Reviews for Fear No Darkness
Alexa chapter 28 . 12/12/2003
GASP! I was so SURE that Legolas ad Merry would be in this cruel of you!
Maybe the next then? I am dying to see their reaction to their rescuers! and to see if my little theory holds true (which I hope it doesn't, I may be mean, but I'm not THAT mean)
I am willing to forgive you IF you promise to update anyone of your amazing stories very soon. Preferable this one, During a journey in the dark, or Land of Light and Shadows
Great work yet again- but next time you update this story my princling better be in it!
girturtle chapter 27 . 12/11/2003
I'm so happy you updated! Your stories always make my day!
I'm glad Elladan is better! Now that they sorta have a strategy they can go now to get Legolas and Merry! hopefully...
Anyway, I'm really happy you updated. Maybe you can do other updates for Fear No Darkness, During a journey in the dark, New Year's Eve, and Land of Light and Shadows before Christmas? As an early Christmas gift for this 7th grader who is hooked on your stories. please *puppy dog eyes* heh.
Leena aka Girturtle
Nessa Ar-Fieneil chapter 27 . 12/11/2003
This is one strange fic, but strange in a good way. I can't wait for the next chapter, but don't rush it or it'll come out horrible
JastaElf chapter 1 . 12/11/2003
Lovely start as always... excellent characterizations, and I look forward to seeing how things develop.
Looks like there's dirty work afoot with the Orcs and their mysterious Master... (smile) I shall settle in now for another delightful TT Ride!
Frodo3791 chapter 27 . 12/11/2003
Glad to see you've updated. They are finally taking a large course of action. They are not far from rescueing Merry and Legolas, but after that they shall have a long ways to go to cure them. Loved the chapter, update soon.
Katharine the Great too lazy to sign in at this hour chapter 27 . 12/10/2003
*squees like some kind of freak*
Oh, Thundera! It's marvelous!
I admit, I'm a horrible lurker. Believe me when I say that I have followed this story for a long, long time, and each time you update, I am left slobbering and drooling for the next chapter.
Oh, erm, perhaps a bit of actual reviewing is in order...
Thy grammar, excellent! Thy vocab, fabulous! Thy description, delicious! Thy characterization, beauteous! All is worthy of drool! (I mean that in the best possible sense, honestly...)
Your magnificent Thranduil helps. _ *discreetly checks out the Elvenking, looks away quickly when he notices*
Thank you for gifting us all with this story; it is wonderful!
Firnsarnien chapter 27 . 12/10/2003
Oh GAWD! I *still* don't know what's going on with Leggy and Merry! Ai, how could you do this to me! You leave the most horrible cliffies, yes you do!
But, on the other hand, I'm so glad you updated! ;) Thanks for the e-mail too and I must say yes, the story is progressing nicely, but those cliffies are horrid! ;) Heh, heh! I'm sure you get that a lot though huh?
Well, can't wait for your next update! I sincerely hope it's not too long a wait! (hint, hint!) LOL :)
Guardgirl12 chapter 27 . 12/10/2003
Oh, Joy! You have updated! Thank the Valar!
First off, thanks for the thanks for my reviewing. I think it gives me a little taste of what it must be like to recieve a review, because I am always estatic to read you response to me! Is that silly?
I was beginning to really worry about your stories and you. Honestly, I had this horrible thought that you were in a coma or something and I would never find out how your stories were to end. The horror! Of course, the worst part is the you being in a coma and all, but seriously, I am so glad you have returned.
So. The story. I think the first part was my favorite of this chapter. Well, it probably tied with the last part. I really enjoyed Aragorn's frustration about mortal limitations. But, he by far redeemed himself when he noticed the first line of scouts and Elrohir didn't. The stillness thing was awesome then too. Really briliant, and probably something only an elf could manage. Throughout this chapter I really like your showing that Mirkwood and Lorien are less affected by the shadow. Since they had to deal with it far more than Imladris, I think its only fitting. I'm not sure why it gives me satisfaction. Perhaps these Noldor elves aren't quite as perfect as they are made out to be, you know? :) I'm mostly kidding, I love them all, but those wood elves really hold a place in my heart.
So what is Orophin going to do? I am really, really curious as to what his special role will be in all of this. It is very not clear to me. Of course, he has seen cliffs, so I am thinking that he is at the other exit. But what will happen there that is so important? I am just dying to know. His own observations about himself are very interesting as well. He knows that he is changing, and is consiously trying to make allowances for it. I just can't wait to see where these changes will lead.
