Reviews for The FrontA Ten Minute Fic
James Birdsong chapter 1 . 12/18/2012
Great somehow
Rye-bread chapter 1 . 7/7/2010
I consider myself conversant in movies and TV shows. It is with a certain chagrin that I realized how ignorant I am of certain shows and fandoms. CNDRR is one of these. I made a dash to Wikipedia and was further chagrined to discover how long it’s been since the show was produced-20 years. Tempus fugit I also looked up Avogadro.

Dude. This story bespeaks serious erudition-far beyond the obvious plot. Let me deal with that first.

A nearsighted lackey who has issues controlling his sweet tooth. It makes me think of Jack who traded the family cow for the magic beans-except Jack fared better in the end. It makes me think of Esau, who traded away his patrimony for a bowl of lentil stew. Satan tried to beguile Christ in somewhat the same manner, by getting him to try and turn stones into bread. This also the premise of the movie “The Sting”. I’ve lost count of the number of junk emails I’ve gotten trying to con me out of some money by offering a fantastic financial opportunity-the shyster needed startup capital-or had to convert foreign assets to domestic currency.

Fatcat does what a lot of mobsters allegedly do-use a stooge as a courier to minimize the risk of a money trail if the courier is caught. Hopefully, the risk is worth it, if the courier doesn’t have the wit to put self-preservation above immediate gratification. In this sense, the story is very much a parable-except Mole’s good sense is as clouded as his eyesight. Hope the aftertaste of the candy bar outweighed the discomfort of a painful demise-but I wax verbose on that aspect.

Now-Avogadro the Mole.

I learned about a lot of famous scientists in school: Aristotle, Archimedes, Gregor Mendel, Isaac Newton, Galileo, Darwin, etc. (I use the term “scientist” broadly-one can argue modern laboratory method didn’t exist before the modern historical epoch.) I even remember hearing the term “mole” used as a unit of measure-I think in H.S. chemistry-in 1967.

But I don’t recall reading about Amedeo Avogadro until today-and I don’t know that I’ll retain the name, except in relation to the concept of Avodagro’s Constant as the number of sub-molecular particles contained in a mole, or a mole as a measure of equivalent mass-asuming I even have a grasp of the idea. You obviously did from whatever schooling you had. Brilliant naming scheme, my brother-my fellow Bueno Nacho Ned-you prodigy in disguise, you.

That’s a lot of material in a 10 min. story
The J.A.M. a.k.a. Numbuh i chapter 1 . 7/7/2010
No doubt that "Mr. Avogadro" transferred the account to another name and a lizard now had access to the safe deposit box...

...and Mr. Avogadro was never seen again...

Great story!