Reviews for Wayward Ones
SPN Mum chapter 1 . 11/27/2015
Supernatural Fan Fiction Monthly Awards Review: November 2015

I would have liked to see a POV from Jim, maybe at the beginning, to show what his view of Sam, Dean, and John was. It would have given the POV of the Winchesters more impact, at least for me. I was also a little disappointed in Sam's view of Jim, as it didn't seem to be on a par with that of Dean and John. I thought Pastor Jim was the one who taught Sam to pray and to believe in angels, yet the conversation about God and angels was held with Dean.

I did enjoy seeing the difference that Jim made in John and Dean's lives, and the way that John felt about his boys when interacting with Jim, as though his parenting might be called into question. You did a good job showing that John did love his boys, but he didn't know how to let his quest take a back seat. Jim's loss was deeply felt by all three Winchesters, but it affected Dean the most.
Woman of Letters chapter 1 . 11/26/2015
Supernatural Fanfiction Monthly Awards Review

It's rare that a story leaves me breathless. You've put together a montage of scenes that hang together well and paint a picture of Pastor Jim and what he meant to each of the Winchesters. I loved that you started the story with Sam's words and ended them the same way. At first that beginning was confusing, with not enough context to know yet who was talking, and who the passage referred to- although it did intrigue me. I could guess that it referred to either Dean or Sam, and I even thought the speaker might have been Pastor Jim.

In terms of characterization, you were on the mark. There were parts, like the werewolf hunt, where I could see the story vividly, where Dean's reaction, putting Sam's amulet before himself, seemed so logical and in character.

Though the parts built the story nicely, there were when I was jarred out of it because of the time jumps. Specifically between John and Sam, in 1993, with the rawhead story, it took me a few minutes to wrap my head around the age differences with the boys. I kept thinking, "How old are they again?" One way to make the change between parts less jarring might be to put some reference or reminder of what's coming in the next part. That's not always easy to do, given that you're switching between both times and point of view. Yes, the headers help, but these morr organic connections in the text between oarts make it easier for the reader to make the jumps and keep up. In the first part of the story, you did that well.

This story was a pleasure to read and truly extraordinary. Thank you!
LeeMarieJack chapter 1 . 11/18/2015
Supernatural Fan Fiction Monthly Awards Review:

Thank you very much for an in depth look at a character who, while minimally shown in canon, projected an out-sized influence on all the Winchester men. You fleshed out the man, the character, the pastor, believably, thereby adding to the Winchester mythology. The flashbacks were feathered into the canon script quite skillfully, bookending your original work within the canon script. That was a well executed job even though the complete repetition of so much script potentially dragged for those readers who are as well acquainted with the story as you. Readers who perhaps are not as well acquainted with the various episodes most likely are grateful for such detail.
No Demand for Truth chapter 1 . 6/22/2015
Really well written. Thanks for writing.
SPNReadingManiac chapter 1 . 7/8/2013
Good story about Jim Murphy and the different memories and views the Winchesters had of him.
Freya922 chapter 1 . 7/6/2013
I am actually going to print this one out, it's so damn good. You did a beautiful job of taking each beloved character's point of view: John's, Dean's, and Sam's. I loved how you tied it together with the "Salvation, Iowa" bits, but also though their individual relationships with Pastor Jim. You captured the burdens, the pain, and the psychology of each and every one of them, nearly breaking my heart into bits. Furthermore, your writing - just your descriptions especially of their inner thoughts, emotions, and expressions - was evocative and original. Absolutely terrific fic.
JaniceC678 chapter 1 . 8/10/2012
:::::::going off in search of tissues now and to try to stop crying::::::::::
HeroicDean chapter 1 . 5/8/2012
Oh, my gosh! This story was so good in so many ways: The detail was amazing. I could completely picture ever scene in my head as I read it. I could picture their pain and anger over Jim's death. I completely loved it. I also appreciate the fact that you wrote such a wonderful story about Jim. Jim was one of those one-time characters that leaves you with the feeling that you want to get to know them better. I knew that Jim was important when they were so devastated over his death. Anyway, wonderful story.
BlackIceWitch chapter 1 . 3/5/2012
Unbelievably, incredibly awesome story.

The structure, past and present from the three points of view, was just perfect - and Sam's 10 yr old voice brought me to tears. All of the characterisations were superb, and the interwoven episodes were seamless.

Just an amazing piece of work - I hope you're writing professionally :D
ccase13 chapter 1 . 2/18/2012
I loved reading about Pastor Jim and the Winchesters. It was so obvious that he meant a lot to John Winchester and to the boys. Sam must have caught some of his faith but Dean never did.
KusajishiFukutaicho chapter 1 . 11/15/2011
*wonders* Ermmm...your story, does it tie in with the Brotherhood AU?

I mean, I read your A/N, but I got a little confused...but when I read it, I thought I did see some semblance of the Brotherhood AU, though not so strong that it becomes AU.

Great story! I think Pastor Jim's death was one of the saddest deaths tooooo. ):
Heartless BytchhakaHelenBach1 chapter 1 . 10/7/2010
Dean-no matter how far we wandered from each other, no matter how much we tried to untangle it, that bond was always going to be there.

Yup, that's why it's called Family, dude.

Pastor Jim-"Sometimes…you gotta let someone find their own way home."

Words of wisdom.

"Someday you'll learn that there's more to the truth than just the facts,

Took me awhile to learn that one.

John-They were my boys. But they didn't belong to me. Not anymore. Not after everything I'd allowed to be taken from them.-

Damn straight, kinda dropped the ball on that one John.

Sam-I think when he taught Dean everything he knew, he let go of the good parts. He just let them slip out and sink into Dean and then he walked away.-

I never thought of that.

told me dirty jokes until I laughed so hard, I got the hiccups.

Reminds me of a Billy Joel song. *sings "You May Be Right"*

-I watched Jim watch Dad with Dean, and I realized that I was seeing loneliness.-

Wow, what a line!

-But he stumbled slightly and thrust out a hand to balance himself against the car. I blinked. He was breaking before my eyes, and I found myself at a loss. I always thought my brother was the strongest person I'd ever meet. The one whom nothing got to.

Sometimes it's those we think we know best who elude us.

I've spent my whole life watching him. Watching, waiting, listening, absorbing. And I still missed it. I didn't know where the line was, or how deep the crevasse was buried inside him until one faded and the other broke him.-

Like watching the Titanic going down.

And feeling so helpless while seeing it happen before our very eyes.

-When I look back, I think, I should have seen, I should have known.-

We all tell ourselves that. Even when it's not true. That's a personal demon I face everyday.

GS, I'm in awe of your talent for hitting the bullseye inside the reader. Thank you for showing us facets unseen of the Winchesters. Thank you for showing us facets unseen within ourselves.
AZGirl chapter 1 . 8/8/2010
That was one of the things that bugged me about Jim and Caleb's characters - they're introduced and killed off in the same chapter. Good thing there are writers like you to explore their impact on the Winchesters...
Oceane2 chapter 1 . 8/4/2010
Gaelic, nice work with the Winchester's men memories about Pastor Jim, after reading this story, I would've liked to see more of him in the series.
mtee1958 chapter 1 . 7/22/2010
Fabulous story. You always get the feel of the characters... their dialogue always rings true. Thanks again.