Reviews for Love Comes Last
sherryola chapter 11 . 10/25/2010
Wow. When I first read the prologue and realized what this story was about, I didn't know if I wanted to continue. i can't handle much angst, and the idea of the arranged marriage made me uncomfortable. Seriously, Edward doesn't look too good in the story, because he's basically using Bella to get what he wants. But I have a feeling he may actually care for bella but doesn't want to admit it. and bella, well, she doesn't look too good either, putting her own life on hold, to marry him, hopelessly loving him, thinking this is all she can have. So, I nearly stopped at the prologue.

But the darn thing is so well written. And Edward and Bella are such engaging characters, i couldn't stop! The story makes me uncomfortable, more for what I expect might happen after the prologue events than for anything that's happened so far. i may just throw myself off a cliff, if they divorce and go through tons of chapters of dating other people and all that jazz! grin. But you have made me really care about them, in particularl, Edward, and that surprised me so much, I had to continue. i thought I'd despise him, almost as much as I despise Carlisle. why not just walk away from the business? why not do what he wants instead of being his father puppet? Why not be a true doctor, like he'd always dreamed? Why use Bella in such a truly unkind way? And yet, I can't dislike him, and i really wish we could see what's going on in his head, because I think there's more than Bella understands. So, I've just got to know what happens!

Sherry
kayjanna chapter 11 . 10/25/2010
I am really liking your story. I will be glad when we get back to real time because I'm anxious to see how Edward and Bella work out. I'll be looking forward to your next update. Thank you for sharing.
Midnight Angels Say GoodNight chapter 11 . 10/24/2010
Great chapter, very much looking for the next chapter. Update soon
Humble4 chapter 11 . 10/24/2010
I hope that Edward has the new home checked for "Bugs". I can see his crafty lawyer suggesting it...since it came from Carlisle...

I would love to see an outtake of the conversation between Esme and Carlisle after he accused Poor Bella...

Best Part:

Edward starts to say something, but I stop him because this is my battle to fight. "Carlisle, I mean no disrespect, which is a lot more than you showed me this afternoon. But you had no right to accuse me of the things you did. I have never, nor would I ever, do anything to hurt this family, especially Edward. You didn't even ask me what happened, you just accused me of cheating on Edward and threatened to tell him, like I was some low life floozy..." I had to stop as the tears were starting again.

Edward pulls me tight against his chest as I hear a gasp and look up to see Esme standing in the doorway. "Carlisle, you didn't," Esme says astonished.

Carlisle glares at Edward and me before he turns to Esme. "I know what I saw and it's not acceptable behavior for a member of this family."

This only causes my anger to return. "You know what, Carlisle?" I yell, "Contrary to what you believe; I am not marrying you or your name, I am marrying Edward, and I love and respect him. If you have a problem with that, tough, but I will not change my life to fit into your idea of perfection. If you're ashamed to have me as a Cullen, I will gladly keep Swan as my name. Maybe Edward would even consider changing his to Swan, because Charlie, if he were still alive, would be damn proud to have Edward as a son, unlike you!" With that, I storm out of the room, but not before I hear Edward address Carlisle with such rage in his voice.

"You can hurt me all you want, but don't you ever speak to Bella the way you did this afternoon. Do you understand?" Edward states, calmly. "You ever hurt her again you can take your name and your corporation and shove them up you ass, because you will no longer have a son."
Humble4 chapter 10 . 10/24/2010
Best Parts:

A clause near the end of the agreement causes me to gasp. Edward looks over at me and frowns.

"What's wrong?" he asks.

I feel the tears in my eyes and I am finding it hard to breathe. I look up at Edward and watch as his face morphs into a mask of concern.

"Bella, what is it? What does it say?"

"Edward," I whisper, "I can't sign this."

"What? Why? What the hell has he written in there?" Edward practically yells.

I crawl over to him and point to the clause in the contract that freaks me out. I watch as his eyes grow wider.

"Edward, I know we'll never have children. But if we do and he believes for one minute that I would ever give them up he is crazier than either of us think." I say thickly, tears beginning to fall.

Edward reads aloud, "In the event of a divorce, Edward will retain full and complete custody of any children born from this union, Isabella will be granted generous visitation and will not be expected to pay child support."

He pulls me close to his side and kisses my forehead. "This is it, Bella. This is the test. He knows you, and he knows you would never agree to relinquish custody of any children we may have, if our relationship is real. Son of a bitch," he mutters, under his breath.

