Reviews for Protective
Hawki chapter 3 . 6/10/2014
It's a weird paradox that this is the weakest chapter for me in that it's the closest of the three chapters to the cartoon. So, less nerd rage, less entertainment, etc.

But it's still okay in on its own. Certainly it captures the bond between the two, along with Sokka's antagonism towards Zuko, which is fitting for this stage of the overall storyline (cartoon-wise at least). Just...well, nerd rage is fun sometimes. Surely you understand. :)
Hawki chapter 2 . 6/6/2014
-"What would you do if they tried to take me away?" Sokka responds, "I'd kill them all."

Touching on what I mentioned in the last chapter, I simultaneously like and hate this line. Like in that it says a lot without saying much in terms of characterization. Hate in that cartoon-Sokka would never say such a thing. Well, I’ve expoused the belief that an adaptation should be considered on two scales (e.g. to cite a recent example I consider ‘The Desolation of Smaug’ to be a good film but a bad adaptation), so on that note…

-Early parts, like the interaction. Katara…well, again on the two scale system. Adaptation-wise, she feels like possessing all the negative aspects of cartoon-Katara (bossy, condescending, etc.), with few of the good ones (rational, caring, etc.). Story-wise, it’s strong characterization on its own.

-Not much more to say I’m afraid, due to its short length. But it’s pretty much a case of what I said in the previous review, just more of it. In terms of writing technique/characterization, it’s quite good. In terms of cartoon-characterization, it feels like a 180. Though that’s the film’s fault, not yours.
Hawki chapter 1 . 5/25/2014
...I'm already hating it.

No, not this fic. I assume it's accurate to the movie (which I haven't seen, closest was a Nostalgia Critic review), which gets my blood boiling given the role reversal of the two here. So, taking it on its own, it works. Assuming it's true to the movie, then it's given me another reason not to watch it given the characterization reverse of the two characters from how they're portrayed in the cartoon.
MoffandAvencore chapter 3 . 7/5/2013
I...suddenly feel like hugging my big brother. O_O great job! They were very in character! VERY WELL DONE! :D
Smile-I'mTheEndOfAllThatYouSee chapter 3 . 8/18/2012
I hope you do more of these like when Sokka is angry that Aany accidently burns Katara, or when in "the Painted Lady", Sokka promises to Katara that he will never turn his back on her.
Smile-I'mTheEndOfAllThatYouSee chapter 2 . 8/18/2012
I like the ferocity of Sokka when he says "I'd kill them all"
Smile-I'mTheEndOfAllThatYouSee chapter 1 . 8/18/2012
You did well. No mistakes whatsoever
Waterfall13 chapter 1 . 8/6/2012
This is cool.) I also agree about the movie. I hated it with a fierce passion...
thehazeleyedloser chapter 3 . 7/12/2012
Sweet and lovely… so damn capturing! :)
Guest chapter 3 . 7/7/2012
awwww sweetness...i agree the movie SUCKED! it should b illegal to screw up a series that badly i mean they pronounced aangs name wrong an made haru a girl...(lol) lefted out some people(suki) and in my opinion the bending was slow lookin like it was creeping up on people...
Kelseycup53 chapter 3 . 6/5/2012
I didn't really like the movie, but these 3 parts were my favorites. And the way you wrote them actually makes me want to watch the movie again. I love how descriptive you were, and the way you wrote it seemed very professional. Great job! I also didn't notice any grammatical or spelling errors, so that's nice, too. :)
JackieStarSister chapter 3 . 1/6/2012
I thought the beginning of the previous chapter was a little weird, with Katara trying to distract herself, and Sokka coming to her because he wants to talk about what to do even when he's acting like he's against going.

I liked this chapter. You recognized and brought to light all the fear and anger Sokka must have felt at that moment, something easily overlooked in the action of the cartoon and movie. I especially liked the two paragraphs before the last one, about Sokka's relationship with Aang and his hatred of Zuko. If you place this in the context of the series, it would explain why Sokka hates Zuko so much, besides the more obvious reasons.

Anyway, good job on this. I hope you'll write more for Avatar: The Last Airbender.
JackieStarSister chapter 1 . 1/6/2012
I like this! You really capture the siblings' chemistry and relationship, all kind of condensed in one scene.

Frankly, I don't hate the movie, I can watch it and enjoy it, and the sets were impressive; but I do dislike the watering-down of characters. Still, it had some worthwhile scenes.

I thought Katara's breakdown and the "peculiar joy" each came a bit suddenly.

I liked this line: "warriors do not broadcast their pain when others require their strength." It's an interesting way to look at it, and I can easily see Sokka thinking that. Also, I thought this was very true and in character: "Sokka is sure he sees a flash of defiance cross her face—Katara is a restless spirit by nature, and Waterbending is as much a part of her as his boomerang is of him".
The Dark Knight's Revenge chapter 3 . 6/13/2011
Awww that's sooo sweet! 3 :D
AniLovesMe chapter 3 . 9/29/2010
This three-shot was SO AWESOME! It makes me want to see the movie now, if only to see how they portray Sokka and Katara's brother/sister relationship. I absolutely loved reading this!