Reviews for An Act of Volition
Anon.Y.Mouse chapter 12 . 4/23/2018
It was nice to see Ria show some sensitivity to what Gill needed finally when she learnt of Gill’s history. How cruel for an attorney to ask Gill that in open court and pretty much force her into openly admitting a painful part of her past! I understand why Cal would have focused on Gill’s needs first but as Cal can be pretty hotheaded, especially if someone messes with Gill or Emily, I’m rather surprised Cal doesn’t also pay the defence attorney a visit to have some choice words with the attorney about what Gill was forced to do in court because of the line of questioning. Then again, Cal would probably have to wait till after the trial before he’d be allowed to speak to the defence, but it’s not like Cal hasn’t snuck into talk to someone he wasn’t supposed to talk with in a court context before (ahem... Clara).
Anon.Y.Mouse chapter 6 . 4/23/2018
Wow. Definitely sounds like that provoked quite a reaction from Gill, not surprising given what she went through if she feels she is protecting herself by protecting her boundaries. I imagine she is not going to take well to Cal’s actions re the file and even less well if she finds out he got it from Zoe. Another person being drawn in would be bad enough, but I think the fact it was Zoe will make even that worse sadly. I liked how you had Gill’s dad be ex military & a cop. It was a fascinating paragraph to see Cal thinking about the signs of a military upbringing/a cop’s kid that he missed in Gill. I particularly like the last line of that section about Cal knowing Gill was his blind spot but thinking that meant a bit blurred not a blackout in his ability to read her. Will be interesting to see how this turns out!
Anon.Y.Mouse chapter 5 . 4/23/2018
Also, Zoe interrupting the kiss between Cal & Gill and getting all angry certainly adds to the drama. Totally believable that Zoe might act that way considering how she seemed to feel Gill was a threat during her marriage to Cal. Zoe clearly emotionally returned to that time hence why she called herself Cal’s wife, because she was reacting as if she still was. Beautifully written. It’s interesting to see Gill try to manipulate Cal too by distracting him with a kiss (even if she later got into it), that’s an interesting occurrence and suggests very well that Gill would go to great lengths despite her (usually honest & above board tendencies) to keep her past a secret, even manipulating Cal. Great way to show how accustomed she is to hiding the truth about her past. I think the truth is definitely still set to our though as she may have evaded Cal this time but I don’t see him giving up and I don’t think this tactic Gill employed will work every time Cal asks, he would definitely notice the timing after a while even if she tried it repeatedly, eventually Gill is presumably going to run out of options. Although this process will likely be expedited by Cal reading her file. Cal clearly feels guilt about reading Gill’s file though despite having asked Zoe and it appears that Zoe has done perhaps a little more than she was asked and has read the file too. Hmmm... very interesting fic and very well written.
Anon.Y.Mouse chapter 5 . 4/23/2018
I’m inclined to guess that the he who killed himself may well be Gill’s brother Robbie. It seems to personal to be anyone else, besides Alec that could get Gill upset & cause her to be so late for Cal’s appt. I think if it had been a patient then the line about “if he cared” would not be present. I don’t think a patient would be as likely to feel like a burden to a psychologist who was paid to deal with their issues, but a little brother might. Thanks for the A/N about Gill’s names spelt as Jillian... interesting, my guess would be that she changed her name just enough for her parents not to be able to find her. I’m curious to see if I’m right.
Anon.Y.Mouse chapter 2 . 4/23/2018
I like Loker’s line about the Foster Fan Club about “every member of this building being a member” lol. The way Gill treated Eli in that moment on his birthday sounds like she was drawing on past experience of comforting her younger brother. Eli spotted something which was impressive but clearly doesn’t know what which kinda makes sense. Ria is in so much trouble... almost can’t believe she did that, but it is rather in character as she can be so impulsive and passionate about what she thinks is right on cases & it gets her into some trouble with Gill, Cal & Eli sometimes. Hopefully Torres soon realises that Gill knows exactly what she is talking about!
Anon.Y.Mouse chapter 1 . 4/23/2018
Interesting, the first story I’ve read that links Ria and Gillian’s childhood. Very well done! I’m actually kind of surprised the similarities don’t show up more often as Gill’s childhood has been referenced in quite a few fics. Interesting that not only Ria but also Cal seem unaware of Gill’s past but I’m guessing they won’t be for long. The flashbacks are a useful & effective plot device.
CocoGuest chapter 12 . 11/25/2014
What dimension you have given to Jillian. Please continue this trilogy. You are a gifted writer.
Guest chapter 12 . 5/27/2014
Fantastic fic, and absolutley heartwrentching
atn chapter 12 . 12/31/2013
Whaaaa? No update? You were seriously hitting the height of the story! Nooooooo
Rugbygirrl chapter 12 . 5/5/2013
I am sooooo sorry for not catching up on this story. I was kind of pissy about the cancellation and fell out of touch with the fan fiction.
However I managed to get myself the US Netflix and have been watching some old episodes and decided to go back into the alerts that i saved.
I love this story. I love the back story on Gillian and how Cal is dealing with it. And I of course love that Ria has been put in her place. Her character annoyed me.
Are you planning on finishing this story? I really hope you are!
Harmony Goldstar chapter 12 . 8/6/2012
Please update soon!
ALK chapter 12 . 7/27/2012
This is fantastic! Speed-read the entire story and can't wait to keep reading.

I am loving both your dialogue and descriptions of both characters. I wasn't too sure about Cal/Foster before reading this, but you've sold me.

This is new head-canon for sure - amazing fic.

In case it isn't obvious - I need more of this story! Fanastic, keep up the great work.
Guest chapter 12 . 7/20/2012
You got me hooked, I really want to see what kind of climax will the story reach.
Your writing is deep and entertaining at the same time. I really, really enjoy it a lot. Thank you! Update soon!
writertobe chapter 11 . 7/20/2012
I love your writing style, your sense of the characters and their psyche. Your story goes deep and at the same time is open to interpretation(read imagination). Please update soon.
XimerKa chapter 12 . 7/18/2012
Thank you again! You story's really WOW!So looking forward for next chapter;)