Reviews for Love Comes Last
teambellaedward chapter 11 . 10/24/2010
Lilacs4All chapter 7 . 10/24/2010
Best Parts:

"Edward," he says, "this is a beautiful young lady, you better treat her right. If Chief Swan was alive, and you hurt his little girl there would be hell to pay. Just remember there are enough of his old friends around that would be more than happy to take up that payment, if you let this little one down." Dr. Snow slaps Edward on the shoulder, and from the sound of it, it hurt.

Then Edward Cullen snickers! I burst out laughing because it's so out of character to see Edward snicker. He is acting like a little boy who is about to get caught doing something naughty.

"Um...," Edward stutters, looking down at the floor. "How do you feel about sleeping with me?"

Okay, I am wide awake now.

I look at him, my eyes as wide as they can get. I open my mouth several times, but nothing comes out. Suddenly, he gets a shocked look on his face.

"No, God, no Bella, I don't mean sleep together... I mean sleep in my bed." He is talking so fast it's hard to keep up with him. "I'm thinking, maybe, Esme will check on you in the morning and if you aren't in your bed, she will check my room. What better way to let them know we're together." He finally takes a breath and I stare at him.

"Oh... okay, if you think that is a good idea, and it won't give her a heart attack," I answer him when I'm finally able to talk.

His face breaks out in a big grin. "Great," he says. "Oh, and put this on." He throws me the pajama top that matches his bottoms and turns to go into his room, leaving the door open.

He laughs. "I slept pretty good. In shifts."

I frown at him. "In shifts?"

He grins and runs his fingers through his hair. "Do you know you talk in your sleep? It's very entertaining."

"Oh, God!" I throw my hands over my face, totally mortified. My mother used to joke about how loud I was when talking in my sleep. "What did I say?" I ask through my fingers.

"Most of it didn't make a lot of sense, just a few disjointed words here and there." He smiles at me. "However, you did say my name quite a few times. It took me a few times to realize you were asleep."

He didn't say anything for a few minutes, and then he leaned in very close to my face and ran his fingers down my cheek. With a smirk on his face he asks, "Do you dream about me, Bella?"

I swallow and try to sound nonchalant. "What do you want to know?" I ask innocently, while inside my head I am contemplating how many different ways I can torture Edward for leaving me to deal with this.
Lilacs4All chapter 6 . 10/24/2010
Best Parts:

Strategies are discussed and planned. I realize how serious this is when Edward says, "This is a war, but one we are going to win."

I look at him. "What good would it be to be bitter?" I ask him. "It wouldn't change anything. It wouldn't bring back my Mom or my Dad. It wouldn't make the pain any less. I suppose I could wallow in pity, but what would that accomplish?"

There is an underlying reason, which has been running around in my head, which is also the truth.

"You'll think it's stupid," I tell him, fidgeting with my fingers.

"I won't think anything you say or feel is stupid, Bella. Please tell me."

I blink rapidly, trying to keep the tears from falling. "I just want to feel like I belong somewhere," I tell him so softly, I am not sure he can hear me.

He looks at me confused. "I'm not sure I understand."

I look at him, and his expression is so sincere, it gives me strength. "Ever since Charlie was killed, I've been lost, like I don't belong anywhere or with anyone. I have no family. If I marry you, I will be part of a family again." I shrug. "Told you it was stupid."

He hugs me tight to his chest and speaks softly, his mouth against my head. "You already are a part of this family, Bella; don't you know that?"

I nod. "I know, but it doesn't feel permanent, I feel like I don't have a connection to anything. If I am your wife, Alice will really be my sister, Emmett will be the big brother I never had, Esme will be like my Mom. I will feel like I fit in somewhere. Does that make sense?"

Edward kisses my forehead. "Perfect sense. Even though you may not see it, you're part of this family now." He pulls back and looks at me sharply, before sighing, "But, I can understand how you feel, not having any 'blood' relatives."

I lean back to look at him. "Even when we get divorced, we will still be family, right? I mean, we will always be friends, won't we?"

He laughs at me. "Of course we will, Bella. We will have the most amicable divorce in history. You will always be my best friend." Then he laughs and says, "But, don't tell Alice."
Lilacs4All chapter 5 . 10/24/2010
Best Parts:

"I don't know. It seems to me you're always trying to take me to bed, get me naked, or marry me. You know, sweet Bella, all you really have to do is ask." He waggles his eyebrows at me.

Really? How drunk is he?

"First of all, I am not trying to get you naked, just get your shirt off, second, you are too drunk to even know what or who you are talking to, and believe me Dr. Cullen, if I wanted to, I would!" and I waggle my eyebrows right back at him.

"Edward?" I ask softly. "I wish there was something I could do to help. I am really sorry."

Once again, he looks at me without saying anything, with the strangest look on his face. He stands up and walks over to the window with his back to me.

He whispers, "Maybe... " He stops, shaking his head.

"What, Edward? Please tell me." I beg, "If there is anything you need, I'll do whatever I can."

I can't imagine what I could possible do to help, but I will do anything to ease the pain on his face.

He stands for the longest time, staring out the window, not moving.

