Reviews for winds that chase sails
theforcereawakens chapter 1 . 2/7/2018
my take is that everything is real but green has memory loss
Mo chapter 1 . 3/17/2016
So... I've read quite a few of the reviews below and-
well, now it's my turn to put my input on this:D

First of all, amazing story, emotional, and well written.
Second of all... aren't people (including me) thinking too much into it?0_0

So, I saw the author's note at the beginning of the story, giving a suggestion to read one of their other works, White Noise. (Which I did, and also enjoyed)

Basically, in White Noise, there're these group of houses with white roofs... and Red points out that it never snows around here. Green agrees, and thinks that if Red was here a few months ago, he might've looked at the roofs and mistaken them for frost or something, because the roofs could be deceiving that way. (this story is a one shot btw, and I'd suggest for you to read it)

That's how this story begins, with Green doubting the snow, doubting Mt. Silver... Doubting pretty much everything to be honest, but especially that never ending whiteness in that first part.

This is also how the story ends: "this time, as his dreams fade into whiteness, Green can't help but think somehow, it feels a bit like home".

The snow is deceiving, the colour white is deceiving, it's all a figment of his imagination, Green can't tell what's what anymore...

I could babble on endlessly, but I think I'd just confuse whoever's reading this even more...

I'm gonna go with a happy sort of conclusion (because I'm a loser, and sucker for happy endings:P)...
The fact that Green has false memories that cause him great angst? Well, that's not happy of course.

But, in the end, I think Red does return home, and Green was dreaming at the beginning (possibly) because he was saying how "he's moved past this", and that he "hasn't had to remember Mt. Silver in a long time". (Also, how at the end, he mentions his dream: "it should be Sunday today, because yesterday was Saturday. But then he remembers of course- it's always Saturday in his dreams"). Now, isn't there a really popular headcanon, that Green visits Red on Saturdays?

Conclusion: Green is suffering from memory loss, (especially with his dreams) because from the author's note at the end, we can most definitely guess that this is a false memory fic (or why else would they have mentioned it in that fourth point?)

Second conclusion: not saying this story couldn't be arranged (as some have mentioned below) from end to beginning (so Red returning, would be the first event of the story), but I highly doubt it. But that's just my guess, because I like the idea of Red coming home and helping Green remember:P

"Out of the corner of his eye, Green can see the calendar Red has been keeping for him. There's a note reminding him to order more badges on the 18th...Because if Green can't remember, Red would- for both of them, and it'd be enough".

BUT THIS FIC STILL CONFUSES THE HELL OUTTA ME!
deleted acoout chapter 1 . 7/8/2014
This was a bit confusing but I just read someone's review (person below me v ) and I guess that makes the most sense that the end of the story is actually the beginning since it says that red looked at him confused like he's been back for so long he can't say that anymore or that he never left. So in the beginning he of the story he had already left and green was trying to mend their broken relationship but he just couldn't do it anymore and that daisys child was not a baby anymore but already three years old when he goes to visit pallet? IDK And like the person below me said he keeps relieving the memory of trying to always find red to mend their relationship because they were together and when leaf said that he was just sad he broke up with red the we're together? I don't know which ones were false memories perhaps red ever living atop of were all false and red never left? Perhaps he goes to Mt. Silver and like everything is white and he always goes on Saturdays if I remember correctly he dreams up this stuff? Nah I think I reading into it way to much but all around great story :) my mind was totally fucked like the matrix or inception
Mewsea chapter 1 . 8/26/2013
Oh my god, I think I get it. Okay, now bear with me here, as I am still trying to figure this I out as I go along with this review. I think writing this out is going to help me organize my thoughts here.

At no point in this fic is there a dream (or more accurately, a false memory). It is all real. What's happening is, is that Green is essentially reliving the same day over and over. The day he keeps reliving is his breakup with Red, and the ending can be more technically referred to as the beginning of this story. The events that follow from beginning to the second-to-last scene can be seen as the following parts of this story. This would explain why Mt. Silver seems entirely never-ending to Green, because he keeps going back to search for Red after they broke up, and he won't give up. It also explains this line, "...because with every passing second, "this" feels more and more like "them" and that "them" would be ending if neither would do anything about it." It means that if Green doesn't do anything to fix their breakup, then they really would be broken up. (That's also my favorite line in the story, by the way.)

Now, this is where my theory gets shaky, because I don't have any evidence to support what follows. As for the remainder of the story, I'm going to guess that the conversations had are relived as well. This doesn't mean that every character repeats the same things day after day, rather that Green "imagines" them saying the same things every day (and in no way is this a false memory because these conversations have happened before). It makes sense, but like I said, I don't have anything to back it up.

