Reviews for newRanma
5074 chapter 21 . 10/5/2021
Though this is quite well-written and does an excellent job of humanizing some of the lesser-loved characters, I can’t exactly give it my personal seal of approval. I can certainly see why so many people like it, but there were too many personal grievances I had with it to really enjoy it on a personal level.

Well, some of the main problems stem from the simple fact that Ranma 1/2 the series was never meant to be taken all that seriously, and if we the readers are supposed to suddenly be taking all this seriously, then the comedic actions and borderline neurotic behavior of much of the cast stops being funny and starts being seriously concerning.

For example, the parents are still just as determined to push Ranma and Akane together without their consent or even giving them room to breathe and get their bearings, with the only difference being that they either straight-up lied to do it, or in Akane’s case, effectively coerced/forced into doing so.

Oh, sure, they PRETEND that they’re giving them a choice, but Soun essentially all but ORDERS her to go by shoving the consequences of NOT marrying Ranma in her face while yelling at her to make an IMMEDIATE decision, while “subtly” implying that she MUST still love Ranma and thus it would be stupid and wrong NOT to go. (Also Nabiki straight up threatens her, which was admittedly at least a little justified, but still.) And then Kasumi’s all like; “no pressure or anything, we love you no matter what” like, NO. You do not get to say that after what just went down.

And again, Genma and Nodoka just straight-up lied to Ranma and everyone just seems cool with it. Like, the fact that Ranma and Akane probably do love each other is HARDLY the goddamn POINT. Have the parents learned nothing?! Half the problems in their relationship were caused by the pressure from the engagement and all the marriage attempts!

True, this is basically standard Ranma fare, but remember, you’re trying to portray this seriously and realistically, and suddenly this all goes from whacky to seriously not okay.

I dislike how Ranma and Akane managed to go from the worst possible place in their relationship to pretty much having all their differences sorted out in the span of a single chapter pretty much just because of one sex scene. Bruh. (But, to be fair, it seemed like you were kinda burned out and just wanted to finish things, which I totally get.) There’s a LOT of misunderstandings and miscommunications that never really get resolved, and most of them could have been avoided if people just TALKED to each other, but that’s admittedly pretty standard stuff for Ranma.

On a related note, very few actual apologies have taken place, which irks me. Like, I’m not a social expert, but I’m pretty sure that just waiting for the other person to forget about the offense and never bringing it up again is not the right way to go about things.

On a lighter note, with the exceptions of the times he nearly got into Ranma’s pants, I actually do like what you did with Kunou. Seeing him learn and grow was extremely gratifying. Well done, really.

However.

This was meant to be a story about growing up, correct? Well...has anyone besides him really grown or matured that much as a person? Sure, Ranma and to a lesser extent Akane have explored and grown more comfortable with their sexuality, but...have they or anyone else except Kunou really changed all that much as people? Exploring your sexuality can certainly be important to personal and emotional growth, but it does not equate to it.

Speaking of which...Ranma’s libido. Hoo boy. It really shouldn’t be THAT bad. Okay, given the whole brain thing, it makes sense that all these new feelings would be overwhelming and uncontrollable at first, but gradually, throughout the story, one would expect them to become somewhat less intense, or for him to learn to deal with them, or for him to find ways to control himself or find ways to deal with it. None of these things happen. At the end of the story, he’s still just as ridiculously horny as he was near the beginning, probably even more so.

I'll admit, I'm not a medical expert, but if your libido is so intense that you’re attracted to just about everyone you know, and are very nearly INCAPABLE of saying “no”, then you should really consult a doctor. That is actually not normal. (Pansexuality does not account for an inability to refuse, so don’t give me that.)

And everyone just acts like this is normal and that he SHOULD be perfectly in control of himself despite the fact that he kind of isn’t, and he never really tries to explain this. Like, are you okay, C.? Have you been experiencing this? I don’t know if you know this, but that actually isn’t how it’s supposed to work. Are you good? Do you need to see a doctor?

...overall, I can see why people enjoy it, but it just wasn’t for me. Sorry if I went overboard with this review, I get a bit too into my ranting sometimes. Also, it just occurred to me that this might just be a reupload from another site so this review is kind of pointless, but whatever.

Despite my grievances, I’m not sorry i read it, so thanks for writing!
dchavis50 chapter 21 . 8/10/2020
Thank you. This is by far the best serious Ranma story I have ever read. This has made it into my top 5 fanfictions at least. You've done what I feel few can, in that you've taken characters and turned them into people. You've given them all genuine emotions, beliefs, personalities, wants, hopes, struggles, desires,and fears. You've given them real character development. You've worked real world problems of youth and life into this story seamlessly and beautifully. The Characters, even the "villain" of principal Kuno, felt like real people just trying to figure out what they want in life and how to live it. Sometimes you don't know what you have till its gone and sometimes you simply don't know what you want to begin with; this story's ending gets this point across wonderfully. People change for various reasons and things become uncertain including relationships that span months or years or feelings you were sure of just days ago. I have never before read a story professional or otherwise that has encapsulated this fact better than this one. So, I must thank you again for this story that is so full of heart, understanding and passion.
Guest chapter 20 . 7/23/2019
Really dislike Ranma ending up with Akane after the parents' machinations and how she has treated him.
It feels too much like all his agency was taken away from him
Guest chapter 20 . 7/23/2019
Disappointing ending, after all that Ranma has been subjected to, he should have moved on.
Guest chapter 2 . 7/23/2019
The ladle can totally lock him in his normal form, you are wrong about that, whether naturally, or with the water from the spring of drowned boy.
Guest chapter 18 . 7/23/2019
All three sisters act like cruel or bigoted bitches, he should just move on and find happiness elsewhere, none of them are good for him.
Guest chapter 16 . 7/23/2019
Since they have the Pail of Preservation, why don't Ranma ask them to lock him in male form to cure his curse?
(also, no idea why the author calls it the Kaisufu, that's not even its Japanese name)
typo chapter 17 . 7/23/2019
dying - dyeing
Guest chapter 15 . 7/23/2019
Why the hell would they try to save Mousse? He's a complete psycho how seriously tried to kill Ranma, and almost killed Ryouga.
Guest chapter 14 . 7/23/2019
It seems a bit nonsensical that Kasumi is apparently Christian rather than Shinto
Guest chapter 11 . 7/23/2019
Why is Ranma even stuck as a girl? Really makes no sense, they specifically chose not to use metal stapples, and at this point he should be healed enough.

It's not like he's completely unable to shift when wounded, and if shifting shape while wounded would be catastrophic, he wouldn't have survived canon.
Guest chapter 10 . 7/23/2019
Three glasses of champagne won't make him drunk, maybe a 5 year old girl, not a teenager, and certainly not someone who actually in good shape.
Guest chapter 7 . 7/23/2019
This is just so stupid, Mousse have no honor, so don't deserve anything in return, delivering a challenge right after trying to assassinate someone tells that all too clearly.

He's a cheat with the assassination attempt he already forfeited his match before it happened.

It boggles the mind that after turning him into a duck they just let him get away, they should instead have caught him and kept him in a cage like the rabid animal that he is.
Spokavriel chapter 12 . 7/6/2019
Erythromycin not the only one to get that prescription.
King of fans chapter 7 . 7/2/2018