And then this end part. Woo. Seeing Elladan like this made me feel more connected to Merry and Legolas, who's presance I have been sorely missing. He managed to escape with the help of those around him, and both Celeborn and Thranduil were very sensitive to it. I am curious to how this will play out with Legolas and Thranduil. They obviously started this adventure with great turmoil between them, but I am certain that Thranduil will be key to his recovery. What will this mean for their relationship? Will it help them to understand each other more? And also, will this ordeal remind him of why he stays instead of sailing to Valinor? I think I remember a little snippit from New Year's Eve, saying that Celeborn was glad to get the twins away for a while, indicating he was still around. Does this event keep him here (this is of course assuming that his announcement which I recently reread was about leaving. Thats just what I figured it was about.)
And now Ellandan has a first ahdn understanding of Merry and Legolas's ordeal, though not nearly as intense. I think he too will be vital in bring them comfort. But, enough of my predicting. I am off to study, and I hope that your writer's block has worn away for everything. I'm always ready for an update from you, and I hope the wait won't be too long(though its always worth it)!
wellduh chapter 27 . 12/10/2003
Keep writing.
Tarawyn chapter 28 . 12/10/2003
It's great to see an update. )
Joining HASA delurked me somewhat. I'm actually thinking about writing a story now (horror of horrors! That'll be a disaster) and I'm going back reviewing things I've missed. So maybe I'm not so much of a lurker.
RE Akallabeth: I suspect that if Sauron managed to deceieve the elves to the extent he did with the Ring in the Second Age, much less sneak past the -Valar- in some ways before that, corrupting a man quickly so that they loathed their closest friend wouldn't be too difficult. Especially when you consider the circumstances - the line was already waning, and Sauron could easily play up Ar-Pharazon's biggest weaknesses and concerns. Past that, I like the license you took with the story, and it's an interesting thing to think about.
FFN is being evil, as usual, so I'll review off of HASA.
Poor Elladan. Exactly why he's being attacked in a way similar to Legolas and Merry (minus the physical torture and direct contact) slipped my mind, which means I should reread this, except I shouldn't be reading this right now anyway,so that'll have to wait. It looks like Celeborn pushed it off on his own - I like. He should be strong enough, experienecd enough, and close enough to be an anchor for Elladan when need be. I have to wonder how long the shadow is going to stay off, though. It'd be very nasty if Elladan was reclaimed at the worst possible time for it to happen... Which would be the reason why he was reclaimed, I guess. Walking into a shadowy, possibly bloody melee can cause problems like that.
As a side note, nice brotherly dynamic with Aragorn, Elrohir, and Elladan. I like how you play that in all of your stories, but it works particularly well here. Aragorn worries and takes care as if he's the oldest for half the chapter; Elrohir is sensible until Elladan is attacked, when he definitely diminishes, which makes perfect sense considering that they're twins and their elves; and Elladan is shaken and aggravated that his younger brothers don't seem to understand that they're younger.
I take it that Orophin and Haldir are at the other entrance to the caves (or is it just another?). Or I think so. I'm bad enough with city geography, much less canon geography, much less... You get the point. It'll be interesting to see an attack from both sides, if that's what you're aiming at; in that situation they could regroup without noticing and then separate without realizing what happens, or have one party annihilated while the other is clueless. If they're NOT at the other entrance but are at the SAME entrance and they can't sense the others, then I officially should renounce fanfiction until I figure out how to keep track of landmarks. (And I'll die trying!)
I have a feeling that Orophin is going to do something stupid, reckless, or both, out of grief and anger he's been holding back... Evidently he's -not- over it, and is only holding back so he can be a bit more useful when he lets go. In the meanwhile, he can pretend to birdwatch... Because he hasn't been noticed yet, has he?
(And at this point I'm just waiting to find out what the Mouth did. I'm not sure he's doing anymore - or at least, that he'll do any more until they finally attack.)
End ramble...
- Sara
Frodo3791 chapter 27 . 11/24/2003
I have been reading this story over the past couple of weeks and love it tremendously. Your talent for writing is amazing. As I've read some of your other stuff, it's really interesting to see such a contrast in your portrayal of Elladen and Elrohir, yet not so. You have portrayed them in such a careless, fun loving sense, and it's interesting to see them weighed down by this growing shadow and everything going about when this should be a time of joy. You even had them mention something about that in one of your chapters. Still you keep them alike enough that the characters can relate. They just have a different light about them. Also, I love all your canon characters. Fantastic. The angst in here is well done and keeps the reader holding on and begging for more, which is also what I will do next. I do hope you update soon. I really really love this story. You're so talented.