I also thought that maybe this story wasn't meant to be divided into what's real and fake at all, that maybe you intended to leave this story completely ambiguous. If that's the case, then it's hard to give a proper analysis - but that doesn't necessarily mean that's a bad thing, just that I'm disappointed that I can't go into further depth. If it's impossible to tell what's "real memory" and what's "fake memory," then I don't know where to start.

But... Pushing that aside, I really love this story, even if I may never be able to wholly understand it. I thought it was clever how you gave the "ending" a happy-sort-of-feeling, but... Was it really? I mean, Green still has what might be "false memory syndrome," so how can that possibly be happy, whether the ending was real or fake? And even if it is real, he still breaks up with his boyfriend regardless. And even if it's fake, then that's just sad in itself. I've never seen a writer do that before - make the ending seem either sad or happy. That's just really freaking awesome, let me just say. When it comes right down to it, I guess it's the reader who decides. :)

If you're still writing on this site, I'd love it if you could tell me what this story means, or at least give me additional hints so I may decide, but only if you're okay with that. :)
starlighttauriel chapter 1 . 1/11/2013
So, most of that was dreams? What was real and what wasn't? Why was he losing his memory, denial or a psychic Pokémon, or he did it subconsciously to cope? And he could eventually have Red again, at least I'd want them to.
Wyla chapter 1 . 1/28/2012
Ahhhhhhh... This has got to be one of my favorite Originalshipping fics ever. One of my favorite fics in general, really.

It's so well written, and the plot is so good too... plus, even though it gets so sad at some parts, it's not so dramatic that it becomes overkill. I like how it's hard to tell what's a dream and what's real- I've read this so many times (it never gets old) but I still don't get it. XD

I love that aspect of the story, but could you explain that to me?

(Also I hope you don't mind that I spam favorited so many of your works- I got back into Originalshipping and realized a lot of my favorite fics were by you XD.)
shushan chapter 1 . 1/1/2011
I'm too stupid to understand...so, Red died or disappeared, and the very last segment is a dream? Or was everything else a dream...? I read white noise, but it seemed to have a happy ending. _ (Maybe I understood it wrong?)

Otherwise, it could be that Green just...became senile and everything is just a dream to him...

God, I think I'm going to hate Saturdays from now on.

This story was a very emotional read for me though, I will go lurk on your page, looking for more Pokefics.

Also, would you mind explaining this story if you have time/ are still alive? Happy new years!
Kuruk chapter 1 . 11/7/2010
Very interesting. It's also very tragic, and while it was a little confusing, I think that's what made it so powerful.

I love the way you interwove the past (but is it really...?) and present together throughout the story. I've always regarded Red and Green's relationship and all the forms it takes to be terribly tragic, but I think that this story is probably the epitome of tragic. There's something about Green's bliss in artificial ignorance that strikes a few chords in me.

Anyway... I loved it. Thank you for writing and sharing. :D

-Kuruk
Hell's Jester chapter 1 . 9/26/2010
Oh my god.

That's so sad! TT_TT

Poor Green!

I had to reread to really get that the end is a dream!

*sobs*

Really good story.
Kimnd chapter 1 . 9/18/2010
This.

Is.

Amazing.

TOTALLY worth searching through the entire Palletshipping community for.
kaori kuni chapter 1 . 8/21/2010
Life itself feels like a dream, after reading this.

The end.. man it killed me (in a good way). And it all feels like a dream, like, there's no real thing here.

Thanks!

PS: I'd love to hear what you have to say 'bout this xD!
Endles chapter 1 . 8/11/2010
Oh, do tell what you have to say about this story! I would love to hear. Especially since this is the almost only fic ever to leave me slightly confused. And believe me, I've read a lot of confusing stuff, and still have been the one to explain them to others.

Then again, maybe it’s because my own life is so closely connected to my dreams. I don't know how, but it seems like I'm living my life through a fog, and that I'm often living the events that I've lived, or rather dreamt of living before... I dunno, I'm rambling again, sorry.

This story was just so wonderful to read when I could so easily to slip into Green's mind, and see things like him. If only I could distinguish dream from reality- or have someone else do it for me, like Green has. :')
Canadino chapter 1 . 8/5/2010
My sister got me back into Pokemon, then Pokemon shipping just came after that.

WHY YOU SO GOOD.
AngelOfPastPresentAndFuture chapter 1 . 8/3/2010
I loved this one, the narrative is beautiful and the way you portray both Red and Green is great.

The way Green was unable to distinguish between dream and reality was amazing.

Great story

Cheers
LostHeaven chapter 1 . 8/1/2010
I really enjoyed your Green/Red stories, your characterizations and flow were wonderful! 3