Reviews for Jeeves and the Incalculable Mistake
cloreen chapter 16 . 20h
I know it's been over 3 years since this story was updated... but I just discovered it! I resurrected this account from the dead just so I could say how much I truly, truly wish it eventually is completed. I don't know if the author will read this, but I just want to say that I love these characterizations and I think you've done such a wonderful job of delving both Jeeves's and Wooster's humanity beyond what we get to see in canon. The development of Jeeves's emotions and realizations is so perfect and exactly what I imagine it would take to advance their relationship (romantic or not; I love the part about Jeeves not wanting to spend the rest of his life with anyone else). To be honest, he reminds me a lot of myself. This is one of my favorite fanfics of all time, possibly one of my favorite stories in general out of the realm of fanfic. I am holding out hope somehow for one last chapter to conclude this beautiful work, even if I am old and gray (which I already mostly am).
sistercity chapter 16 . 2/22
I think it is a pity that such a good story was abandoned so close to the end.
lothbrock-clan chapter 16 . 8/7/2015
I can't bear the thought of this ending here :(
Starluff chapter 16 . 7/6/2015
*Cracks knuckles* hang onto your hats everyone, I have a very glowing review to write.

I never liked Right Ho, Jeeves, for reasons I'm sure I don't have to explain. I dislike it so much, in fact, that after watching the episode based off of it, I am now actively avoiding the book itself, even though I very much love Wodehouse's writing. The fandom also seems to generally dislike it as much as myself but no one has ever done a fix-it fic that well. One made Jeeves feel marginally guilty and helped Bertie to gain some self-confidence, which is good, but only partially good, because if Jeeves liked Bertie to begin with, why did he do that to him at all?

But what you have done here is explain Jeeves's motives, while keeping him in character *and* making him like Bertie. That's not an easy task - it's one that I've thought of doing myself but could never think of how Jeeves would do it. And you've done it. I can't congratulate you enough.

Before talking about Bertie, I want to continue on about Jeeves for a bit. The beginning of the fic was a bit whiny - or so I felt when I was reading it. I don't really like reading something when the character is doing something wrong that is going to affect him negatively but s/he doesn't realize it yet, and you *know* that this is going to end badly for him, so it's like watching a train chugging merrily and obliviously along to its own doom. And then the wrecked remains of the train tells you, with its last dying breath, what it should and should not have done. I didn't really enjoy it.

But the the thing is, it all makes sense! My disliking it was more of a personal thing, so don't take any heed. Jeeves isn't going to go from an unfeeling and manipulative person to an extremely caring friend in seconds! And the fact is that he wasn't unaware of what he was doing but willfully ignoring it because he didn't want to think about it. It just makes so much sense! Explains everything!

And I didn't really like that he was being nasty, because I don't like nasty characters. Again, personal, please ignore. But the nastiness was also explained. It actually springs from the insecurity of his position in life. You've dealt with the class differences really well, IMO. You made Jeeves mean and manipulative, but the guilt isn't the entirety of the fic. Which is to say, as a reader, I don't hate Jeeves, but actually sympathize and feel for him. Yes, what he did was a horrible, abominable thing to do, but he did it because of his bad situation. It doesn't justify his actions but it does explain a great deal.

And then Bertie! What's not to like about you did with him? He's still the Bertie we know and love but utterly ripped to pieces. He's been broken in a way that has changed him but still makes him recognizable. His self-confidence is in tatters and he's desperate for love and affection that is not forthcoming. The struggle, the pain, the anger, you show all that beautifully. And the scene with Aunt Agatha was pure gold! Loved every second (ah, letter? Syllable?) of it :) What I liked about it is actually how it kind of shows Bertie a bit of what it's like to be a servant and how low people can think of you. And the 'Jeeves' list just about breaks one's heart...

Anything else to add? I love the character development. Jeeves had the most pronounced, of course, slowly realizing how he really hurt Bertie and trying to figure out a way of making things better. Bertie has as well, though he hasn't been getting stronger personality-wise but he's been going through trials trying to make things better and just about failing.

But I'm sure he is going to now! He feels unloved and like a fool, and now Jeeves is finally in the position (and is capable) to give him the support and love he needs. It won't be all fine in a day and a night, of course, but they are on the road to recovery, as they say.

I like these types of fics, where something awful happens and the characters have to deal with the aftermath, because it shows how, after they brave the trials and overcome the ordeals, they are actually better off than they were before. Jeeves has seen the error of his ways and realized that he loves Bertie, and Bertie has gained a backbone and, hopefully, some self assurance.

Not much more to say, really. The only reason why I hold out hope that you will continue is because you updated your profile this year. Hopefully, you'll feel inspired to write the next chapter? On a side note, I'm so glad I got to read until Ch.16 and 15, because I might have expired from suspense. As it is, it is in a somewhat satisfactory place: promising that the happy end is in sight, even if we haven't reached it yet. I don't like pressuring authors on pumping out chapters like there's no tomorrow, we all have lives (more's the pity), but I am curious as to how you're coming. Stuck? Inspired? Just wondering :) Thank you for the fic, regardless.

-Starluff
elliemorris chapter 16 . 6/25/2015
Poor Bertie! He's really been through a tough time here, and that's putting it lightly! Even though it was Jeeves who caused all that to happen - unintentionally, we all pray - I still feel deeply sorry for him also. Especially considering the circles he walks around in, trying to find a solution that either fails or backfires, and hardly relaxing due to poor Bertie... :( You really are a master of describing emotions - I've never seen it done in such depth before! I also never thought I'd see Bertie's emotions in such detail, as even though he goes through a lot in the novels and TV series, the worst of his feelings are seldom ever touched upon as he always seems to have the 'British stiff upper lip'. I like the way you break down the characters' thoughts, personalities and minds so much - really intense and original!

This story is so fantastically written and such an unusual (if you don't mind me saying so; I mean it in a very positive way) plot line for a Jeeves fanfic, so much that I found myself so absorbed in reading it in one sitting! When I looked at the clock I was surprised to find that it was past one in the morning, and I started reading hours before that! Thanks for writing this brilliant fic; it's given me so much more to consider about the P.G. Wodehouse characters in a new, interesting angle.

Truth be told, I was hoping for a definite ending to this story - such as a reconciliation between Jeeves and Bertie, so that Bertie will come out of his depression, poor man - but I still consider it really thought-provoking. I hope that there will be more written about Jeeves and Wooster by you, but as somebody who likes to write herself, I know that real life can sometimes really get in the way of things like this, and sometimes writers lose interest.
On the other hand, chapter 16 can also count for an ending in my books, as I read it as the characters finally speaking to one another seriously. Plus, Jeeves admits to himself that he loves Bertie (whether it's romantically or not, it still must have taken a lot of strength to do so), and Bertie allows physical contact with Jeeves, himself, rather than pushing him away like he did in previous chapters. I took that as them slowly trying to make sense of things with each other, and perhaps this will lead to them making up in the future - or at least I hope so.

Sorry for the long, prattling review - I just wanted to thank you for the excellent fic!
2503163941 chapter 15 . 4/21/2015
I can‘t believe it’s over!Your work is definitely marvellous!Maybe you‘ll never write more of this story,but I love it anyway
p.s I’ve already translated some chapters and my friends love it too.
2503163941 chapter 16 . 4/16/2015
I' m so in love with your story!It’s really a great piece of work!
And may I have the honor to translate it into Chinese?I' ll do my best
snowbunny3 chapter 16 . 3/7/2015
Just want to let you know this is the best Jeeves story I have ever read. I re-read it often and would love to read more of it. Hope you can update soon.
gracefultree chapter 16 . 12/3/2014
I've been totally captivated by your story! I'm sad there's no more...
I'll be waiting when you decide to come back to it.
gracefultree chapter 4 . 12/3/2014
That dinner was so painful! Glad there are more chapters!
gracefultree chapter 1 . 12/3/2014
Oh, great start! Looking forward to seeing how this pans out.
3aberkeley chapter 16 . 8/23/2014
Is that all? Will there be more?
Euphoracle chapter 16 . 7/21/2014
Aww! It can't end there! I need more! You made me love this novel, so you can't just walk away for good! Please.
Euphoracle chapter 10 . 7/21/2014
Your characterization of Jeeves is very insightful. I like your writing style, too. It's not childishly easy to follow, but it's far from labour-intensive.
Euphoracle chapter 3 . 7/21/2014
I wonder if the Jeeves stories were the inspiration for Yana Toboso's Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler) series? I mean, Jeeves really is a manipulative, proud shit, isn't he? Just like Sebastian Michaelis, the demon butler who calls himself one hell of a butler. I know it's a pun, but the characterizations are too close to be overlooked. Encouraging over dependence by his master, making sarcastic quips at his master's expense, letting the master be in danger since he's so very sure he can pull him out of the jaws of death at the last minute-Jeeves reborn!