Reviews for Just Human
JaniceS chapter 1 . 4/26/2014
I have to tell you, this is one of my top 10 stories. I'm so glad I found it and so glad you shared it with your readers. I have always thought Callen had to have some sort of guidance in his troubled childhood. You have painted the perfect picture of how one life can change another. This is an awesome read!
I Feel Possessed chapter 1 . 5/13/2013
Just read this for the second time. This is brilliant and how I would imagine a teenage Callen to be. I really enjoy your stories, they are so well written and in line with how the adult Callen has evolved.
shestarsky chapter 1 . 2/19/2013
Wow, this almost brought tears to my eyes. I can so picture a hurt, distrustful, sullen Callen. I like this cop & the concern he shows Callen. I hope we see more of him in the future.
Knirbenrots chapter 1 . 12/25/2012
Oh, it is another one of your great short stories. Love it, thank you!

Richtsje
SnoopGirl69 chapter 1 . 12/12/2012
Great story. The imagery was perfect :)
daughter of ewan chapter 1 . 7/10/2012
Very nicely done; not sappy but not too angsty. Love the hinting at what he might be or NOT be.
wotumba1 chapter 1 . 7/2/2012
LOL at the 'poster boy for hiding emotions'

best line for me: "You know perfectly well I could bust out of this thing blindfolded and with both hands tied behind my back," he said, sounding unconcerned, "And you also know that you'd just sit there and let me do it."

even at that age callen can read colby pretty well...
colby's a great guy, glad that callen was lucky enough to meet him..
Ambrosia Rush chapter 1 . 12/16/2011
Loved this story, young f-bomb dropping Callen is funny and yet the story keeps it's raw edge, very well written :)
keviana chapter 1 . 8/3/2010
Wow! This was SO good! And before I review, you should know that I didn't see this story- it completely slipped past me! Why? Because I always forget to up the rating to search for "All" ratings, not just K-12 or whatever is the default.

So, my deepest apologies! I'm so very glad you referenced it in your "Falling Through Cracks" fic! Thank you!

Now, this was such an intriguing read! Out of all of the submissions for the 2010 Summer Challenge, you are the ONLY participant to take us back in time to Callen's teen years. Thank you for that originality!

Your opening paragraph is genius- painting a picture that is masterfully done. (And so true.)

Jared Colby is a delightful OC. I like him the more I read him. You should consider using him in the future. In more stories. (Please don't kill him.) And I am curious what “accident” was drowning Jared when Callen saved him.

The way you wrote G really pushed it for me. A few times I wondered if he was a touch too bitter/jaded for his character- but then I read the ending remarks. I realized that it really wasn’t too far-fetched for Callen to be that way at all. You have convinced me that it’s possible that G *was* that way when he was younger. That is a sign of great writing. Love it. And I loved the way Callen fell asleep in the back seat. Simply adorable.

My fave lines:

“It wasn't much, but it was there. The usually unreadable mask seemed to have slipped and Colby could make out emotions in the teen's features, uncertainty, confusion, pain…”

"Alright," the officer said calmly, leaving the mirror and focusing on the street once more as he drove on, "So what's managed to get the poster boy for hiding emotions so flustered?"

Callen smirked and folded his hands behind his head, keeping his eyes closed. "You know perfectly well I could bust out of this thing blindfolded and with both hands tied behind my back," he said, sounding unconcerned, "And you also know that you'd just sit there and let me do it."

Callen looked up allowing their eyes to meet and they stared at each other for a full minute before the teen finally looked away. "I don't know," he admitted softly, an odd closed off expression on his young face, "I don't know what love feels like..."

Colby felt a pang of anger flare up in his chest. "Don't you ever say that Callen, not ever," he said a little more forcefully than he intended.

The teen's eyes suddenly became wary and his muscles tensed, allowing him to be ready to move at a moment's notice.

Colby cursed himself internally. "There are people who loose their humanity Cal," he continued more calmly, "Can you guess who those people are?"

There was a pause in which Callen considered him cautiously before he finally replied. "Yeah" he muttered darkly, allowing himself to relax slightly, though his eyes still had a rather primal look to them, "I know who they are, the same sons of bitches who're killing it in me."

I love all of these lines, and many more, but I knew I had to narrow down what I put it in here.

This was a great read. Your hard work was apparent! And, I’m so glad that your muse was re-located through this challenge.

_

Write on!
Hope06 chapter 1 . 7/31/2010
wow great job no awesome job so powerful so right so wow
LostForeverInHisEyes chapter 1 . 7/26/2010
Interesting to see something about Callen as a kid. Nice to think that there was seomone out there for him. Very well done, nicely written.

Now , the imagination starts to wonder what else he got up, who else he had as a kid... off to write, thanks for the inspiring story.
Sarai chapter 1 . 7/24/2010
Awesome!
NCISMcGee chapter 1 . 7/21/2010
Very nice. Never thought of a story with a younger Callen. I enjoyed it very much. Keep up the good work!