Reviews for Watching The End Of An Era
tangerinee chapter 1 . 10/22/2012
Haach, just re-read it. Truly beautiful :)
DanielHimura chapter 1 . 7/10/2011
Great story, really great. I was reading this while i watched the end of the movie again.
Way Walker chapter 1 . 6/7/2011
i really love this film and i'm a bit sad that there isn't much fanfiction of it. i think that you captured Graham's voice and thoughts perfectly and i liked how you filled in missing scenes that the film didn't show. nicely done and a good read. :)
Sassenach082 chapter 1 . 11/4/2010
Good summary from a different point of view. I enjoyed it.
Stephen Wallace chapter 1 . 7/29/2010
This, my friend, is a superb piece. The sequence of the facts as the unfold are very faithful to the film. Moreover, you made great work of adapting the story to fit Simon Graham's perspective. I found it quite believable, and touching!

Grammar and structure-wise, there are very few mistakes. A few missing letters, wrong ponctuation marks, but nothing major that actually hinders the development of the piece.

The Last Samurai is the work of a genius. I'm always immensely touched whenever I watch it again, something which I've done over 50 times easily, without any exaggeration.

My main criticism, however, regards the way you chose to end it. If I were you, I'd add a more philosophical thought to it. Again, this is based on my own perspective of the film, and you could easily disagree with me. The way Algren assimilates the Way of the Sword, Samurai customs, is quite an intricate notion to Graham, something which you have expressed quite well in your piece. That thought alone, however, generates something else: some kind of expecation from Simon's part, in contrast with the Captain's unpredictability.

Will he become a Samurai now? Will he hop aboard a ship back to the US? Whatever became of Captain Algren? If you work along the lines of that idea, I'm sure that you can add some great thoughts into your work.

All I have left to ask you is that you keep it up! Keep on writing. I know that The Lats Samurai is not such a well known film, but that doesn't mean that it isn't any good. Quite the contrary, it is deeply insipiring, and whenever I'm feeling at odds with myself all I have to do is to put the disc into the DVD drive, sit for over 2 hours and stand up renewed.

I've intended to write for so long, but I never really had to the courage to finish anything. I've been a coward, but that is yet to change. Therefore, keep on rocking!