Oh yes, Rumil dieing, I almost cried. So tragic.
Tarawyn chapter 1 . 11/16/2003
The lurker at your service. Oh, the horror. I'm signed in.

FFN is being uncooperative and I can't tell if I reviewed your last chapter, but I'm suffering from lurker guilt and I reread this last night, so I might as well.

I like the turns that you're taking with the story. I've never been able to see exactly what you're getting at in any of your stories until you get there, and this fits right in. The Mouth is limited in what he can do if this is connected as I think it is to Land of Light and Shadow, but I don't have the faintest idea of where this limit is and if the rescue party can do anything. Knowing where the entrance is and how to get in doesn't do much good if you're a) murdered by orcs on the way, b) taken for some mind controlling games, or c) handed out some new torture by Thundera Tiger, who's very good at keeping this new torture secret. Not to mention Orophin and Haldir, who have the minor dilemna of how to regroup without getting murderered.

As for my belated reason to review - the entire place where your plot originates. If you're wiling to accept it this fits into Akallabeth... Not a choice I'd make, as I think Sauron was quite capable of corrupting Ar-Pharazon without any direct sorcery, but it works well and it spawned a very good story, so I'm not complaining.

So ends useless review number... I've lost count.
Alexa chapter 26 . 10/19/2003
Well i had just got back from long tiring hours of shopping with some friends in time to watch SNL- but i figured I would look at at the same time- and see if there was anything worth reading. For some reason I happened to look on somebone's Favorites list- and there was this story! Needless to say I read the entirety of it in one sitting- and surprisingly it didn't take long!

This story has a quick pace and a fabulous plot. But please- I must know what happens to Merry and Legolas- when will they be found? What condition will they be in? Will they know their friends?

And let me tell you- you are truly cruel! Breaking BOTH wrists of an archer? I was so relieved when he was healed...but then again, there is that whole "nowheispossessedbyshadow" thing. IF somehow they DO figure out how to extract the shadow from Merry and Legolas- would the wounds that the shadow had healed become known again? It would seem so- but I guess I shall have to wait and see!

Oh and the Merry angst- he truly believes he killed Legolas! That scene was heartwrenching- and that is a massive understatement.

And during their second escape attempt- Legolas' nearly had me in tears!

OK- so now I am just rambling so I will leave you know to allow you to UPDATE THIS FIC!

PS- I am very disappointed there is no Gandalf- (although i realize you are trying to stick to cannon)- I LOVE how you write Gandalf- and his relationship with my favorite elf...sigh
Orophins Dottir chapter 26 . 10/15/2003
A rather amazing circumstance this. Orophins Dottir emerging from the deepest shadows of lurking and after only five days and nights there.

If for no other reason, thank you for pointing the way to Stories of Arda and Henneth Annûn. I actually discovered only five days ago, and have gained at least three unsought grey hairs from battling with its technical problems (and I doubt I could even shop those hairs to Gimli!) I hope the other paths are smoother.

I am very much enjoying the story. I've found one or two other interesting stories on , but yours is by far the best to date. For one thing, it's a pleasure to read something by an author who does seem to be well grounded in Tolkien's written works and has an idea of plot and pacing. Then, of course, there is the obvious fact that Haldir, Rúmil and Orophin were always my favorites among the "minor" characters from the first time I ever opened the books (and almost failed a couple of my college courses because of reading). That was a very long time ago, probably at least the Second Age! Sad to lose Rúmil, but you gave him a good death scene at least and, like most things elven, he never does seem to be completely out of the story.

I like the way you have the brothers interacting and that Haldir is allowed to sometimes not know what the heck he should do next. I'm looking forward to your next installment. And I'm not even going to nag, hint or nudge on that! My own life is too busy juggling duty, work, delving in the earth to build Galadrial's garden and beginning the famous Quenya course not to understand delay. We shall but quietly wait and hope and perhaps tidy up the Forests of Lurkdom just a bit. Be well.
bryn bnw chapter 26 . 9/19/2003
*sigh* Thundera, I want to write just like you when I grow up.

For all your battling with this piece, I definitely declare you winner. Great connection between the Elves and fire. I particularly enjoyed how Rosie realized this, yet didn't understand she did. It says a lot about the hobbit character in general: innocent, yet strong and practical. I think if Rosie was able to put her musings into conscious thought, she wouldn't allow herself to dwell on them. And speaking of Rosie-she's everything I would imagine her to be. You've given Sam a wonderful partner.

"living tomb"- oh, absolutely brilliant line.

Uh oh, looks like the Shadow is beginning to take its toll on Gimli as well! It was bound to happen sooner or later, I suppose. He has been walking on the ground for an awful long time... (In doing so, he's proven himself to have more strength than the Elves... Show 'em how it's done, Gimli!)

*lol* What a priceless piece of Gaffer wisdom!

Hmm, Ithildae is somewhat... snippety. For some reason I imagine Legolas giving him a hard time during moments of extreme bordem. Hooray, they've found the caves' entrance! Although, it has been my experience that laughing shadows are Not A Good Thing. (Cliffhanger!)

Rumil was always my favorite of the Brothers Haldir. Poor fellow. Rarely are Elves to quick to change, and Orophin appears to have done so with astounding speed. I have my fingers crossed that it IS a change for the better (better than madness, that is). Hm... What role will Haldir and Orophin have to play? I'm intrigued...

Fantastic chapter! I send the utmost support and encouragement while you continue to war with the story. (You will triumph in the end! Ha-ha, take that, foul Story Goblins!) :) Am I allowed to request more Thranduil?
796 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »