Reviews for The Hill of Swords
Chrome Atlas chapter 7 . 4/2
Ok, there is a spell name where a guy is "letting it rip" so to speak? THAT IS HILARIOUS!
ranma hibiki chapter 23 . 3/31
T_T
so beautiful
Telron chapter 23 . 3/29
now this was a great story. in my mind it is perfect in almost every way. so perfect that i'm actually shedding a few tears about the ending which in itself is an accomplishment since only 1 other story i have read brought tears to my eyes and i've read many stories.
scorpioneldar chapter 23 . 3/29
i would love to read that expansion i hope you made it
this story is a work of art
i am a huge fan of the fate verse and i watched the first few episodes of familiar of zero so i would have an idea of who you were talking about overall
this was increadable i loved it it was an amazing story and adventure i truely enjoyed watching all these characters grow
end of the fate path was basically promising the future you brought to fruition here for shirou? i thought they did get to be together in the end even if the end was something that occurred later off screen with his death many years on into the future
personally i root for our blue haired ice mage myself
but that may be as much my own kink as anything else speaking
come to think of it she hits all of mine here in this story
strong woman
quite
loves reading (somewhat of a bibliophile acctually)
blue hair (it is a thing i developed from my first anime crush rei ayanami)
fair skin (again rei)
a hidden emotional side
deep loyalty
honor
faithfulness
apparent willingness to serve (hell she says she wants to be his servant in story after all)
strength of mind and ability to rule (you showed her as a ruler at the end here)
is adorable
but i also love the relationship understated as it is that you built up between these 2 characters
the only thing i would worry about is if he had someone else does he really count as having alwayse searched? i thought that part of the prophesy meant he could never have another person to share his love or bed ?
well writen regardless and i loved every moment of it
and of course every anime or anime style story must have it's beach episode so please tell me you did the tiger dojo story !
and please write some more for it someday
hope you keep writing your talents as an author are highly appreciated
Scorpioneldar
GGFBank chapter 23 . 3/26
The best xover fic I ever read. I can't describe how good it is. MUST READ! PURE AWESOME!
Shinnypichu88 chapter 23 . 3/19
I'm going to take a guess and say it was the blue one.
makopaulo chapter 23 . 3/12
Wow. I would like to say a job very well done! I don't have much of a way with words, so I won't say anything more except to keep on writing!
Uberlemming chapter 23 . 3/10
Well, I very much enjoyed that, truly it reminds me very hard of the Realta Nua ending, which is not surprising really, all things considered. I have to say that the pacing for this story felt a bit off and that the ending was a little bit abrupt, but then I can't really see a different way you could have ended it, and all in all I am glad you did it the way you did. All of those feels man, all of those glorious feels! :,)
Uberlemming chapter 2 . 3/9
Although it is probably pointless, since you have so many reviewers and you finished this so long ago that I doubt you will read or care about this, I would like to point out a few things.

Firstly: servants in the holy grail war are shadows/echoes/extensions of their namesakes from the throne of heroes, the need for 'classes' is to produce a body that fits them, since the creators of the Heaven's Feel ritual (AKA the grail war) did not want to have to 'program' the ritual for specific heroic spirits ahead of time. These class containers are ghost liners, which we know very little about apart from that they are very powerful and high level familiars. The reason they are used, and we have to remember here that Heaven's Feel was never intended to be a battle royal, is that the ritual is trying to create as good copies as possible of these heroes so that when they are all killed and their spirits released by the grail simultaneously they will, when combined, have enough 'weight' in the world or a big enough connection to Akasha to (possibly combined with more magical trickery they don't tell us about) tear the universe a new one straight to the root of all things.

Secondly: command seals are probably unique to Heaven's Feel, as they serve an unusual purpose, that of forcing the servants to kill themselves, and are unwieldy for long term familiar control. Because of this they act only on the servants themselves, beings spiritual in nature. The reason that teleporting a servant is not true magic (possibly via the third, or some other that we don't know of) is because it is purely affecting the servant, which itself is tethered to the grail and not a fully physical existence in the world. It is kind of like a projector switching off, reorienting in a different direction then turning back on again, except obviously servants are more real than mere projections. What you stated in this chapter is kind of right, but misses the point. Shirou here goes on about command seals and gives details, but the grail is not the only method of summoning humans and command seals are most definitely not the only method of binding intelligent familiars to ones-self, you really didn't need the details; just have Shirou tell Louise that she summoned him without a proper way to bind him to her will or restrain him.

