Reviews for The Way Is Shut
K chapter 1 . 4/5
God, I read this fic for the first time years ago, can’t remember how many, and it’s haunted me ever since. Masterful buildup, wonderful detailing, terrifying facts that leave the reader to draw their own macabre conclusions. I wish this was ao3 so I could leave kudos. I think I may print this out and stick it in the back of my copy of World War Z
Zoanzon chapter 1 . 3/23
I first found and read this some years back, and was enthralled at your story, how you wove details and atmosphere and the interview style together to mimic the feel of WWZ and yet still have your own story. Now, years later, a half-remembered memory of the 'the door is shut' scene lured me back, and it's as good as I remembered.
Fucking amazing.
Master Maple chapter 1 . 11/14/2017
I can safely say that this is by far the best World War Z fic I have ever read. Brilliant characterization, an atmosphere of dread, throwbacks to the books and excellent characterization elevate this above the rest. Hughes and his operation feel steeped in the history and setting of World War Z, seamlessly weaving in new elements like offhand discussions of clearing the Chunnel and the emergence of new, specialized APCs for infested areas, and that consistency gives this story an extra credibility that allows it to stand beside the official canon.

Most crucially of all, you've done a wonderful job of maintaining the same atmosphere of mystery as Brooks' original explanation, where every revelation about what happened to North Korea only raises more frightening questions.

I was initially somewhat frustrated with Brooks' refusal to elaborate on the possible re-emergence of the DPRK. But after reading this, I think I've learned all I'll ever want to know about the fate of the Hermit Kingdom.
MarkAntimony chapter 1 . 11/12/2017
Excellent stuff, at least as good as the original material. Getting chills.
edboy4926 chapter 1 . 10/26/2017
Good story
Really feel like it was part of the novel.

Any chance of doing an AU where the B. of Yonkers actually succeded? Yet to find a fic where that happens.
monathegreat chapter 1 . 10/5/2017
Fantastic, you've set a great tone. The descriptions and actions make sense, and the ending is just open ended enough to make us wonder.
Canadian Crow chapter 1 . 9/17/2017
I came across this story a few years ago. I loved it then and have enjoyed re-reading it many times. I can say, without exaggeration, that this is one of the best pieces of fanfiction I've ever read.
M chapter 1 . 7/21/2017
One of the things that really intrigued me after reading WWZ was the question of North Korea. You have done a fine job of carrying the story along, and very much in the style of Mr. Brooks' original work. I hope you will (or may have already) continued on with the narrative regarding North Korea (and if not you then hopefully someone else).
Guest chapter 1 . 6/20/2017
Wow someone linked this as a great world war z fanfic and they were right it's truly amazing how you capture the tone of the book major props
90TheGeneral09 chapter 1 . 3/21/2017
Outstanding. I was wondering if there were any WWZ fanfics on North Korea out there, and I'm glad to have found one. Years back I found another that was set in an AU, depicting North Korea as still being alive and well, having repelled the zombies and even annexed Vladivostok. It was VERY in touch with the perspective of someone soaked in North Korean government patriotism, seems to have vanished by now. You captured the interview style of the book perfectly. And the eerie atmosphere of North Korea, the ghost ship of a country in WWZ- you captured that flawlessly. I don't think you could've done it better. This is truly outstanding, and MAN was that scary. Can't blame this man for not wanting to go back. By the way, the how and why he went there in the first place, the timespan, process, reasons for a expedition finally being sent to the DPRK- you give a highly plausible set of details on all that. I can't praise this enough. Well done. I will be keeping this on my Favorites list from now on.
Asters chapter 1 . 11/13/2016
It's 1.30am and there's no way I'm gonna sleep tonight but I love this and its tone complements the book perfectly
Vwchick chapter 1 . 4/18/2016
Loved how you wrote this- totally added a much needed scene to the book! Thanks!
Readerjkr chapter 1 . 3/21/2016
The way you build the tension, getting to a high level of foreboding is supremely done. Brilliantly written. Thank you for keeping this story on this site.
AATC-86 chapter 1 . 3/1/2016
This is great. Mysterious and well paced. I would have liked a continuation of it.