Then very softly he says, "Marry me."
Lilacs4All chapter 4 . 10/24/2010
Best Part:

"Sorry," he finally utters, "I've got to go." He starts toward his car, and I don't know what comes over me, but I reach out and grab his hand.

"Hey," I say, as he turns to look at me, "my offer still stands."

He just stares at me for a moment before he gives me a small, sad smile and nods. I stand there and watch as he drives away, tears flowing down my face.
Lilacs4All chapter 3 . 10/24/2010
Bella is so adorable when drunk...

Best Part:

Looking at me sadly, he says, "Bella, if you happen to know a woman, who my father would approve of, who would marry me, no questions asked, without expecting anything and would allow me to live my life, bring her on. I am wide open to suggestions. But, since I don't think that woman exists, then yes, in answer to your question, I am going to let my father win this one."

He sits with his eyes closed, looking defeated. I know it's probably the alcohol, because if I was sober I

would never have the thoughts I was having, much less, allow the words to leave my mouth.

"I know just the woman. Me."

Edward has just taken a big swallow of his beer, and it comes flying out of his mouth as he gasps in shock. He keeps his eyes trained on me as I grab some napkins to clean up his mess. I hand him one to wipe his face.

"Excuse me?" he stutters.

"I will marry you." Damn, there goes my mouth again.

"Why, Ms. Swan, did you just propose to me?" He smirks at me, as I feel the blush cover my whole body.

"Hear me out, okay." I demand, trying to fight the urge to run from the room, but now that I have opened my mouth, I had to continue. "Carlisle likes me, I think. He knows I am not after the Cullen money or name. It doesn't have to be a real marriage, you can keep doing whatever makes you happy, and Carlisle gives you what you have worked so hard for, so everyone wins."

I am speaking so fast, and pacing the room, that I am not even sure he can follow what I am saying. I glance over at him, and he is staring at me like I have lost my mind. I cringe internally, realizing I have just stepped way out of line. I sit down and cover my face with my hands.

"Or not. Forget everything I just said. I shouldn't drink...Oh God." I am spending a perfect evening with Edward, with him more relaxed than I have ever seen him, I just blew it all to pieces by opening my big, inebriated mouth.

Edward kneels down it front of me and removes my hands from my face. I am too ashamed to look at him. I feel his long fingers under my chin as he forces me to look at him.

He smiles at me, and I feel my heart start to race as he looks deep into my eyes. "Bella...that is the most unselfish thing anyone has ever offered to do for me. Thank you. But I could never ask you to do that."

"You aren't asking, I'm offering," I interrupt.

He takes my face in his hands and gently kisses my forehead. "Still, you don't realize what you would be giving up. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the offer, but no. I know I made it sound bad, but nothing is written in stone yet. It is possible my father is just blowing smoke."

I look up at him, and I can see he doesn't believe that for a moment, but I just nod my head, because I am feeling very drunk and very foolish. He helps me up and hugs me tightly, before leaning back and looking at me.

"You are a unique woman, Bella Swan. Thank you for tonight, the company, the pizza, the offer of marriage." He laughs, and I try to glare at him, but I don't think it works, since he starts to laugh.

"Come on, wifey." He laughs at me, "let's get you to bed." He helps me up the stairs, because I have trouble walking when I haven't had anything to drink, so I am sure he is only doing it so I don't fall backwards and break my neck.

Edward helps me into bed, after forcing me to drink a huge glass of water and swallow a couple of Tylenol, explaining I will appreciate it in the morning. The last thing I remember, are his lips, touching my forehead and hearing his sweet voice saying softly, "Goodnight, Bella, and thank you."
Lilacs4All chapter 1 . 10/24/2010
That is some first chapter!
sujari6 chapter 11 . 10/24/2010
Carlisle has definitely got something wrong with him mentally. Bella's right. I don't know how Edward's restrained himself all these years. Great chapter. Update soon please.
vampiregurl chapter 10 . 10/20/2010
she knew her heart is going to get broken. why did she go through it? she's a masochist. i hope her sacrifice pays back someday.
Midnight Angels Say GoodNight chapter 10 . 10/17/2010
I can't believe Carlisle would pull something like that, even though i was expecting it. Update soon please. Great chapter
cheermom13 chapter 10 . 10/13/2010
i love this story. cant wait for the next chap
pmk kelly chapter 4 . 10/11/2010
Poor edward
ScrapNSign chapter 10 . 10/11/2010
Enjoyed this chapter, and Carlisle is out of line, but glad that Edward stood up for Bella...I just wish he would show an inkling of a hint that he'd like her as a wife...he's appalled by it, and it's so sad, but that's what makes the story work so far. Please update soon!
pmk kelly chapter 1 . 10/10/2010
Just found this story today loved the 1st chapter
livvi84 chapter 10 . 10/10/2010
This is definitely my new favorite fanfic. I can't believe I didn't find this sooner! Having said that, (which is absolutely true, by the way) I just wanted to throw it out there that federal and state laws state that ante-nuptial (aka prenuptial) agreements can't include clauses about custody of future children. I don't know if that's something you might want to incorporate into your story or not. I've been practicing family law for a number of years now and would be more than happy to answer any questions if you have any.
1,628 | « Prev Page 1 .. 95 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 .. Last Next »