing and for some reason I want to represent your OC and get her a fat pay-out for all the trauma and bullshit she's had to deal with.
mostardentily chapter 1 . 9/4/2020
I read this story in three days and jesus! I love it so much!
Aria DeLoncray chapter 30 . 7/9/2020
Great story!
lailaisdumb2 chapter 20 . 6/21/2020
AHHH he shy
lailaisdumb2 chapter 17 . 6/21/2020
HOLY SHIT.
Finagle chapter 30 . 6/18/2020
I just finished reading this fic and I was surprised by how easily I was sucked into it. And I’m not really sure what it was that kept me pulled in the whole time.

The unfolding background on Jane was a surprise but explained a lot. Reading a fic where Joker is actually the Joker was a surprise too. Usually you can’t read anything about Joker without him being turned into something else.
The Queen of All Demons chapter 2 . 6/17/2020
Omygod this gave me flashbacks to when i worked housekeeping back in high school at this one shady hotel. I genuinely got anxiety from reading the first few chapters. I can definitely believe the conditions your main character works in. From that POV, you did am accurate job writing this *_*
whyspers chapter 29 . 5/18/2020
It hasn't been long since I last commented, but this story has been on my mind. It just occurred to me that Jack's stay at The Palace could possibly be outlining his journey to self acceptance. I mentioned before that there was something different between his first day there and sometime when he met Jane. It's like a switched turned on. He opened up a bit more and even seemed to be more confident in his skin. It's as if he accepted his scars and decided that life didn't have to be so serious. I think this is demonstrated especially well when he breaks the mirror; the broken mirror signifies all that pent up self hatred. When he writes the string of laughter in red is the moment he reaches self acceptance.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it. Again, I really liked this story and just have a lot of thoughts about it. Thank you for sharing!
whyspers chapter 30 . 5/17/2020
Let me start off by saying that I think this is so, so good! I'm a little upset that I found this late and didn't comment on each and every chapter. I was just so invested that I binged the whole thing in the span of a few days.

I liked how you set this up a little before TDK and didn't exactly give Joker a full out past. It seemed to me like he was already The Joker here except without the face paint, just working his way up to it.

The way you described Jane's previous relationship was heartbreaking, and I think it's something I can understand. That feeling of loving and caring for someone so much even if they hurt you. You just hold on and hope that they will change. There were a few other aspects of Jane's character that I resonated with. I can see how she would be stuck on someone like Jack, but I'm glad she reached that tipping point and felt angry about everything.

There were many instances where I wondered what was going through Jack's head. At the beginning of the story he was much more reserved and suspicious of everyone. He seemed like a different person compared to when he spoke to Jane the first time, I think, and called her doll face. It's as if sometime between his arrival at The Palace and that moment something changed in him. Maybe he became more confident? Comfortable? It's like he was trying to figure out who he should become. I'm not sure if I'm making sense lol

Then, there was that scene at the alley. He wanted to help. I feel like a part of him did care for Jane but he's definitely not the type to go out of his way for people, especially if they don't even want their help. What was he thinking when he walked away? When she called out to him, I wonder if he heard her. Maybe he caught a glimpse of Batman and told himself she would be in good hands? This might be wishful thinking. J is a complicated character, after all, and I think you were able to capture that complexity and air of mystery that surrounds him.

Also the scene where Jim finds the Batman plush! This convinces me that Jack did care for Jane! I doubt he was obsessed with Batman just yet so it makes sense he kept it out of sentimentality. A little souvenir from the time they spent together, as twist as some of it might've been.

I don't know if you keep up with these comments anymore, but nonetheless I wanted to share how much I enjoyed this. Thank you so much!
whyspers chapter 1 . 5/15/2020
just started reading this and I'm really excited to keep going! I know I'm a few years too late but thank u for sharing _
Mariposa Noir chapter 26 . 5/4/2020
I do not know where to start. Maybe saying I love every word and feeling you put into this story.

Jane is the reflection of many women who have been through an abusive relationship and who are looking to continue in some way. Her connection to Jack makes a lot of sense and as little by little she becomes entangled with him to the point of protecting him, either because of some feeling related to fear or compassion. Or maybe, because she is very lonely.

Also, I like how your Joker is still a creature that came out of nowhere. Every gesture and dialogue you describe makes him so intriguing.

Everything you wrote was so crude in a special way, reflecting how Gotham is a rotten city from its core.

Finally, you write very well. It was easy to connect with all the circumstances described. I am excited for the progress of your sequel.

Well done!
FelineNinjaGrace chapter 19 . 3/5/2020
I'm with Polly. Leave Jane to wallow in her wonderful self-induced misery. It'd be nice to see Jane stand up for herself for once a. But no, then Jane would have nothing to drink vodka about, lol.
FelineNinjaGrace chapter 18 . 3/5/2020
This is what has always confused me about this story: why did Jane never reach out to her parents? She isolated herself on purpose and she's going through all these crazy things and feeling sorry for herself...but when I read parts of the story like this where she has the key in her hands but doesnt open the lock to her jail-cell...I just cant feel sorry for her. Its obvious that she enjoys getting beat up by old boyfriends, crazy clowns, abusive bosses, drugged up goons XD lol! Like..."I cant feel sorry for you when you're clearly enjoying yourself. And if you're not enjoying yourself then what the f*** ARE you doing? Cause you're not making any sense, Jane."
FelineNinjaGrace chapter 16 . 3/5/2020
Another one of my favorite chapters!
FelineNinjaGrace chapter 11 . 3/5/2020
Jack wouldnt have bothered if he didnt like her. I still dont understand why he abandoned her in the alley at the end of this story, but he wouldnt have helped a girl in distress if he didnt have some sort of friendship with said girl.
1,522 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »