Reviews for The Incessant Beats
The Wild Wild Whovian chapter 1 . 6/21/2013
I enjoyed this story and the mood it sets. I can kind of feel the drumbeats echoing in my head still.
LittleMissLiz chapter 1 . 1/23/2013
This is really great. I think it really sums up how the Master feels about the drumbeats in his head. The writing style is really dark, which is appropriate to the story.

I really loved this part: "They have already driven him well past insanity, they did that long ago. The drums have become part of him now, wired into his nerves and veins – wired into his very being. Even though he wishes desperately for them to stop, they have become as vital to him as the beat of his hearts. He can barely remember now a time before the drums, before he looked into the Untempered Schism, when he was normal. Just a boy of eight. Just a child." It really reminds the reader how long these drumbeats have been with the Master and the suffering he's going through.
Just one nitpick: "Drum beats, loud and booming, echoing against his skull." I think it should be: "Drumbeats, loud and booming, echoing against his skull." Drumbeats should be one word because you're describing the sound as a drumbeat, not saying a drum is beating. (Okay that might've sounded confusing, but I have no other way to explain it.)
Good work!
TheTabbieCat chapter 1 . 1/23/2013
I liked the constant repetition of the 'one, two, three, four' it made it feel as though you were inside the maters head. This made me think of the Master as more of a vunrable character though, it made it seem as if he needed the drumming and personally I don't see his character like that usually but it was a nice take on it.
Overall, really good though.
Dominus Tenebrosus chapter 1 . 10/21/2012
Rolling Commentary:

Straight off, I'm wondering what this infernal drumbeat actually is. Something psychological?

Or perhaps something physiological, judging from the next paragraph. Either way, the repetition really drives the point across. *nods*

Man. Been with him a while, then. Poor, crazy git. One might think that one would have grown used to such a thing though, having lived with it for so long. I mean, he has, obviously, but not the sort of 'used to it' that I'm thinking of. Hm.

Always with him. No fun.

And the repetition again. It adds to that sense of eternal pounding in the head. Good effect.

So tied to the drums. *shakes head* Man. I wonder what would happen if they _did_ stop. Would that drive him to a different madness entirely at this point? I mean, that's what it seems like, to me. And there, we have the repetition again. Mmm.

Heh. Maybe they would.

Still wondering if that's not physiological. Maybe an artery running too close to the surface of the ear canal or something. /completely talking out his rear, obviously

Nnngh. I guess if something is so defining... Still. Ouch.

Funny that a mental drumbeat can cause everyone so much grief. Heh.

General Thoughts:

Well, you're probably tired of hearing it by now, but I envy your ability to really take a concept and put it out so thoroughly in so few words. Here, we have insanity. Or a cause for insanity.

Very well done effect, incidentally; it's the repetition of that pounding that really sells it. Regardless of whether or not it's been done before, this is very, very good.

As I've come to expect. Well done. :)
truthsetfree chapter 1 . 9/3/2012
“and he wonders, not for the first time, what he would be without this noise. He thinks he would simply stop existing right here and now if they were to just suddenly stop.”
Nice. Makes you think.

“They are more than just a mere part of him, they are him. Each one of those infuriating beats form the core of his very being,”
Awesome.

“It is the drums that make the Master”
I like that part.

I think the “One, two, three, four” bit worked just fine.

Nitpicking:
"beating in harmony with his hearts."
Are you sure "harmony" is the right word? If it were mine, I'd think about counterpoint or syncopation.

“beating in perfect sync with his hearts”
Hmmmm…if something is working in harmony, it isn’t following the exact same pattern of notes as the melody. Rather, it sort of weaves through the melody, if that makes any sense. It adds complexity to the melody. If you remove the harmony, a melody can still stand on its own, but a harmony without a melody can’t. It lacks substance. My point is that earlier you said that the drums beat in harmony with his hearts. While I question the word choice there, I do know what you mean. However, in order to beat in sync with his hearts, it is unlikely the drums would beat in counterpoint/syncopation.

“It is the drums that make the Master, and he would not have it any other way.”
I would rethink that line, if only because the summary for your Andromeda fic says “She is a blood-traitor, and despite all the consequences and tragedies, she would not have it any other way.”
TheFictionFairy chapter 1 . 8/25/2012
I like the narration style here - it really fits the Master's mindset well, illustrating the constant, repetitive obsession that underscores everything he does. That said, the piece might have been a tiny bit stronger if we had seen references to some of his activities that weren't directly involved with the drums - just to underscore that they're always there, no matter what he does. That said, this is still an excellent little character study, and the ending line is the perfect punctuation to the piece. Good work!
Inkfire chapter 1 . 8/25/2012
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee you have a Master fic! D AMAZING. Of course the drums thing has been done a lot, but there's never too much beautiful prose out there and your fic is just that. I love the way you inserted the "one-two-three-four" rhythm in the fic - personally, I would have used the dashes instead of commas because it seemed to be that they convey the really fast, staccato rhythm of the beat a little better, but that's just a detail I noticed because I was knocking my nails against my desk while reading, lol. What does this say about me? ANYWAY THIS REVIEW SHOULD NOT BE ABOUT ME - as I was saying before I veered off topic, it was good to insert the actual drumbeat in the story because it stressed all the more how omnipresent it was - even the narrative couldn't get rid of it, I like the way it ended up at the middle of the sentences and not even just between paragraphs at the end, too. I love the way you described the beats and how powerfully, entirely they belong to him, they MAKE him. The equilibrium between hating and needing them was really well conveyed, subtle, but there all the same. That might be a random remark, but it's also quite meaningful that the beats are the subject of most sentences, like they're always there drumming-drumming-drumming so aggressively and the Master can't do much in response, he just receives them and vibrates to the beat and lets it rule him. It felt all the more tragic once you think of the reason for the beats and how he was always used to make sure the Time Lords could return. Awwwww. (I'm going "awwww" with the Master. O-kayyyy…) The drums seemed so overwhelming, I could really feel in your words how they drove him past sanity. And I love the way you used the parallel with his hearts. I think this review is a bit messy, I just went and sprouted everything I found brilliant (and "spouted" isn't the exact right verb here but it sounds too funny for me to correct it, so). You're awwwwwwwwesome. Kudos to you )
Rosawyn chapter 1 . 8/24/2012
It's possible that the Master and his drums thing has been done to death and back (see what I did there? Because he's a Time Lord? lol Maybe it's best to ignore me), but I don't read a whole lot of Doctor Who stuff, and this is the first I have seen of it.

For some reason when I first read, "he wonders, not for the first time, what he would be without this noise," I somehow misread "this" as "his" so I thought it said, "he wonders, not for the first time, what he would be without his noise." I noticed my mistake, but I couldn't help but think it works that way too?

I really do have to feel for the Master reading this (though I already felt for him when watching the show, but still), because I can understand how it would be difficult for him to imagine life without the drums after being so used to hearing them for so very long. I guess it's sort of like anyone who is unwilling to step outside their comfort zone. Of course, in his case, he isn't really given much of a choice.

I liked this, and now I want to go re-watch those eps of Doctor Who. XD
The Death Frisbee chapter 1 . 5/25/2012
Hey there. Not a Whovian, but I have seen enough episodes to be intrigued by this.

There is a short story by Ramsey Campbell that involves beats that this reminded me of: 'Beyond Words,' from the short story collection 'Waking Nightmares.' You may want to have a look at it if you're curious.

I was expecting unhinged, and this didn't disappoint - but I liked that it was a patterned, deliberate insanity, not just WHOO TOTALLY CRAZY, as that would have been hard to read and possibly (pardon the pun) alienating.

Minor grammatical error: 'They have already driven him well past insanity; they did that long ago.' needs a semicolon.

Liked 'He thinks both of his hearts would stop.' It's a nice, subtle reminder that The Master isn't human. Similarly, I can get a sense of the Untempered Schism without needing details for it, so it was smart to simply end it on a reference.

Good repetition with 'blessed, blissful,' assuming that was intentional. In the end, the beats being his heartbeat is an earned expectation - had this been poorly written, it would have been a cliche, but you earned it through the strong writing.

Sharply written and engaging without going into Joker territory or some other well-worn trope like that. Good job!
chaos Leader chapter 1 . 2/12/2012
I went ahead and read/reviewed this one, mainly because I'm familiar with Dr Who, especially the David Tennant Whodom.

It may have been experimental, but it's done fairly well. It establishes a picture of the Master's mental state and how it affects his thoughts. I would've loved to see -now that The Master's mental state is established- how he interacts with the world around him; to see this mental state in context, how he interacts with other people. Okay, granted, that's pretty much what the TV show did while he was there...

(and BTW if you think this is strange/experimental/out there, you should see some of the crazy stuff the absurdists come up with. Almost turns my brain to mush just thinking about it)

But good stuff here, if a little on the brief side.
Omniac chapter 1 . 7/6/2010
My theory about Doctor Who fanfiction is that it's always better with the Master. Maybe it's the smile? the aftershave? his capacity to laugh at himself? I don't know, it's crazy! Also, I can safely say that the Master and his drums haven't been done nearly as much as Doctor/Rose. As long as one continues, so should the other (and there will always be writers to pair Rose with every one of the Doctor's past and future regenerations).
Kala Sathinee chapter 1 . 7/5/2010
Yay! Master goodness. Thank you, my dear Doctor. .

The prose is not off. In fact, the constant repetition fits. And it is a crying shame that John Simm isn't ours.