Reviews for Checkmate
sasunaru13 chapter 1 . 8/27/2015
wow
Phoenix chapter 1 . 1/3/2013
Love the little drabble, it was great! I honestly don't know why, but the words, "Russia and America had been playing it for over thirty years. In the dark. Smiling." just make me love this fic more. Never really though of the Cold War in this perspective. Nice story!
Prince SuperSharky chapter 1 . 9/5/2011
This was amazing-with such a simple rule, you managed to portray the Cold war. You even managed to expand on the metaphor, and I commend you on that!

To be honest though, I was expecting America to invoke the Polish Law as soon as I read the summary, but when I started to read the story itself, I soon found myself to be wrong.

And you just made this my head canon too~

They're obviously afraid of each other-the don't want to take the risk of starting a new game, andthey don't want to back down.

This is probably the most intense game of chess ever. Great job!
CrimsonAccent chapter 1 . 7/10/2011
I like it, plain and simple.

Especially the line where you compare them to snipers after the same target.

And of course they're /smiling/. And I guess Alfred asking for a /real/ game is a clever allusion to the fact that no one *actually* went to war. Just prepared, prepared, prepared.

It would have been nice to read a bit more, but lengthening it would have dragged it out, probably.
Takada Saiko chapter 1 . 9/5/2010
An interesting take on the cold war. I love the interaction between them!

TS
bbissocute chapter 1 . 8/23/2010
Wow. Really interesting take. I like it. Great job.
vercatosso chapter 1 . 8/3/2010
You set the mood really well at the beginning!

I love this chess metaphor for the Cold War, and I love the way you did it, too. A game with just kings - agressive, yet no real progress is ever made. Bravo!
Fai'swingedchronicles chapter 1 . 7/10/2010
Huh this is a coool take on the cold war! Theres also the whole 'special' tension between the two theory ;) lol I like both but your sounds way more reasonable!
KSFWolfe chapter 1 . 7/9/2010
Eerie...I like it. The way you described the small, dark, intorogation-style room really captures the imagination.

The Cold War as a stalemate chess game...? Interesting take on things. This whole piece is very dark and intriguing. Well done!