Reviews for My Remembrance
IlliadFan chapter 1 . 3/8/2014
I liked this. Helen is a complex character that can be looked at from several different angles. I liked the fact that you neither go for the "justifiable adultery" explanation - as in "Menelaus was a brute" - nor for the typical "selfcentered dumb blonde" approach.
Well done.
Hoplite39 chapter 1 . 8/18/2013
Interesting perspective from Helen. It feels like that she is living in denial in this story. It is hard to know what her motives are.

Given that she writes this account, just before the fall of Troy, it feels like she may be trying to write for the benefit of Menelaus. Putting the blame on others for her misjudgement. Blaming the Gods. Blaming Paris.

A previous reviewer said that Helen is portrayed as thoughtful in this story. But I would argue that she could also simply be manipulative. Always aiming to please those who serve her interests.
Aphrodite Incarnate chapter 1 . 9/1/2010
Thank you so much for this lovely piece. You present Helen as an intelligent and thoughtful woman, still compassionate where others would be cynical after all she's been through (it's hard not to lose faith in humanity when everyone is blaming you for starting a war!). I also really liked the clever shout out to the myth of her phantom going to Troy, in the paragraph about Paris' departure. Neat change of perspective.

My only gripe is that this is a one-shot! I would love it if you could expand on this. I read that you're a Classics major in your bio; please write more Homer/Greek myth works!