Edward reaches down and pulls me to my feet. "Come on, we are going to take care of this right now."

"I will not give up complete custody of our children."

I am surprised at how strong my voice sounds.

Carlisle leans back in his chair and removes his glasses. His eyes remain on me as he wipes down the lens, while chewing on his bottom lip.

When he doesn't say anything, I feel the need to continue. "If Edward and I have children and our marriage fails-which I don't think it will-I will agree to shared and equal custody, but under no circumstances will I give up my children. I would never keep Edward from them. I can't believe you would even ask me to do that."

"What the hell gave you the idea that Bella would ever agree to this?" Edward asks through clenched teeth. "What the hell gave you the idea that I would agree to this? You may have controlled me for most of my life, but I will be damned if you control any aspect of my children's lives. Do. You. Understand?"

"Edward stop being so dramatic," Carlisle says as he glares at Edward.

"Bella, this is a standard pre-nuptial; it can be adjusted and tweaked," Carlisle smiles at me. "I will have it changed to show that Edward and you will have joint custody, and an amount for child support.
Humble4 chapter 9 . 10/24/2010
Best Parts:

Suddenly, there is an earth shattering screech coming from Alice. Next thing I know this tiny girl lands on my lap and almost tips the sofa over. She is hugging me so tight I can't breathe and Edward has a panicked look his face, wondering if she is going to kill me.

"You're getting married," Alice finally says, as she continues to hug me in her death grip.

"Alice, please you're killing her." Edward grabs Alice and places her on the floor in front of us. He looks at me. "Are you okay?"

I laugh out loud and nod my head yes. "Alice," I tell her, "for someone so little you are very strong..., and loud."

She grabs my hand. "Let me see the ring."

She stares at the third finger of my left hand with her mouth hanging open, she looks at me, then Edward, then me, then Edward.

Edward and I look at each other and laugh, not sure what to expect. All of sudden and very quietly, Alice says, "Oh, Edward. You. Did. Good. This ring is gorgeous."

I sit down across from Alice. "I still feel like all this is a dream. I'm going to marry Edward Cullen! You do know that I have been in love with him since the first time I laid eyes on him, right?"

"I always knew you had a little crush on him, but I never thought the two of you would end up married," Alice squeals.

"Alice, I've wondered the same thing. But, you know what? I don't care. I love him, Alice. With everything I am, I love the man. I promise you, I will be the best damn wife a man could ever want. I will do everything in my power to make Edward happy."

I take a deep breath and continue. "I don't know if that is part of the reason for him marrying me. You'll have to ask him that question, but honestly, I don't care. He asked me to marry him, and no one was more shocked than me. Alice, he is good to me and that is all that matters to me." He is good to me, so that is not a lie.

Alice is beaming. She grabs me and hugs me tight. "I know you love him, it pours from every pore in your body. And, you know what? It doesn't matter why. You're happy. Edward is happy. I'm happy. Nothing else matters." She starts to giggle and it's contagious. Soon we are both giggling fools.

You know the saying, you could hear a pin drop? Well, that is what it sounded like in the Cullen living room. Edward and I stared into each other's eyes for a brief moment, before turning to see Alice, Esme, and Carlisle all looking at us like we had grown two heads.

Edward and I look at each other and we both laugh so hard tears are running down our faces. I glance at Alice, who is fuming at us, which only makes me laugh even harder.
Humble4 chapter 8 . 10/24/2010
Best Parts:

Edward and I sit on the floor in his bedroom, hiding from his parents. We have unleashed demons by admitting we are dating.

He runs his fingers down my cheek. "I don't want to hurt you, Bella," he says with the saddest look in his eye.

I take his hand in mine and look him straight in the eye. "Then don't."

I shake my head. "Okay, Edward, explain how this is going to work? We're married for five years or whatever, then we divorce, I meet someone else. How in the hell am I suppose to explain being married, to Edward Cullen no less, for all those years, yet I am still a virgin?"
teambellaedward chapter 11 . 10/24/2010
Humble4 chapter 7 . 10/24/2010
Best Parts:

"Edward," he says, "this is a beautiful young lady, you better treat her right. If Chief Swan was alive, and you hurt his little girl there would be hell to pay. Just remember there are enough of his old friends around that would be more than happy to take up that payment, if you let this little one down." Dr. Snow slaps Edward on the shoulder, and from the sound of it, it hurt.

