Reviews for To Perceive Is To Suffer
tripleransom chapter 13 . 5/2
I am blown away by the amount of research you must have done to get the thieves cant so right (to my ear anyway). Holmes is so perfectly messed up in this. You've got him and Watson in their 09 incarnations down perfectly.
Aeryn Lavanthia chapter 13 . 11/5/2012
There are so many wonderful things I want to say about this story that I doubt I'll remember them all. First of all, the notion of licking taps in the bath had me laughing for a good ten minutes or so.

Second, this is one of the finest stories I have ever read in any fiction, not just Sherlock Holmes. However, you clearly have a great talent for writing in this style. I adored the use of language in this and everything flowed and ebbed with the skill of someone who knows the subject they are writing about inside and out.

The characterisations are a joy to read and I particularly liked the way Lestrade was written in the early chapters in his confrontations with Moran. Simply wonderful!

The relationship between Sherlock and Watson was portrayed superbly and I know I will be re-reading this story again soon. Bravo indeed! A truly stunning piece of writing!
Alamo Girl chapter 13 . 4/28/2012
I really can't describe in mere words how much this work moved me. not only was it the prefect pick-up from the second movie, but the amount of time and effort you put into painting the scenes of seedy London, to creating Emmy and her cohorts, to painting the vivid emotional images of Watson and Holmes' NEED for each other... really. I can't even wrap my poor brain around it.

Everything is profoundly incredible, especially Holmes' opiate-driven delusional confessional that Watson never heard, but pierced mu heart. And Watson remembering that perhaps he and Holmes fell in love with each other from the offing, and int he end, he's spent the last three years mourning the two people he loved in this world. Wow. Brilliant pales in comparison.

You not only told of their reunion after Riechenbach, but you wove an intricate tapestry of love, despair, acceptance and the hope for redemption for these two wonderful characters that I could only ever hope to hold a candle to.

Bravo. I eagerly hope for anything Watson/Holmes related from you in the future.
Emily Blackrose chapter 13 . 1/23/2012
I want to express how much I loved this story but your way with words leaves me in the dust. I simply cannot string words together in a way that would adequately describe how moving and fascinating I found your story. My favorite part is when you describe the inner workings of the tortured or drug-addled mind.

Thank you.
Dabuge chapter 13 . 5/27/2011
I can't believe I'm just getting around to reading your other stories! This was really a delight to read. I have to say, the thing I enjoy most about your work is its inherently satisfying nature - I always finish the last chapter feeling immensely satisfied in some way or another; everything always wraps up nicely to a happy conclusion. You write the relationship between Holmes and Watson so well, too — the unspoken yet apparent affection is just adorable! I also quite liked Emmy's subplot and, of course, the slang terms (as an American, they're all new to me). All in all, wonderful job. I hope to read more from you soon!
Polysyllabicus chapter 13 . 5/10/2011
Wow. This is unutterably wonderful. I enjoyed it monstrously. It's AU, but not in such a way it feels like a deviation. It has original characters who are enjoyable and full rather than obtrusive. It's written with great language. And good Heavens but I love your footnotes and the research to which they pertain - you obviously put a great deal of work into this, and the painstaking facts and bits of interesting information woven throughout this warm the cockles of my history-geek heart.

Wonderful to read. I'll sure as heck be looking at your other stories, hoping for more of such quality.
ackeberlynn chapter 13 . 1/23/2011
It was a great story - in fact, I almost feel that it ended too soon. And I even learned a few things along the way, thanks to your "notes" which shared your well-done and admirable research. :)
ackeberlynn chapter 10 . 1/23/2011
My favorite excerpts from this brilliantly written chapter:

"You are not a god Holmes, nor infallible although God knows you pretend to be because that is what we all need of you. You were the only one capable of finding Moriarty, of standing up to him at all and so it was you we sent against him – a one man crusade because we lacked the resources to fight him ourselves."

"Those five words drew a sharp knife across the throat of forgiveness and left it bleeding on the carpet."

"Instead he would wait; when Holmes had slain his own demons and lain their corpses to rest then Watson would decorate their graves with the wreaths of his absolution."

You write beautifully, with vivid descriptions and metaphors. It's angsty and very emotional, yet not out of character. And the plot itself contains a dose of realism with just enough urgency to keep one's interest. I loved it.

Keep writing!
Insanemistosingsmore chapter 13 . 1/8/2011
Amazing job, my dear. Only mistakes I can find are really simple spelling errors. Plains instead of planes, and laissez faire...unfortunately, the first word thereof was so butchered that I cannot remember the spelling you put forth. I however, have now provided you with the correct spelling.
Lucy'sDaydreams chapter 13 . 7/30/2010
There are no words to describe the glory that is this piece. Someday I'll find them and send them to you, appropriately gift-wrapped.
Lucy'sDaydreams chapter 5 . 7/29/2010
In the middle of the story; just a quick note to let you know that you've done a phenomenal job here. This story is so well written and engaging and well-woven. I'm wholly impressed. Onward I go!
Sac-a-puce chapter 13 . 7/28/2010
Just catching up... Oh, what an excellent conclusion after their misery in Chapter 11, and the hopeful recovery in Chapter 12! I much savoured the image of them back together on the streets, Holmes giving Watson a "look over the rim of his dark spectacles" and falling automatically back in his pattern not to tell him more than he "needs" to know. And that gift of the kitten... You dished out the sweet and the snarky notes, and it came out a feast. Thank you so much, for the time spent researching the wonderful details, the poetry and the intensity of feelings woven into this!
Protector of the Gray Fortress chapter 12 . 7/27/2010
Poor Holmes. There is no worse sensation, than feeling sick and being stuck in a bath all by your lonesome. I know because that was my Mum's cure for every ailment. (Of course it did work once or twice *grumble grumble*)

I think this here was my favorite line.

"You're impossible," Watson informs him.

"I'll have you know I'm merely improbable," he returns.

Or lines rather. Now you're not only stringing words together in inprobable poetry that tells a hand-wringing story. You're rewriting the canon into poetry...

...You know it's very hard for the rest of us to keep up with this sort of genius, don't you?

Excellent chapters both of these. I love recovery fluff. And its nice to know the yarder's care. Do we get moar?
Sac-a-puce chapter 11 . 7/27/2010
I haven't recovered from these last two chapters and I see that the twelfth one is up! I lack PGF's way with words but I was deeply moved by the way you painted Watson's awareness of Holmes' hold on him. Cutting and wondrous images... The tragedy of Holmes' inability to recognize that he is loved unconditionally, and the wounds he inflicts in return. It is an eternal story, and a profoundly human one.
Protector of the Gray Fortress chapter 10 . 7/26/2010
There are already so many Reichenbach aftermath scenarios. I think its been played out almost everyway possible. I've read all the traditional ones, all the au ones, all the drabbles and the one-shots and the multi-chapters. I'm sure of them all.

And then you go and write this.

I suppose I should be grateful. Life is pretty boring when it gets predictable.

This has been done dozens of ways but blue blazes if you haven't managed to somehow reveal the soul of the situation.

I also think you portrayed Watson in an exactness no one else hhas managed. Usually he's either bitter or just too accepting. Neither of which is in keeping with his character.

Here, he knows its not really his choice at all, its' Holmes'.

Your customary gut-wrenching emotion, and poetry were also present. In addition to making me wish I could throttle the poor detective.

Love it to pieces. And if the above was somewhat incoherent just take it as I was too blown away by the awesomeness to string words together properly.