Reviews for The Case of the Haywire Heist
majishan chapter 15 . 8/5
my favorite one yet of the three!
Boogum chapter 15 . 6/22
I enjoyed this story! Lots of fun with great attention to detail.

I'll admit that your first fic of this series was my favourite, but I have liked reading the other two. I take it you will not be uploading any future stories to FFN for this series?
Drakonflight chapter 15 . 6/17
Love this series! Especially this last enstallment. Probably because there weren't any hospitals . . . And Ran becoming the Oracle. I can't stop cackling! Thanks for a great story!
UsagiLovesDuochan chapter 15 . 5/28
Wow, what an ending to this three part series. You did a great job and created a grand finale. I loved reading through every bit.
Personally I have to say that I think you did a good job with Hakuba. Admittedly, I feel a bit like Heiji here, I don't like him that much. But I must say that from what I've seen about him especially in the Kid mangas, he really seems a bit too obsessive, therefore the way you pulled this off felt totally in character for me. I was especially amused when Kazuha threw Hakuba out as well as that scene where Kaito once more fooled him with his role as Shinichi to protect Conan's secret. The most amusing part about that was that Kaito got through with it, by being a bit helpless about his excuse. It was just so funny how luck played into Kaito's hand again.

I think the only moments I felt were a bit out of character were Heiji's fights with his father. I admit Heizo Hattori rarely appears in the mangas, but for me it always seemed like he encourages his son with his detective work and would never stand in the way as he had done in this story. Usually their relationship reminds me a bit of Shinichi's relationship with his father, only that Heizo is a serious man through and through while Yusaku can be a little prankster at time. That's why the Heizo Hattori of your story felt a bit colder than I ever had an impression of him. But, as I've noted before, since his character has shown up only rarely I think there is a lot of scope for imagination of how his character might be, so I declare this a matter of personal opinion.

Back to the story. I loved all the Ran/Shinichi moments and I loved even more how you built up Ran's input from being a simple support in every day life to being communicator and assisting with intelligence. The bonus you later threw in when Kaito's admission came into the picture, offering her to become an apprentice with Jii as teacher was a great idea, I loved it. I simply see Ran as not only the calm presence in the background but also the strong force to help out where she can during a case or a heist, be it with her karate technique or coming up with a plan how to rescue Kaitou Kid.

Now of course, just as much as I loved the the Ran/Shinichi moments, I also loved the Kaito/Conan moments. They were so fun, especially at the beginning when Conan, while still indecisive and frustrated, took out his frustration by making Kaito squirm. While Ran reacted a bit scandalised and succeeded in making Conan feel bad, personally I think it was perfect retribution for the time when Kaito teased him, especially with the "tantei-kun", before Conan was able to grasp the irony of that form of address.

I also think you did a really great job with the revelation parts, starting with the disturbed confrontation from Conan with Kid, which at least went far enough that Kid was about to realise that Conan indeed knows who he is and has proof, then on to Kazuha's case and I certainly loved it when Ran and Heiji were told the truth. It was funny to see the different reactions (except Kid/Conan, because that one ended with the shooting), Heiji at first being not so happy, while Ran could sympathise even though she needed time to come to terms with everything and needed to decide how far she was willing to go with supporting Kaito. I also think it was a good move from Conan to not share what he would decide to do about Kaitou Kid, because this gave everyone the chance to decide for themselves.

Now about Aoko. I felt a bit sorry for her, because she was mostly in the dark thorough the whole story. This is not meant to be negative critique, quite the opposite, I think you built her in perfectly, I just felt for her situation very much from time to time when she felt so lonely. Her scenes with Kaito of course were great and I loved that moment when she was even a bit afraid for Kid, never mind that she might not like to admit it. Aoko certainly is the nestling of the whole group of teenagers. She is still mostly innocent and naive. I think that you're right with your assumption that she still needs to grow up a bit more, but just like she currently is, adds her as a good support for the every day life, since she just does not have anything to do with the heists (as she leaves that to her father) and certainly not with murder. In this story her role feels a bit like the tower of strength that pulls everyone back to normal, well as much as normal goes when one is Kaito Kuroba.

The end was also perfect. It was a great closure to all three stories, took care of every important question and even made it clear that Heiji and Kaito would get along well in the end. I think Conan is the only one to regret that, since the price for their truce was them teaming up on him, but it was a rather funny scene and it felt good to see even the last stubborn Osakan come to terms with everything. If it were up to me there could follow more stories that has those six together again for an adventure (yes I know this series is finished, don't worry ;) but I can be allowed wishful thinking? XD ).

