Reviews for Worlds Away
Pentastic chapter 1 . 8/3/2012
This was really good.
scribblemyname chapter 1 . 3/18/2011
ABRIDGED VERSION CROSSPOSTED FROM FICSPAM LJ COMMUNITY:

Canon: Comics. Draws a lot on the recognizable stereotype of X-Men and makes it real by deepening it and sinking it into the reality of life for a twenty-something American from Beverly Hills in our time.

Characters: Jubilation Lee "Jubilee" and Kitty Pryde. Well-drawn side character on the latter; a character study of the former. The best character study of the former I've read.

Story: Four scenes.

1. We start off with a summary of who is Jubilee in details of her life, small traits, things that have happened to her, what's she's done, and this one small interlude that gives us a tantalizing taste of Jubilee's own voice:

Yes, that is my real name.

No, really.

L-E-E.

It's more effective for it's disjointed feel, the vibe of dropping us into her head, but not inside her, outside of her, looking at all the pieces and having them add up for the reader as we like. It's showing, not telling. Draw your own judgments, people.

2. The way of the world. This is real life: story begins. It's not what she's thinking, but what she's doing, why she does it, what she does when faced with stupid prejudice and trying hard to let it go. (She never lets it go.)

3. Right here is the meat of the story, where she makes a stand, a choice, and refuses to be pigeonholed or boxed in, and it means something. I'm an ethnic too. I'm visibly Hispanic; to any hairdresser, I've clearly got some black; my features hold Native American. But where am I from? America, thank you. Not Africa (no roots for me); not Mexico (I'm for Arizona's law); and certainly not a tribal nation. This scene resonates.

"So where are you from?"

"Beverly Hills."

4. The ending is satisfying. Perfection. The change shows on the outside, cleaning up the situation from 2. She's using her normalcy and her X skills, and the friend that held her back before nods, agreeing. This scene makes the story.

Language: The language in this piece is much of what engaged me: this piece flows. It's written with a pace and tone that is colorful, distinctive, and distinctively American.

She's as American as a Boxcar Child, migrating from one place to another, one place to another; as American as a frontiersman, as American as a pioneer, never stopping, never resting.

Yes, that is my real name.

No, really.

L-E-E.

and

Jubilee is bad yearbook photos, is kind of like a high school dropout, is a mutant, is - Jubilee is. It confuses people.

The word choice reflects the mood, the character, the world she's living it in. The tone in the last scene is Jubilee's through and through, a shift from the narrator outside to the one inside. And the one major curse word in this fits so perfectly like a glove.

Final Analysis: This is a one-shot that grabs me by the throat, that won't let me go whenever I read it (I've read it almost a dozen times), that makes me want to come back and find a good taste of Jubilee again. It satisfies. And that's the point, right?
sarra ambrai chapter 1 . 7/7/2010
I liked this. Good details, good characterization.
I Hate Allergies chapter 1 . 7/5/2010
As American as racism, eh?