Then Edward Cullen snickers! I burst out laughing because it's so out of character to see Edward snicker. He is acting like a little boy who is about to get caught doing something naughty.

"Um...," Edward stutters, looking down at the floor. "How do you feel about sleeping with me?"

Okay, I am wide awake now.

I look at him, my eyes as wide as they can get. I open my mouth several times, but nothing comes out. Suddenly, he gets a shocked look on his face.

"No, God, no Bella, I don't mean sleep together... I mean sleep in my bed." He is talking so fast it's hard to keep up with him. "I'm thinking, maybe, Esme will check on you in the morning and if you aren't in your bed, she will check my room. What better way to let them know we're together." He finally takes a breath and I stare at him.

"Oh... okay, if you think that is a good idea, and it won't give her a heart attack," I answer him when I'm finally able to talk.

His face breaks out in a big grin. "Great," he says. "Oh, and put this on." He throws me the pajama top that matches his bottoms and turns to go into his room, leaving the door open.

He laughs. "I slept pretty good. In shifts."

I frown at him. "In shifts?"

He grins and runs his fingers through his hair. "Do you know you talk in your sleep? It's very entertaining."

"Oh, God!" I throw my hands over my face, totally mortified. My mother used to joke about how loud I was when talking in my sleep. "What did I say?" I ask through my fingers.

"Most of it didn't make a lot of sense, just a few disjointed words here and there." He smiles at me. "However, you did say my name quite a few times. It took me a few times to realize you were asleep."

He didn't say anything for a few minutes, and then he leaned in very close to my face and ran his fingers down my cheek. With a smirk on his face he asks, "Do you dream about me, Bella?"

I swallow and try to sound nonchalant. "What do you want to know?" I ask innocently, while inside my head I am contemplating how many different ways I can torture Edward for leaving me to deal with this.
Humble4 chapter 6 . 10/24/2010
Best Parts:

Strategies are discussed and planned. I realize how serious this is when Edward says, "This is a war, but one we are going to win."

I look at him. "What good would it be to be bitter?" I ask him. "It wouldn't change anything. It wouldn't bring back my Mom or my Dad. It wouldn't make the pain any less. I suppose I could wallow in pity, but what would that accomplish?"

There is an underlying reason, which has been running around in my head, which is also the truth.

"You'll think it's stupid," I tell him, fidgeting with my fingers.

"I won't think anything you say or feel is stupid, Bella. Please tell me."

I blink rapidly, trying to keep the tears from falling. "I just want to feel like I belong somewhere," I tell him so softly, I am not sure he can hear me.

He looks at me confused. "I'm not sure I understand."

I look at him, and his expression is so sincere, it gives me strength. "Ever since Charlie was killed, I've been lost, like I don't belong anywhere or with anyone. I have no family. If I marry you, I will be part of a family again." I shrug. "Told you it was stupid."

He hugs me tight to his chest and speaks softly, his mouth against my head. "You already are a part of this family, Bella; don't you know that?"

I nod. "I know, but it doesn't feel permanent, I feel like I don't have a connection to anything. If I am your wife, Alice will really be my sister, Emmett will be the big brother I never had, Esme will be like my Mom. I will feel like I fit in somewhere. Does that make sense?"

Edward kisses my forehead. "Perfect sense. Even though you may not see it, you're part of this family now." He pulls back and looks at me sharply, before sighing, "But, I can understand how you feel, not having any 'blood' relatives."

I lean back to look at him. "Even when we get divorced, we will still be family, right? I mean, we will always be friends, won't we?"

He laughs at me. "Of course we will, Bella. We will have the most amicable divorce in history. You will always be my best friend." Then he laughs and says, "But, don't tell Alice."
Humble4 chapter 5 . 10/24/2010
Best Parts:

"I don't know. It seems to me you're always trying to take me to bed, get me naked, or marry me. You know, sweet Bella, all you really have to do is ask." He waggles his eyebrows at me.

Really? How drunk is he?

"First of all, I am not trying to get you naked, just get your shirt off, second, you are too drunk to even know what or who you are talking to, and believe me Dr. Cullen, if I wanted to, I would!" and I waggle my eyebrows right back at him.

"Edward?" I ask softly. "I wish there was something I could do to help. I am really sorry."