All in all the series was really, really well done. I'm rather sorry that I've reached the end of this, since it's one of the best Conan stories I've been able to get my hands on so far. I'm sure to reread this again once in a while just to savor the moments. Thank you all so very, very much for coming up with this and sharing it with us. It's been a joy to read.

Sincerely

Usagi-Atemu-Tom /_\
Alex-Mellois chapter 3 . 4/26
I really don't appreciate what's going on with this mocking of English by non native speakers. It felt condescending especially because English is not easy to learn so native speakers mocking U.S. kind that was really annoying to go through. That and im also not find of the jab at Japanese women in the previous story when Hakuba was thinking about how Aoko is just not like those *other Japanese girls*. You guys are showing great length of Western entitlement and supremacy tbh and it's not fun to those who face this micro level of aggression every day in their lives.
Icyicy00 chapter 9 . 4/5
Ahahh, poor Hakuba. He's completely out of the loop isn't he.
Kitsu3 chapter 2 . 3/19
Just a quick note here, while I read my way through this series and favorite as I go...

"Shinichi!" Ran hissed, examining the marksmanship.

I don't know why this struck me more than the couple of other ever-so-slightly misused words (I seem to remember "exaggerate" used instead of "exacerbate" in the story previous) - perhaps it's the way it made me stop and think to figure out which exceedingly similar but different word should be in its place.

To get to the point: craftsmanship, not marksmanship.

I got so caught up in this story that I had to go back halfway through the next chapter, so these little things are hardly a notable detriment to your story. They're just - noticeable, on occasion. At least to me. Anyway, I'll go back to reading now. Love you for this story, though.
CJaMes12 chapter 15 . 10/10/2014
I have absolutely loved these stories, from start to end. Your characters are spot on and I love their interactions and thought processes. The two of you have crafted something awesome here, I'm glad I found it. Thanks for sharing!
ebonypol chapter 15 . 11/18/2013
Loved it :D
Jingyee1511 chapter 15 . 9/14/2013
I love the epilogue. I particularly love how the guys ganged up on Conan and how Kaito teased Aoko. it was so sweet and to give Kazuha and Heiji a chance to make up was great awesome fic! While the mystery was less than its two prequels this is definitely the most fun one! Thanks so much for (both of) your hard work! Read the lifejournal post on a sequel, and I'm sure I'm but one of the other fanatics who sigh from the fact that there won't be a continuation of this brilliant series. nonetheless thank you for sharing! These three fics should seriously go into someone's collection of classics, in DC fanfiction. *thumbs up*
Jingyee1511 chapter 14 . 9/14/2013
Hmmm the culprit not clearly part of the Black Organisation was a little surprising, but it seemed good that not only Kaito got the right guy but the little events that went into the heist! Like allowing the inspector to handcuff him, impersonating Mr Collector, allowing the cops some time to recover from their bleeding ears before moving off... And of course, Heiji and Kazuha's combined effort to get the guy. Nice work! And the part where Conan told Heiji that if he was called Kudo one more time he'd kick a soccer ball, and the part where Conan said he'll only be a husband to Ran... Epic. *thumbs up* good work!
Jingyee1511 chapter 13 . 9/14/2013
It is amusing to no end to know that Kaito's jii-chan was horrified by the girl talk. And it wasn't even that horrible yet! . and yeah I'm full of wonder that Kaito managed to pretend to be Shinichi, and even get past Hakuba! wow. I loved that meeting, having Hakuba squirm under the eye of the Detective of The East. *thumbs up*
Jingyee1511 chapter 12 . 9/14/2013
Sensitivity of concrete indeed. the Kaito scenes really are funny! imagining Kid giving Heiji and Kazuha the opportunity to talk really was sweet too. And Heiji's irritation that Kid was acting as Shinichi! *amused* nice going!
Jingyee1511 chapter 11 . 9/14/2013
Hmmm. The parallel between Kaito's situation and Shinichi's really is startling enough to merit worry about it being the same organisation. and the chaos that followed after knowing who Kid was between Heiji, Ran and Shinichi was no surprise. Nicely done too.
Jingyee1511 chapter 10 . 9/14/2013
Hmmm Heiji's frustration at his father was a sight to behold! it was truly intense. And also with Kaito's reply to Aoko... Well, it was funny while the comic lasted, and saddening when it didn't. Not melodramatic though, I would say, but dramatic enough. nice work!