Reviews for What We Gain, What We Lose
Draupadi chapter 34 . 4/12
Please update soon. I have read this story a hundred times, and I am dying to know more. This is the best Veela story I have ever read.
roro chapter 34 . 3/23
awsome talent
Guest chapter 34 . 10/29/2014
Please update
Lahkesis chapter 34 . 9/21/2014
It is a great story which I would love to see completed. Draco is an asshole and I hope that he, at some point further along, comes to understand the destruction he wrought. Hermione is as much the brilliant and brave person JK Rowling described her to be my compliments for achieving that, I've read a lot of fanfictions where Hermione simply surrenders herself to Draco after sufficient force is applied this story is gloriusly different. Like I said I hope you'll finish this at some point I would love to see how it ends maybe even see Hermione gain true freedom once again but alas that seems a bit unrealistic especialy with a child on the way. My compliments for a job very well done thank you for sharing your talent. :)
veiland chapter 34 . 8/21/2014
I hope you come back and finish this. It's brilliant and deserves a conclusion.

I'd like to see how it ends. I'd like to see if Hermione solves the mystery of Draco's ancestor. I'd like to see if she and Ron get a chance to close the door on 'what could have been'. I'd like to see if Draco finally understands how his life hasn't changed while Hermione's has been destroyed, subject to his whims and favor. I suppose living with Voldemort for a year really wasn't enough time for him to understand what it's like to have the semblance of choice, to have his every move dictated by someone else who had very little care or regard for his feelings in the matter.
Honestly, I don't blame Hermione for how she's reacted to everything at all because it's exactly how I would respond. It's not Stockholm Syndrome; it's learning how to adapt and survive. She's a survivor, first and foremost and I love that you've turned her into one, a strong survivor. Love her baby? No, she can't. It's just another thing that's been foisted on her with no consultation and no regard for her feelings. She may not have been raped, but did anyone ask her if she wanted to have a baby? No. The topic of birth control caused discomfort, as if the idea of a woman NOT wanting a baby was shameful. Honestly, there were times when everyone's expectation that Hermione needed to get pregnant reminded me not only of the 18th and 19th Regency plots but also of slave accounts. Mistress has the baby and the slaves (in this case, the elves) end up taking care of it.

This is why the pill (and modern birth control) was so revolutionary: The fertility of women was finally within THEIR control! Women didn't have to pray not to get pregnant. They could finally take a pill that reduced their chances down to 5% (with correct usage) or less!

And at the same time, I feel for Draco. To be fed a potion that stripped away his natural feelings, then forced into a situation where his mind and body react to the one person he dislikes most? The person who hates him most? That's the person he now depends on, needs, cannot live without? Knowing that Hermione would run from him all her life? I can't help but feel some pity for him. He's always been a spoiled little git, so he reacts the way he's always known and the person he needs in order to stay sane for the rest of his life is the person most likely to kill him? In some perverse way, I completely understand his feelings in the matter. Yeah, if I were Draco, I'd take Hermione's wand, her freedom, and everything I could in order to get her to stay still long enough to spend time with me in the hopes that time spent in each other's company would lessen the hatred. And that's exactly what you had them do and I loved this story all the more for it.

What I love most is the realism of it. I read through about three pages of reviews before I stopped in disgusted amusement. I suppose some of your reviewers don't understand that, as little as 50 years ago, that was the reality for some many women in the DEVELOPED world! Hell, in some countries, Hermione's plight IS the reality for women! Where is the wailing and gnashing of teeth and rending of garments for them, huh? It's the realism of this story combined with the absolutely spoiled, narcissistic complaints in the reviews that make the 'I'm not a Feminist' movement such an annoyance to me. Because a denial of women's rights anywhere is a threat to women's rights everywhere (to borrow from MLK)!

Please finish this! It's wonderful and a great read when I'm not in the mood for fluffy 'I'm a Veela and you're my mate and you're going to fall in love with me because I'll die otherwise!' stories. If this were a meal, it's meat and potatoes, not fluffy cake and whipped frosting.
marthapreston4 chapter 4 . 7/23/2014
I thought I could do it but I cant keep reading watching Malfoy act like a neadethral controlling asshole this isnt love or romantic is just control
marthapreston4 chapter 2 . 7/23/2014
its kind of hard to read instead of a loving veela he treats her like a dog its digusting
Grovek26 chapter 34 . 7/4/2014
A marvellous story. I hope you consider completing it.
S. Wright chapter 2 . 3/2/2014
Draco is creepy as hell.
I've read two Draco Veela stories that focus on the animalistic aspects and they are my favorites, but not even they truly explored the topic like this story. Hermione loosing her rights and freedom is a wonderful way of tackling this subject, it is a constrast to the animal that Draco has become and how society deals with him. There is so much I want to say about this, but I am desperate to continue reading. I am intrigued and fascinated by this story and I cannot wait to get to the end.

Sean
JstDani chapter 34 . 9/19/2013
A friend recommended this one to me, and honestly I was a little hesitant after the first couple chapters... But after continuing on you've got me hooked! I need to know what happens! How does it end! Does Hermione come to love Draco, does Draco realise how he needs to change! Will the Veela thing ever be resolved! Write author, WRITE!

Oh, and nice story by the way.
PastHopingFor chapter 34 . 9/9/2013
AHHHHH NOOOO WHY DID YOU STOP THERE?! AHAHA I KNOW IT'S BEEN YEARS BUT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE COME BACK AND FINISH THIS STORY! PLEASE, YOUR WRITING AND PLOT ARE AMAZING AND AHHH NEED TO BE FINISHED!
littlemissy014 chapter 34 . 2/25/2013
Great story!
Tragedy of Life chapter 2 . 2/16/2013
draco is a asshole like i understand he is veela but still..i like how u made this dark its different and makes me think more deeply
boothaddict77 chapter 34 . 2/12/2013
You either have a very sick, twisted understanding of happiness in a context of antiquity, or conservative parents from a developing country who've sold you on the concept of arranged marriages. I'm going to go with the former. That or you spent one too many hours in college attending lectures about medieval and Regency era society.
JM2010 chapter 34 . 11/26/2012
Hi! Do you plan on finishing this? Have you moved to another site?