Reviews for Ghost Ship
10percentofnuthin chapter 14 . 4/18/2017
Any chance of this ever being finished?
Bard of Shadows chapter 14 . 4/12/2011
Dang! That was way beyond cruel to abandon the story right before the very last chapter. That should teach me not to read WIP's. Very good story, though.
Ella Greggs chapter 11 . 9/7/2010
A bit out of order with this review, but is this the same Crusier who was practically torn apart by dogs and survived the gun battle in 'Symbols of Freedom'? If so, he seems awfully deferential to Simon for a man who's been through so much on behalf of MedExpress. In particular, I should think he's earned the right to call River River in front of her brother. He sounds more like a butler or personal assistant here. Much cooler and aloof than the Crusier we met in the first 'episode'.
Ella Greggs chapter 14 . 9/6/2010
Excellent, albeit upsetting, chapter. The entire passage to do with the family's murders was very vivid without being lurid. And now I see what the previous reference to 'the dreaming moment of a child's death' meant. But so interesting that this should be the encounter that brings Mal to tears, when he didn't cry for losses that hit much closer to home. Perhaps Mal has a touch of reader in him as well? Really liked Jayne's 'don't forget to check the women-folk for jewelry.' Count on Jayne to stick unsentimentally to the greedy business at hand.
Ella Greggs chapter 13 . 9/6/2010
Good chapter. I like the reveal about the dust being...well, you know. Don't want to put spoilers in the review. Favorite lines this chapter:

- 'Sounds military to me.' Sounds unconscionable to me.'

- Did I already say eight? Because it just turned seven.'
Ella Greggs chapter 10 . 9/1/2010
Okay, now it's getting creepy/scary! I have a bad feeling that wasn't River at all, but some dust-covered apparition. I really don't think it was a good idea for Mal to leave the ship, he should have trusted his instincts and stayed put.

I meant to say, I really liked the swift pace of the last chapter, and Kaylee and Jayne's easy interaction with one another. There is a chemistry between them for sure. One question: are they back to formally calling the ship 'Serenity' instead of 'Freedom', or is that just what the original crew call it?

Favorite line this chapter:

- Memories belonging to whoever remembered them.
Ella Greggs chapter 9 . 9/1/2010
Favorite lines this chapter:

- Jayne, are we married?

- Kaylee's life was a lot harder than Kaylee cared for.
Ella Greggs chapter 8 . 9/1/2010
Maybe it's just non-techie me, but I thought the description of Kaylee getting the power back on got a little plodding. I'm not sure we needed all that detail from "She tucked the tools between her thighs" to "the console screens came to life." Did enjoy the bit about "your right, no, your other right", though. I like that you have Jayne come to the conclusion River is just too unpredictable to work with. So many fics (Rayne and non-Rayne) have him soften towards her, so it's refreshing to see one where his attitude is, 'Hey, I gave her a chance. Then I gave her a second chance. Now I'm done.' And I liked the cliffhanger ending for this chapter, with River just...gone.
Ella Greggs chapter 7 . 8/31/2010
"They set off, an injured Kaylee taking charge of a deaf and dumb River who was in turn leading a blind Jayne by the hand"

To quote Zoe from the pilot, "Oh yeah, this is gonna go great!" Despite the occasional hint of British, the dialogue sounds very true to the show, particularly that whole exchange about wrapping Jayne's helmet in a rubber miniskirt. You have some great descriptions in the chapter, too, such as saying Kaylee's shoulder felt like there was a red-hot coal wedged deep within the ball of the joint. A great image and the reader can tell from that exactly how her shoulder feels and how much it must be bothering her. I really liked River's musings on the apparition that she (maybe?) saw - very poetic and evocative language there. The going's going to be kind of tricky from here on in - River can't hear, Jayne can't see and Kaylee is in an increasing amount of pain and slowly losing the use of her arm. But of course, they all insist on continuing to explore, over Mal's pointed objections! Mal has pretty much totally lost command authority, hadn't he?

Favorite line this chapter:

- She judged their efficacy, when it occurred to her to do so, by how others looked at her when they thought she wasn't watching.

- the dreaming moment of a child's death
Ella Greggs chapter 4 . 8/28/2010
Poor Mal! So going all respectable for MedExpress has him feeling emasculated and doing some shady and potentially dangerous business is going to make him a man again? So he tells Jayne he doesn't want any more crew hurt, but here he is, putting them all needlessly in danger. Truly a man of many moods and contradictions.
jane0904 chapter 14 . 8/28/2010
Very disturbing but very well written. Your description of the hangings made my skin crawl, it was so effective. Not sure I quite understand the end lines, but I'm sure they'll become clear before long. Well done!
vandevere chapter 14 . 8/27/2010
Oh, boy...

Creepy...creepy...creepy...

Somethin' tells me there's worse ahead for our crew...

This is shaping up to be a very un-nerving fanfic. Keep it up!

Vandevere
Ella Greggs chapter 2 . 8/25/2010
I really liked your swift, to-the-point telling of the Silver Kestrel and Hal Junior's history. Somehow the description of the ship itself reminded me a bit of the Titanic - huge, luxurious, doomed. I'm guessing this story is headed to a scary place where mutant Reaveresque child ghosts torment our brave crew. Still missing the presence of Simon and particularly Zoe in the group, but I am enjoying the dynamic between the four characters here. A lot of people over-right River's oddness, but you've struck a good balance here, using her rather minimally but to good effect. I think your Jayne voice wanders in and out a bit, though. It seemed OOC for him to call Kaylee an 'engine-rat' and I can't imagine Jayne saying "Yes. Please do." But I can well imagine his unsettled reaction to Kaylee's imitation of mutancy.

Favorite lines this chapter:

- All that planet buildin' 'd given Hal delusions of adequacy. (This sounds more like something Zoe or Mal would say, rather than Kaylee, but it's a great line)

- They were all kinds of freakish wrong (funny and scary at the same time, perfectly Firefly)
Ella Greggs chapter 1 . 8/24/2010
Loved the detail about the rag made from Wash's old shirt. Favorite line: 'I am open to belief'. Ha-ha!
TigeronFire1986 chapter 11 . 8/3/2010
K, so I really like this story, and that Kaylee is creeping Jayne out, but I really love Kaylee and Simon together. You're a really good writer.