What you have written contradicts type moon canon in many ways, and that is fine since you are writing a fanfiction crossover and of course you need to twist things to fit, but your changes seem needless and borne from misunderstanding rather than anything else, making the story unnecessarily difficult to understand. All of that exposition could have been replaced with him telling her that if he wasn't so nice she would be dead, seeing as she has no way to bind him to her will and that he has great respect for summoned servants because of past history, but you went on about classes and command seals, confusing what should be relatively simple even for those unfamiliar with type moon. Also for the love of God, the singular is 'magus', the plural is 'magi'. That is all.

O.K. so it is not all, you get a ton of praise but I still have to say it, I really like this story. Even with its inconsistencies and desecration of type moon lore from something that kinda works (canon) to something that seems more arbitrary than a random number generator, you still tell a great story. That is when you don't let exposition and slice of life comedy break the flow. I was sad to see In Flight slow down so very much that it got so much hate, but this and 'Debt of a sword' remain two stories I enjoy to this day and in fact introduced me to type moon, which I adore now, and Sekirei and familiar of zero, which have interesting fanficiton written about them. So well done, and please trim your stories more in future!
OminousLatin chapter 1 . 3/3
This is honestly one of the best fanfics I've ever read!
L'assassin orange chapter 23 . 3/1
It has been an honnor.
Luna's Meow chapter 23 . 2/25
This was amazing. I just found this yesterday. I'm an AirForce guy in Misawa Japan, so I caught some of your military knowledge, like being voluntold. It was awesome. Not many fanfiction writers can write on your level. I found a few spelling errors, but they were so few and far between that it didn't break your story at all. I'll be watching to see what else you have written and will write in the future.
Akuma-Heika chapter 8 . 2/22
I bring up the point Kirche in canon cares for Louise. (there are a number of suggested reasons for it). Is tha still true for yours or is she really just 2D in personality?

What clothes is Shirou wearing?

Your Shirou is arguably colder than EMIYA.

Ch2
A strident voice

How did she know he hadn’t been lying to her? He gave himself an out but that in no way proves he was honest.

Does he have both the Excalibur and Excalibur Morgan? You said some aspects of the Blade Works route.
The Twin Blades are not that large outside of the enhancement Illya gives them in her anime.

Whether or not to ACCEPT. I get tripped by except and accept as well lol.

DUE to the very nature

I am still awed by how in four months you wrote over 350,000 words.

Ch3
On Shirou being ready to kill he is the idiot who will sacrifice himself to save others…Shirou is more a suicide type than a homicide type. His goal of saving everyone at its extreme means he cannot kill anyone.

Technically only the Emiya Shirou from EMIYA’s Home Dimension becomes EMIYA. As far as we know there is only one Emiya Shirou Counter Guardian. And there are an infinite number of worlds and thus an infinite number of Emiya Shirous. It is extremely unlikely he will follow the exact same path as EMIYA. He has already shown differences. The fact he is acting like Archer now instead of millions of years later is proof of that. It took Archer countless lifetimes of war to end up like he is.

Syphid can shapeshift into human form so I am curious if she will be part of the harem (if he makes one).

Yeah the fact he has to protect people leaves him in a bad position in comparison to his enemies.

Why did Louise understand the term prana before but not when he was giving his lecture after the classroom?

Actually in Shirou’s homeland of Japan the five elements are Fire, Water, Earth, Air, and Void. The Five he listed are the Chinese elements (And do not mix those peoples up if you call a Japanese Chinese or vice-versa…it would be like calling a KKK member a whore who services blacks). Most likely though the elements of the Nasuverse (based on magecraft being from the west) would be the Greek Elements of Fire, Water, Earth, Air, and (A)ether. The fact your Shirou mentioned the ether last chapter supports that as well.

Who considers the fifth element to be Plasma? I do not believe any civilizations (ancient or contemporary) even understood the physics required to understand plasma. Not until past the Industrial Revolution anyway.

He had Ilya for a year.

Shirou actually has a lot of magic especially considering the poor quality of his circuits (which is why he is so limited on the spells he can do). I believe his prana was ranked B plus if memory serves.

Can he safely trace Excalibur than? In canon I believe it was stated tracing Excalibur would arguably kill him when he created the blade.

Zilperstone? I have checked a few sources and all of them have her full name as Kirche Augusta Frederica von Anhalt Zerbst. Did you mean Zerbst?

