Reviews for Scenes from a Summer
bluecatcinema chapter 4 . 7/14/2013
This is a pretty good story. I know it's been a while since you've updated, but are you going to finish this?
Romance and Musicals chapter 4 . 8/6/2010
I like all of these a lot! I googled the wheel bug and almost crapped my pants, that's how scary it was! And you were pretty on-target with Kim's POV in this last one (Here's Lookin' at YOU, Kid!). I myself, being a female, don't go for the pretty-boy types. I like the more uniquely handsome, really smart and funny types.
Slipgate chapter 4 . 8/1/2010
I find these enjoyable. I figured there would be a chapter 3 involving going to Ethiopia but each plot thread is dropped after the "scene" I take it?
Sentinel103 chapter 4 . 7/30/2010
TEMC let me say first that I haven't read much of your work. I plead the excuse of writing my own tales which takes up a fair amount of my time.

I found this quite enjoyable and to my taste personally. You got R.B to beta for you? Well done (please accept a manly knucklebump).

The rest I will put in a PM later when I have more time to think and read more of your work.

Larry (Sentinel 103)
Reader101w chapter 4 . 7/30/2010
Interesting stuff so far,

You seem to be writing in a very movie-like way, making sure the readers get the image. It work pretty well.

Is the more one the way? I like these small scenes of just Kim and Ron.

keep up the good writing,

reader101w
princessvmlg chapter 4 . 7/29/2010
hehe.. Oh Ron...

Good chapter.. but no kissing? xD ignore me there L
King in Yellow chapter 4 . 7/28/2010
I think you requested a review, so I felt compelled to write one. I would not have read this story because of the summary. My biggest problem is the context in which you are trying to set the story. I ignore any story which refers to the Graduation episode.

Both times the series ended the writers insisted on writing cra**y pseudo-apocalyptic stories. I think they read too many Marvel comic books - where every title had to have two lame-a** pseudo-apocalyptic stories a year. Upping the threat level to the earth is largely an excuse for bad writing. "How does Galactus eat worlds?" "FOR GOD'S SAKE, MAN, STOP ASKING FOR LOGIC! HE'S GOING TO EAT THE WORLD!" I mean, they had Dazzler fighting Galactus. Dazzler! And you have two choices after a poorly written pseudo-apocalyptic piece of cra*. You can ignore it, or deal with it in a serious fashion. In 99.5% of the stories they simply ignore the fact the world was nearly destroyed in the previous issue. (Or, you can move the action to another world/universe/parallel dimension and actually destroy it for a change.)

The Kim Possible writers ignored StD in season four - other than Shego holding up one of the stupid kid's meal dolls in one scene in one episode. If they were incapable of developing a serious relationship between Kim and Ron they were certainly incapable of taking a serious look at the aftermath of the sort of worldwide devastation shown in StD. Basically the writers were ignoring their own story at the end of Graduation. After the ceremony in the ruined auditorium we have a beach party and Kim and Ron heading off to college - nothing wrong in the world. They weren't any more capable of a serious look at the repercussions of the sort of damage shown in Graduation than they were capable of showing it for StD.

So, finally a comment on your story… They are nicely written Kim-Ron vignettes. If I ignore the context in which you've set the story I could enjoy them quite a bit. In context, however, the characters come off extremely superficial and shallow. There has been worldwide devastation, and they've pretty much chatting like normal, as if nothing was wrong with the world. If you're going to ignore Graduation - ignore it completely. There are any number of accidents, natural disasters, or experiments by the Tweebs you could invent to destroy the Possible home if you needed the Possibles to be living with the Stoppables for awhile. I don't see Kim sitting around watching a lot of movies and television in the aftermath of that level of destruction. "What a drag! The world's been decimated and now production is delayed on Agony County."

What you wrote was very nice. But if the show's writers ignore their own pseudo-apocalyptic nonsense you should either follow their lead or write a far more serious and darker piece.