Once again, he looks at me without saying anything, with the strangest look on his face. He stands up and walks over to the window with his back to me.

He whispers, "Maybe... " He stops, shaking his head.

"What, Edward? Please tell me." I beg, "If there is anything you need, I'll do whatever I can."

I can't imagine what I could possible do to help, but I will do anything to ease the pain on his face.

He stands for the longest time, staring out the window, not moving.

Then very softly he says, "Marry me."
Humble4 chapter 4 . 10/24/2010
Best Part:

"Sorry," he finally utters, "I've got to go." He starts toward his car, and I don't know what comes over me, but I reach out and grab his hand.

"Hey," I say, as he turns to look at me, "my offer still stands."

He just stares at me for a moment before he gives me a small, sad smile and nods. I stand there and watch as he drives away, tears flowing down my face.
Humble4 chapter 3 . 10/24/2010
Bella is so adorable when drunk...

Best Part:

Looking at me sadly, he says, "Bella, if you happen to know a woman, who my father would approve of, who would marry me, no questions asked, without expecting anything and would allow me to live my life, bring her on. I am wide open to suggestions. But, since I don't think that woman exists, then yes, in answer to your question, I am going to let my father win this one."

He sits with his eyes closed, looking defeated. I know it's probably the alcohol, because if I was sober I

would never have the thoughts I was having, much less, allow the words to leave my mouth.

"I know just the woman. Me."

Edward has just taken a big swallow of his beer, and it comes flying out of his mouth as he gasps in shock. He keeps his eyes trained on me as I grab some napkins to clean up his mess. I hand him one to wipe his face.

"Excuse me?" he stutters.

"I will marry you." Damn, there goes my mouth again.

"Why, Ms. Swan, did you just propose to me?" He smirks at me, as I feel the blush cover my whole body.

"Hear me out, okay." I demand, trying to fight the urge to run from the room, but now that I have opened my mouth, I had to continue. "Carlisle likes me, I think. He knows I am not after the Cullen money or name. It doesn't have to be a real marriage, you can keep doing whatever makes you happy, and Carlisle gives you what you have worked so hard for, so everyone wins."

I am speaking so fast, and pacing the room, that I am not even sure he can follow what I am saying. I glance over at him, and he is staring at me like I have lost my mind. I cringe internally, realizing I have just stepped way out of line. I sit down and cover my face with my hands.

"Or not. Forget everything I just said. I shouldn't drink...Oh God." I am spending a perfect evening with Edward, with him more relaxed than I have ever seen him, I just blew it all to pieces by opening my big, inebriated mouth.

Edward kneels down it front of me and removes my hands from my face. I am too ashamed to look at him. I feel his long fingers under my chin as he forces me to look at him.

He smiles at me, and I feel my heart start to race as he looks deep into my eyes. "Bella...that is the most unselfish thing anyone has ever offered to do for me. Thank you. But I could never ask you to do that."

"You aren't asking, I'm offering," I interrupt.

He takes my face in his hands and gently kisses my forehead. "Still, you don't realize what you would be giving up. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the offer, but no. I know I made it sound bad, but nothing is written in stone yet. It is possible my father is just blowing smoke."

I look up at him, and I can see he doesn't believe that for a moment, but I just nod my head, because I am feeling very drunk and very foolish. He helps me up and hugs me tightly, before leaning back and looking at me.

"You are a unique woman, Bella Swan. Thank you for tonight, the company, the pizza, the offer of marriage." He laughs, and I try to glare at him, but I don't think it works, since he starts to laugh.

"Come on, wifey." He laughs at me, "let's get you to bed." He helps me up the stairs, because I have trouble walking when I haven't had anything to drink, so I am sure he is only doing it so I don't fall backwards and break my neck.

Edward helps me into bed, after forcing me to drink a huge glass of water and swallow a couple of Tylenol, explaining I will appreciate it in the morning. The last thing I remember, are his lips, touching my forehead and hearing his sweet voice saying softly, "Goodnight, Bella, and thank you."
Humble4 chapter 1 . 10/24/2010
That is some first chapter!
sujari6 chapter 11 . 10/24/2010
Carlisle has definitely got something wrong with him mentally. Bella's right. I don't know how Edward's restrained himself all these years. Great chapter. Update soon please.
1,485 | « Prev Page 1 .. 85 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 .. Last Next »