Reviews for Memento Mori
roslintower chapter 1 . 4/25/2011
Wow...amazingly written. Very thoughtful, full of interesting observations. Well done.
tinyriot chapter 1 . 3/23/2011
Death and the afterlife are fascinating subjects that can be interpreted in so many different ways, and I enjoyed your version immensely.

"It's somewhat funny, when you think about it. Why does someone who's dead need to be notified of something so obvious?" ... "I guess death takes getting used to."

This made me think of the television show 'Dead Like Me,' which centers around a group of reapers in Seattle. The main protagonist, George, dies in the pilot and instead of having an afterlife is stuck reaping souls.

Also, I feel silly for asking but ...

"Just be grateful that your final moments were compelling-like your flashback to the scene at my grave."

-Just to clarify, Draco didn't die at Harry's grave but somewhere else?

Once the reapers have reaped the souls, the dead are able to view their bodies and consequently the immediate affects of their death. Idk if that's a good thing or not.

Everyone's afterlife was different and one of the reapers decided to piggyback one man's afterlife. Well, Just as Harry doesn't quite understand how "The Powers That Be" worked, the other reapers were confused and frustrated when they received no answers to where she disappeared to. That's how I feel death is like, no matter how much you try to understand, you'll end up with more questions than answers, even after you experience death.

"In the end, everything's a test."

I feel like this statment works for life and death. My life is one giant exam in which I just so happen to keep forgetting to bring a no. 2 pencil.

Idek, this review is pretty random.
Rameelia chapter 1 . 2/8/2011
You'd think a story about death and dying would be heartrending and disturbing, but there's something about your fic that I found... peaceful. I can't really put my finger on it. Perhaps it's the way you've structured the story, the flow of the narrative, presented as memories (for the most, or I should say, first part) that slow down the pace of the story, helping Malfoy, and the readers, to adjust to the suddenness of death, if that makes sense.

I thought your characterisation of Draco and Harry was simply impeccable. I especially enjoyed this place:

"In that moment, facing his grave, I felt neither hate nor sorrow. What I felt was shame—shame for not having the courage to face the man when he was alive—and pity for the rest of the world who had lost their hero. But there was no sorrow."

This is just so like Draco. And, strangely enough, you've portrayed him in such a way that I couldn't help but sympathise with him, even though he's the one character I can honestly say I don't like. At all. Perhaps it's exactly that lack of animosity that made me warm up to him.

I also liked the not-quite-friendly banter between Draco and Harry, and the irony of their situation.

All in all, a well-written and somewhat thought-provoking story. I enjoyed it immensely. Thanks for sharing!
Countess Whitewing chapter 1 . 1/7/2011
Ah, thee Afterlife... The next great adventure in Dumbledore's words. It seems as if we are truly sailing into the unknown...

The age old question of what lies on the other side that we all hope in some way I'm sure isn't just the crushing black oblivion.

You really would think that Draco would get someone like Narcissa, Lucius or Severus when carrying on. Wouldn't you..?

It's like Harry getting Dumbledore... James, Lily, Sirius, or Remus. Just 'cause that's who you expect, doesn't mean Fate isn't gonna throw ya a curve-ball and give you Snape or someone else like maybe Tom Riddle instead.

Makes me wonder if in something like this, would Albus Dumbledore have gotten Gellert Grindelwald to explain that he's dead.

Truly ironic to end up with someone that you wouldn't expect but still had a impact on your life. That's deep for sure. It definitely made me think... Cheers to you!
Blonde Pickle Mule chapter 1 . 10/29/2010
I really liked this, and I find it really ironic Malfoy died in front of Harry's grave. There's something about it that makes me...giggle as innaropriate as that is. What are people going to say when they find him?

Anyways, this was wonderfully written and brilliantly sardonic. I loved your characterization of Harry and Malfoy and really loved your description of the fates. Harry got Snape? Lucky him eh?
Julia Claire chapter 1 . 9/3/2010
I really liked this piece. I loved the line, "My father, on the other hand, never contemplated his death. Instead, he somehow believed himself to be immortal, stubbornly refusing his mortality right up until the very end" and the image of Malfoy hunched over Harry's grave, tapping it with a cane. Also, I liked the irony of Harry breaking the news of Draco's death to Draco, and Snape breaking it to Harry. The whole piece is so original - I've never read anything like it - and so well-written, with Draco and Harry both very in character.
Free Dreamer Night Writer chapter 1 . 8/22/2010
A really interesting story. I like how Harry was sent to inform Draco of his death with the irony of Draco visiting harry's grave.
coeurfeyrac chapter 1 . 8/21/2010
I quite like this. It's imaginative in interesting, and it keeps the reader going to the end. I especially liked the way you portrayed Draco!
FirstYear chapter 1 . 7/30/2010
Very well written.

Okay, I have sat here staring at the screen wondering how to explain what I liked and it is simple. It IS well written, and than means more than just grammar and spelling. It is the type of story that people will pass by because it is not the character of their liking, or a pairing they find exciting, and will miss something truly good.

Brava you can be proud of this one.
iMissHP chapter 1 . 7/19/2010
It's brilliant. I love the tone of it, funny but definitively serious. It's very interesting, and I love how both stay in character. Also, I love the atmosphere you managed to create. Amazing job!
Boogum chapter 1 . 7/16/2010
This was completely unexpected, but I liked it. I'd say more,but I'm feeling rather sleepy. Just know I really enjoyed it. _
xabandonedaccountx chapter 1 . 7/14/2010
This was very interesting. You managed to keep both Harry and Draco in character and gave it the right tone. I love the irony of Harry telling Draco that he's dead and the 'Powers that be' as 'buggers for torment and irony'
Bad Mum chapter 1 . 7/13/2010
Interesting and intriguing. You have Malfoy's tone just right, and I love the irony of Harry telling him he;s dead (and Snape telling Harry). Very well done indeed.
DoubleCaramel chapter 1 . 7/13/2010
This one is fantastic Lia (and a true accomplishment since you wrote it in your phone while in hospital), I absolutely love it and though it made me sad (I hate thinking about death) it was a very entertaining view of Malfoy's life and how me maintained his sarcastic and ironic comments even after death.

Also, I loved the concept of the 'Powers that be' being "buggers for torment and irony.", poor Draco, though I don't Harry got the upper hand either (now, /that's/ a one-shot I'd like to read!).

Anyway, this is a lovely piece that remains true to both their characters, it's also nice to see how different (but still the same) they were in old age.

Well done. _
rhythm-within chapter 1 . 7/12/2010
I found this story to be quite interesting and perfectly open-ended. Thanks for a bit of fresh air. Sometimes, it's good to deviate from the norm.