My opinion anyway. I've mentioned Graduation in one or two stories, but only as a 'magic wand' to grant a pardon to Drakken and Shego. Setting this in a Graduation context does not make it stronger, in my opinion, it serves to make the characters look shallow.
Rye-bread chapter 4 . 7/28/2010
To what shall I compare this? Part paean, part lament, part entreaty…

Like David’s Psalms: “Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O LORD. Lord, hear my voice: let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications.” (from Psa. 130) Lover and friend hast thou put far from me,” (from Psa. 88)

…part lovelorn song like the Shirelle’s song. “Tonight you're mine completely / You give your love so sweetly / Tonight the light of love is in your eyes / But will you love me tomorrow?”

Kim appears to Ron as Beatrice to Dante to be his companion in the journey from Perdition to Paradise.

You give words to the longing of every person’s heart, whatever their gender, age, or state of life.

Some, like C.S. Lewis, discover it in their closing years. Some, like Jane Austen, never do. Yet their words console innumerable readers.

May the balm be laid on all our hearts.
CajunBear73 chapter 4 . 7/28/2010
Ya know, it's funny. The same day this comes out here, there's a headline on msn dot com of how the 'beauties should date the beasts'... Karma, coincidence, or something else?

Maybe, maybe not.. But Kim's take on this rings true of what women do want in a guy besides the pretty boy who always seems to be out there.

Substance and what's inside rule the day, when they take the time to see it. If some ever do.

And it seems that someone has gone beyond the looks of Ron Stoppable, then came to appreciate what she saw. It took her a while, but Kim looked beyond the visual with Ron and took in the whole package after her epiphany at the cactus. She already had an appreciation for the rest and it just added to what she loves about her best friend.

Who says those old B&W's don't contribute anything to today's world?

And I think the Tweebs had never let Kim find out about them bugging the living room there. She'll personally strap them into one of her Dad's rockets...

CB73
Clutch28 chapter 4 . 7/28/2010
Ron's insecurities are well known, but I think this is the first time I can recall where he questions his looks rather then just rather shrugging it off.

A lot is said about women needing that positive reinforcement at times but really little is said bout guys needing the same thing. Ron would be the type to need that type of reinforcement. Heck, recently i just went throught the same type of thing Ron did and needed that reinforcement myself.

Well done.
Katsumara chapter 4 . 7/28/2010
A shame it's going on hiatus, but what must be done.. must be done.

This chapter was just great. There's absolutely no problem with super-fluffy mush. I know these things! Seriously though, EMC. Was just a fantastic read and I loved the bit at the end with Jim and Tim. Even they know a serious moment when they see it.
screaming phoenix chapter 4 . 7/28/2010
Poor Ron. With all his insecurities I can see him wondering what Kim sees in him. I'm reminded of that old Dr. Hook song,"When your in love with a beautiful woman" 'When you're in love with a beautiful woman you go it alone.'

It's a good thing Kim can pick up on Ron's moods and reassure him that he has a lot going for him including her complete support.

Jim and Tim just might be growing up a bit. Or they rightfully fear their sisters wrath.

Nice Job with this. I always enjoy the private time with these two.
Gomro Morskopp chapter 3 . 7/28/2010
This works - I had a similar experience with a cicada when I was a wee tyke - and I don't think a detailed description of a wheel bug is necessary. If I have a question about this chapter, it's pretty minor: are wheel bugs indigenous to Colorado?
CajunBear73 chapter 3 . 7/27/2010
Poor Ron, he really needs a scorecard, with pictures, of all the players in the universe who can and cannot hurt him...

CB73
Rye-bread chapter 3 . 7/27/2010
Construction foreman: (quietly, shushing the sniggers) "Eyes on your work, guys. It IS Gene Stoppable's boy, after all."

The sandwich vendor has been making more wares. He wipes the spatters of mayo off his chin, nose, glasses, and forehead, and grumbles to himself. "Didn't that kid work for Bueno Nacho? How did THEY cope?"

Alas. Ron is no Dr. Acari. His Oneness With The Universe, his zeal to rescue his Kim, and his desire to return the favor have gone to his head. We trust his Brotherhood With All Living Things is not short-lived.

A gem of a chpt.