Reviews for The Art of Self Deception
Expendable Red Shirt chapter 1 . 7/5
This is years old. You're probably not active on this site anymore (I personally only come back to read old favorites and laugh a bit at my own old stories), you probably won't see this, but - this is a story I come back to again and again. I don't... hate twilight. I went through the obligatory 7th-grade twilight phase before the first movie came out and I loved it then, and grew to see its flaws later. But I think that it has a lot of wasted potential. If only the author hadn't bought into the romance aspect as easily as Bella, or the preteen fanbase. I wonder how twilight would have turned out if SM was less into classical romance (not to even mention her clearly missing the point of one of her favorite books, and one of her favorite plays) and more into classical horror. If she'd noticed the inherent... wrongness in the romance she crafted. It's a lost opportunity. So I loved finding twilight fanfics that explore darker aspects to the story, and this one has always been my favorite by far. Because even years later, I still come back to reread it. I've shared it with friends when we've somehow gotten into conversations about twilight (it happens) and they love it too.

I'm only in my early twenties now. I still feel, well, not very grown up. I can't imagine dying at nineteen. Or choosing to die at nineteen. Bella didn't know what she was choosing for "love". I'll never understand how her end is framed as a literal happy ever after.
Maggie Moony chapter 1 . 3/19
This is most Margaret Atwoody Twilight fanfiction ever. It's the best!
Sky chapter 1 . 1/21
That was brilliantly (chillingly) written and brings up all the issues I'd had with Twilight and more that I hadn't considered till now.
AIRbooks chapter 1 . 11/23/2016
This conveyed the sense of horror that I simply love. I know this is going to be one of those stories that I come back to, just to read it all over again.
Andrew Joshua Talon chapter 1 . 11/5/2016
You're a better writer than Stephanie Meyer. I know, it goes without saying but honestly? That should be said when it's true.
Guest chapter 1 . 10/1/2016
I hesitated when I saw that this was a Twilight fic, but I'm glad I gave it a chance.

This was beautiful, simple, yet horryifing in all its implications. You really set the mood and conveyed a deep sense of horror in the reader at knowing that Bella was making all the wrong choices. The parallels between Bella's own story and that of Dracula and how Bella kept trying to convince herself that this was different, was painfully heartbreaking to read.

This fanfic has completely enthralled me to the point where I'd love to see more (perhaps from Edward's perspective and how he justifies his own actions to himself).

-RustedSilver
Yorik chapter 1 . 8/7/2016
What a fantastic ending.
Alalaes chapter 1 . 6/26/2016
"There is no end." - Now THAT is quite chilling. Thanks for writing such an insightful critique!
Lord Sia chapter 1 . 3/16/2016
I'm going to visit a haberdasher, to purchase the fanciest hat I can afford, and put it on top of my head.

I will then take it off in your honour. Bravo! Bravo! Bravissimo...
Lunaliceazreal chapter 1 . 2/9/2016
You are amazing (:
liesmyth chapter 1 . 1/27/2016
whoah, this was gorgeous
Top Hat Octopus chapter 1 . 10/28/2015
This will probably be the first, last, and only Twilight fanfic I will ever favorite. The story is able to convey its message without resorting to shoving the message in the reader's face or bashing, and much is said while using small amounts of words. Keep up the good work.
nimuelsa chapter 1 . 9/6/2015
My feelings ... they cannot be conveyed by merely words. Their story is a caricature, a falsity, untrue and displayed so artfully within this fic is it. Despite my reluctance towards Twilight fanfiction, this is beautiful. Undeniably so. No ... it is not beautiful, it shows the falsity, it is not beautiful, it shows the horrible relationship between them, it makes it all so terribly obvious the badness, no, not badness. The sheer emotional manipulation. And while this fic is not quite beautiful, it is somehow more, more and I cannot say this enough but your fic is absolutely fantastic and please don't take my words the wrong way.

The fic is all crystallized fragments of my broken childhood and thin adhesive of a terrible series and the artistry of a talented author displaying the series and the crystal fragments all polished and shone with mirrors all about, reflecting and dazzling and beautiful in the rays of light that you somehow conjure from the light that you shine and the mirrors you prop. Kudos.

What I'm trying desperately to say is this: The fic is not beautiful, it transcends that. It is far more real and far more showing of the unhealthy relationship between Bella and Edward and the falsity of their fairytale and how ... how they were all fooled really.

I don't intend the ...uh, the me saying that the fic isn't beautiful as an insult indirect or direct or whatever intentionally. It's instead intended as a compliment, and something I can't quite say or describe with my limited vocabulary in that area. The fic is far more, far more than beautiful or ... whatever adjective I could fill with it.
Rowling's Daughter chapter 1 . 9/4/2015
WOW. Mind blown, it portrays her wonderfully. Faving it!
TooLazytoSignIn chapter 1 . 6/30/2015
I love coming across these darker versions of Twilight. Bleak, beautiful, well-written. Makes me actually feel something like sympathy for a Mary-Sue. Bravo.