Reviews for Staying Connected
aruvqan chapter 7 . 6/3
The submarine base in New London is on the Thames River, and we pronounce the TH thanks ) and every 4th Groton and New London [the pair of towns on the mouth of the Thames, the sub base is actually in Groton but still called New London] split the cost of shooting fireworks at the area by the bridge so both towns can watch. Every year since we were stationed here [since 1990] we have gone to base to watch the fireworks - people with IDs can get onto the more secure part of base [the waterside where the docks and wharves are] and flake out to watch the fire works. Usually during the day the base MWR [Morale Welfare and Recreation Committee] puts on an all-hands BBQ at the rec fields. There is a football, a couple baseball diamonds and a running track with empty lawn in the middle and there is usually a chili cook off for the various commands. Typically they also open up the movie theater and show the stuff for free - usually a kids movie and a more adult movie.
aruvqan chapter 5 . 6/3
only contact with a fanfic community is reading here, and writing a few of my own - but there is a link between service families - we have a certain black humor that civilians don't always understand. When it is possible that someone may never return home, sometimes jokes work - like the "don't get shot/don't go crazy" between Ranger and Steph.
aruvqan chapter 3 . 6/3
peak, peek, pique - a tall promontory, to peer or look at and to excite interest in ... )

And it can be hard being the significant other of someone in the military - deployments are a bitch. 20 year Navy wife - the cycle is 3 years sea duty, 18 months shore duty, then repeat for however long one is active duty. When you have shore duty, or the boat is at the pier you do a regular work day, starts at 7 am ends at roughly 5 pm and then there is an overnight duty that gets people on station 24 hours a day. Most of the time it is 1 day in 3, though with a large division it is more like 1 in 7 though I lived with a SEAL that had 1 in 30. When having sea duty, there would be one long deployment every year ranging from 3 months for a Caribbean Sea run to 6 months for a Mediterranean Sea or Northern Run [north Sea, Arctic Sea, messing around in Soviet waters, this was back at the end of the cold war.] The rest of the time would be short stuff, anywhere from 3 or 4 days to a couple weeks. That can get seriously hard on a marriage, you have to be very self sufficient. I knew more than one boat widow [they marry the guy to get the paycheck and benefits, and screw around when they are out to sea.]
aruvqan chapter 2 . 6/3
Steph would love diving, it is like flying just done under water. I have my open water 1 and 2 and wreck diving and am considering multi level and cave next time we have the spare cash for it.
aruvqan chapter 1 . 6/3
I send care packages to buddies that are deployed, i have the cutest picture of one with some of his guys and a batch of stuffed critters I sent over so they could give them to kids to show they are friendly.
WizardsWoman chapter 15 . 10/13/2014
Great story. Hal is my favorite Merry Man.
GlitchGirl23 chapter 6 . 6/26/2014
I can already see a list of names building up of which MM got the pleasure of punching Johnson's face in when they got their hands on him.
GlitchGirl23 chapter 1 . 6/26/2014
"pokes head in" HI! Long time no read/review. I finished reading Top Secret Twenty One last night and it left me wanting to read fanfiction, so your page was the first place I chose, cause yours is always the best ;D
FourReasons chapter 1 . 3/18/2014
This is one of my favourite fan fics. I love this version of Hal and the story is one I have re-read a couple of times when I need a dose of happy. You are such a talented author, thank you for sharing your gift.
Guest chapter 15 . 1/24/2014
You aren't the only one who became attached to your version of Hal! What a wonderful tale of friendship and romance. Lester now has some competition in my "Favourites of the MM" fan club. I never thought that I would enjoy a non-Ranger/Stephanie "ship" and now I've read three of your MM-centric novels that have proven otherwise. Well Done!
carrotmusic chapter 15 . 8/1/2013
Outstanding story! So believable, even if Ranger didn't get the girl this time. Thanks for sharing.
Penny Maywood chapter 15 . 3/6/2013
What a wonderful story. So love the complex way you crafted the love story and the constant love and support of the men in the story. Thank you for the time and thought you put into your stories.
Penny Maywood chapter 5 . 3/6/2013
You did such a wonderful job conveying that simple emotion at the end! This is a great story!
Tink the Bat chapter 15 . 11/3/2012
I love this story! Looking forward to your next one :)
Sarai chapter 15 . 10/1/2012
The best story you ever wrote.