He’s HAD in centuries.

IT shouldn’t have

I thought Prana was the fusion of Od and Mana?

Ch4
Since his runes are powered by Louise does that mean when active he is able to use her prana instead of his?

Considering Louise is 17 a few years older would be an adult lol.

Ch5
Considering the country is 6000 years old as are its neighbors; I am having trouble seeing it not having developed pickling (especially since it shares a lot of traits with Europe; go to Russia and you will realize you know nothing on pickled foods lol)

WIll you show Sylphid’s human form? That will be a surprise for Shirou lol!

It DEFLECTED high

I cannot find the altered title Tabitha got through Slyphid before she was on the allied list.

Hrunting has different effects than its canon self.

WITH her concentration broken

SO did he remember the fact she called him gandalfr. Guessing yes based on the talk he sought with the old man.

So was Matilda (longville or whatever her pseudonym is) given to the authorities since the students do not know Fouquet’s identity?

Ch6
Trying to figure out if a shinai would or wouldn’t activate it. If memory serves though the criteria for gandalfr is anything made for war. A Shinai is not. In Lancelot’s hands though…

think more carefully

Did Shirou answer his curiosity on the Staff?

Hahahahahaha Derf is great!

Ch7
Hope you tell us the details of Kabutsuchi. I have found various details. Megaten and Blade of the Immortal are two such sources. FFXI is another Based on the axe bit I am guessing Blade of the Immortal.

I could kill him for you lol

Saito tied in this duel so Shirou should be able to win it considering he can boost his stats even further (and his base stats are higher as well)

Why does he speak elements of his aria but not the entire thing?

Shooting Hundred Heads is the original technique. Shirou made his own based on that. Nine Lives Bladeworks if memory serves.

Ch8
He does know her last name is PenDRAGON which means Head/Chief Dragon. Considering in those times Family names usually had something to do with the family history he could assume she had ties to dragons (he just would not know them).

The Fifth True Magic is essentially time magic if memory serves.

Louise knits?

Plan B not Pan lol

How is he corrupting her?

Lol on his dream after passing out.

Why would Francis Drake be in their world?

How is she reading and why is she blushing? Or is she just trying to distract herself from how close she is to Shirou?

Only five true magics that have been DISCOVERED not left. Hypothetically there could be more but they have to be found and without access to the Akasha that is extremely difficult at best

That is a good point on Sylphid being from the past possibly.

Is the second girl in the dream Sakura? Who was the guy?

Still waiting for the huge chapters. 350,000 words in 23 chapters mean some of these have to huge. That’s 7500 words a chapter or so but none of them seem that long yet…or my insights are skewed because of the long fics I have read recently. If they haven't been that long some of these future chapters will be over 10000
SirMandokarla chapter 23 . 2/20
Alright. Final verdict of a 22-year-old bibliophile:

The story is good. Grammatically poorly told, but good. Character interactions are well done, and kept to a fairly manageable number. The Master/Servant relationship is particularly well done. In fact, despite my initial misgivings concerning the interpretation of Shirou's character, it's pretty indisputable that this Louise and this Shirou are, as a pair, near-perfectly written. Running jokes are well handled, and the sudden lack of recurring antagonists keeps the story moving at a brisk pace. The fight scenes are exactly what I expected from Archer up against characters that the untalented Saito has difficulty with throughout the show - that is, up until the end, the fights are, if not boring, obviously one-sided. The plot was fairly well paced, and tense and comedic moments alternated well. The climactic battle is perfectly done, and the conclusion gives a debatably happy ending with just enough questions to leave "important" things up to the reader, take that as you will.

I think what I'm most shocked at is how soon the end occurs. That particular gathering shouldn't be taking place until much later, in my opinion. Also, if that pseudonym means what I think it means, truly the best joke never quite told has been played.
nim istar chapter 23 . 2/19
after reading in flight i figured i had to read this one. i have to say my favorite bit about both stories is how different the two shiro are.

in 'in flight', shiro is still young having really just started down the path towards possibly becoming EMIYA. he was broken, but the path he was on still seemed to have many potential paths.

in this story shiro was older and was pretty much one step from becoming the counter guardian, probably all he needed was his destined death. even to the last chapter the potential was still there, hell i was afraid that was what would happen in the last chapter when it seemed he had no chance of living.

the ending was almost bitter sweet, and reminded me a lot of the movie gladiator. i guess that flows into the perfect ending from the game.

thanks for the story.