Reviews for Cry of the Gull
kinzeylee chapter 1 . 7/8/2012
wow, a really touching story. I loved every single part of it, especially the level of friendship between all three. it truely is bone-deep.
darkdranzer chapter 7 . 10/25/2010
hmm. this was interesting. a rather ...darker? take on the sea-longing. i dont actually like it...the sea-longing was just to call the elves home or something...and plently of elves live by the sea with no problem at all- i think it's just the woodelves that never been to valinar becasue they got left behind (ok wow that sounds so weird haha. but thats basically wut happened). basically my point is i dont think it would KILL them, but lol fanfiction. and i just rambled nonsense...

ShaolinQueen chapter 7 . 6/28/2008
Nellas Elendil chapter 7 . 11/21/2007
It was as wonderful as it would be to really be at sea. Of course, with Howard Shore playing in the background, The Breaking of the Fellowship, the story seemed more touching than it already was. Tanya farnuva. Vanya sulie.
Nellas Elendil chapter 4 . 11/21/2007
Your writing is as though I've found a friend. As I read it, not only can I feel myself in the story, but I can understand the pain of Legolas as your words describe it. It is almost as though I can read between the lines because of the relativity.
Lee chapter 7 . 8/9/2006
Particularly beautiful. You weaved a strong tale with a simple elegance.
memyselfandi chapter 7 . 1/12/2006
I always wondered what it was like for Legolas after the gulls called to him. This seems like just the sort of thing that he would feel. Never did like the fact that Legolas always seemed to get overlooked in the book. It's a good thing Leggy's got his friends with him.
Team Sherlock and Watson chapter 2 . 12/11/2005
Ah, poor Legolas and Aragorn. Giml is stupid for yelling at Aragorn like that. Aragorn was really trying but you know how stubborn Gimli can be LOL.
Joyeee chapter 7 . 9/17/2005
I see I'm very late to the party, but I hope you receive this review all the same, and that you don't mind its length.

What a wonderfully angsty-yet-ultimately-uplifting fic! There were only a few minor word choices I noticed as I devoured the fic - "how you fair," for example, is really "how you fare" but that's being really nitpicky. There are so many great aspects of this work, but four in particular I'd like to mention.

#1: You put in such a wealth of imagery. Your first chapter leaves readers with no wonder that Elves struck by the sea-longing soon depart Middle-earth for the brighter shores of Valinor, if they believe such complete fulfillment of the senses is what awaits them there. I especially like how you omit all names until Legolas actually hears someone trying to call him back to reality; it lends to the transcendant, timeless quality of his first brush with the sea-longing. And you carry this music symbolism throughout, such as Legolas's comparison in ch.3 of companions being like "voices of a choir" creating them - a neato reflection of how the combined songs of the Ainur crafted Middle-earth itself.

#2: In ch.3, Aragorn sudden's switcheroo from arguing about his own destiny to Legolas's "doom" is absolute genius! I felt as taken aback as Legolas must have when Aragorn turned all his arguments against him. Maybe I should've seen it coming, knowing Aragorn's purpose, but I was so caught up, especially leading up to that switch, as you picked up the pace with the one-liners back and forth between them.

#3: I found it really interesting how you contrasted the growing friendship between Gimli and Legolas, and the already-developed friendship of Legolas and Aragorn. (As much as I adore the idea that Aragorn and Legolas knew each other before the Quest, in my own view they were not anywhere as familiar or close with each other as some fics depict - but that's a view I happily override when reading fics!) I think at this point in the Middle-earth of your fic, Aragorn still is the one who knows and understands Legolas better. Gimli and Aragorn both love their friend, though. It's really neat how you manage to incorporate both these relationships in, with Aragorn wanting desperately to help, but needing to pull away more and more due to his duties as future King, and with Gimli stepping in as the there-anytime staunch supporter. This is illustrated so poignantly when Aragorn decides it's okay not to get to the bottom of why Legolas got injured - because Gimli is in on it, because Gimli thinks it's okay for Aragorn not to know, though he is the Elf's longtime friend and a healer to boot. And Aragorn trusts Gimli's judgment in that, because he sees knows Gimli would be the first to insist on aid for Legolas if the Elf really needed it. Wonderful how you incorporated all that!

Lastly, your characterization is excellent, most of all when it's done indirectly, with a line or two. Examples in Ch.2: Gimli says, "Tell me what . . . is [ailing Legolas] so that I may be a friend to him!" reflects exactly how he views his own responsibility toward friends - he cannot really be a friend unless he takes solid measures with real, practical results to aid those he cares about. The same thing with Legolas's "What other course do I have, Aragorn?" in Ch.3 when Aragorn tells him not to continue on. (Plus it emphasizes just how eye-to-eye Legolas and Gimli see on the important matters!) And Aragorn's reply to Gimli's reproach that they should have forced Legolas to leave them: "He would have hated us then, Gimli." It tells so much about the selfless nature of their friendship and the depth of understanding they share!

In short, an elegantly written story full of beautiful imagery and characterization!
Myra the Archer chapter 7 . 11/7/2003
This story is so beautiful... no its elegant. I love your style, it so detailed that i can see the images in my mind.
Meharet chapter 7 . 4/26/2003

You are incredible. I started this - and couldn't stop, much to the chagrin of my daughter (who was demanding her Simba cereal this morning).

Your gift for description and words are amazing. I'll be reading everything you write, of that I am certain. And you've inspired me as well, to be more cautious and more concerned with keeping the characters in Tolkien's original vision (gotta dig out that Silmarillion).

Shaan Lien chapter 7 . 3/31/2003
End? End? I would appreciate it greatly if this story would continue for just about forever.
Firnsarnien chapter 7 . 2/5/2003
Hi Ithilien. I just read this story for the umpteenth time and I love it every time. The part where Legolas has to lie to Aragorn about his injury always make me laugh my head off. I love it! I also really love the ending you gave this story. Kinda bittersweet. :)
Planet Mads chapter 7 . 1/31/2003
Wow, brilliant story! I loved the way you made Legolas open up, I especially liked the horse bit with Gimli!
Vana E chapter 7 . 11/29/2002
Ok, I'm going to put a normal review in here for once. I know there is a sequal to this in some way so my review will be heaps longer in there. Trust me, I get long. hee hee

Anyway...I Loved it. If only my father would stop bugging me and butting in with every single flippin thought he has going on in his head, I might have enjoyed it even more. Can't wait to move out, but I'm not old enough in this country if my dad says no, dammit.

Ok, I think this was...well, how can I explain it. TERRIFIC! I don't what it is about me and Legolas mental angst, it's like an insight to the side of elves we were never shown in the book. And the curiosity is overwhelming.

On another point, I make it a firm point NOT to make critiques when my own writing style severely sux in comparison. So be assured that this was a GREAT story, am now going to move on to the sequal. hee hee

ta ta