Reviews for Hourglass
Thaddeus MacChuzzlewit chapter 1 . 1/7
Wow. This is an emotionally weighty story. It could have been a simple adventure, but the hourglass motif did an excellent job of illustrating how high the stakes were for Newkirk. You could tell that not only LeBeau’s life, but Newkirk’s sanity was at stake. When Newkirk was running around in the snow, I nearly poured my tea in my lap because I was leaning too far forward trying to read faster. The ‘Stop working against me. Stop taking the people I’m trying to help. Stop making me unable to help them.’ was just heartbreaking. Your description did an beautiful job of illustrating the situation, while subtly driving up the tension, like the last couple paragraphs of LeBeau’s time in the trunk, and the last sentence of that section, especially.

I think this is one of my favourite Newkirk and LeBeau stories! It was moving, and you tied up the ending with a return to the humour of the beginning of the story, giving us hope that LeBeau can start to help Newkirk deal with what he hides behind his masks. Thanks so much, for giving us such a beautiful story!
willwrite4fics chapter 1 . 12/7/2014
Even though I doubt the trunk would be completely airtight, they were more airtight back in the 40s-50s. Also, I don't think LaBeau would be thought of as a spy, instead they would assume he was an escaping prisoner, so he could have alerted Klink at any time.
That said, I could easily ignore those two bits of 'realism' and really enjoy the story and especially the emotion and the symbolism. It's definitely going to be a favorite of mine as a character study type piece, with drama and plot. Thanks so much for posting it.
Cruelest Sea chapter 1 . 7/19/2010
Awesome story. Very well written and intense.:)
LuckyLadybug chapter 1 . 7/19/2010
The emotions in this fic are very well-done and poignant. The comparison of the snow to an hourglass is really intriguing, especially how both times in Newkirk's life, it coincidentally seems to really work that way.

It was so sad when LeBeau thought Newkirk would be the first to get over his death. I was concerned at first that he wouldn't realize any part of the truth and that it would be saved for a later fic. I'm glad that he has now started to realize.

I am surprised about the trunk too, honestly, since I haven't been aware of any that were air-tight. But since you did the research, I'm sure you knew what you were doing. I guess they must have been made a lot different back then, eh, not even having locks as a general rule?
Jennaya chapter 1 . 7/18/2010
I liked the camaraderie of Newkirk and LeBeau. However, I think the author hasn't ever been around cars before, they're not air-tight. LeBeau would never run out of air. I think his claustrophobia would be the real concern, and getting caught with espionage material.
Simple chapter 1 . 7/18/2010
interesting point of view

Concern - car trunks are not air tight and LeBeau would not have run out of air. Both he and Newkirk would not have considered air as an issue, getting caught and his claustrophobia yes an issue.
Deana chapter 1 . 7/17/2010
Hey, this was great! Exellent job! :)
ColHogan chapter 1 . 7/17/2010
Great short story showing the devotion of Hogan's men to each other and how Newkirk tries so hard to hide his feelings.
Kirarakim chapter 1 . 7/17/2010
What a wonderful one shot. I loved all the details you put in such as the "card on the head" gag and Lebeau's claustrophobia.

I also really loved how you delved into Newkirk's worry for losing people who are close to him. The symbolism of the snow as an hour glass was a really nice touch.

And of course after the drama I am glad to see the story end on an uplifting note. Great last line!
Sierra Sutherwinds chapter 1 . 7/17/2010
This was an excellent chapter. It shows friendship and suspense. I like the separate points of view. Both LeBeau's and Newkirk's show desperation for the time running out. Fortunately, none of them gives up and it leads to a happy conclusion.
The Duelist's Heiress chapter 1 . 7/17/2010
Phew...

That was a very interesting read. I quite enjoyed the role and symbolism of the hourglass.

Keep up the great work. :)

TDH