Reviews for Parting Gift
woundedhearts chapter 1 . 8/8/2010
Wow poor Kendra and can i just say it now, i hate faith. Well at least in this story. And its nice too know that Kendra took her with her when she died. The fact that she was so calm near death really made me feel bad for her. Because she was letting go of life, but also she was done fighting for that life. This was a great one shot, you did a good job! :)
Elianna22 chapter 1 . 7/27/2010
This short chilling tale reads to me like an account of sisterhood gone awry. Not knowing the characters on the show, or their dynamics, I still applaud Kendra for killing Faith at the last moment. It sounds like she deserved to die, and I'm going to guess that with both of them gone, Buffy is now the sole Slayer?
JasonGroff chapter 1 . 7/25/2010
Very vivid language used. Both are portrayed very in character: young Faith with all her insecurities and the ever dutiful and brave Kendra. They never got to meet in canon, but it very well might have ended so tragically.
tiger002 chapter 1 . 7/25/2010
Whoa, this is a great story. Torturing favorite characters can be a lot of fun, though I find it difficult to actually kill them without finding a loophole to bring them back. No happy ending here. It was nice to see background on the characters which draw them out more. I liked seeing Kendra's strengh, even in death, but how Faith showed her true fears when she was about to die. The ending was good too, showing that even with their deaths, the struggle is far from over. Great one shot!
James Doyle chapter 1 . 7/25/2010
First off, I like how you've given enough exposition that this fic is accessible to people like myself who are not fans of the Buffy franchise.

Second, I think you conveyed the turmoil of someone contemplating her own death as it was happening very well.

Third, I'm not sure whether to think Kendra's killing of Faith was noble (since she had nothing to gain personally by it), or vindictive. But given the moral ambiguity of Whedon's 'verses, it could go either way.

Not sure what else to say as I don't know much about the franchise, but a very poignant, heart-wrenching piece, with a ray of hope at the end.
SilverTurtle chapter 1 . 7/25/2010
You did such a good job with this prompt! I'm all flaily and squeeful.

This was so dark and heartbreaking. I absolutely love that Kendra is unflappable, even in death. She knows she's going to die and accepts that, but she doesn't accept that Faith will become a monster and manages to lure her close enough to save her from herself. Kendra loved Faith enough to kill for her, to kill her to keep her from becoming a monster...that's pretty powerful.

I really like the image of Faith facing her own death. I could feel her panic when she realized Kendra had slit her throat. Pretty wrenching to see Faith go from powerful and gloating to helpless and afraid in the space of an instant. I wonder what her last thoughts were...if she'd be grateful to Kendra for stopping her, or if she'd just be afraid to die.

Having Faith die bleeding on top of and into Kendra is a really powerful way to end it. Even though they killed each other they're together in death. So heartbreaking and twistedly romantic and really damn sad at the same time.

I really liked your use of that italicized phrase "It wasn't supposed to be like this"...Kendra could be talking about any number of things: her dying, Faith killing her, Faith turning dark, her having to kill Faith, her loving Faith, there being two Slayers at all...it was a really effective use of the phrase and packed a pretty big emotional punch when the line was finished (and Kendra's thoughts were finished) towards the end.

And I really liked the last line "And less than a moment later, thousands of miles away...there was" and how it starts up the Slayer line again. Two die and one is Called.

Amazing piece Lody.