Reviews for Witch Night
Jadzania chapter 6 . 3/6/2011
a very beautiful, complex story. i enjoyed reading it a lot
m chapter 6 . 12/10/2010
A lovely, moving fic...Thank you
Vera Rozalsky chapter 6 . 9/16/2010
This story is gorgeous for its densely textured specificity (the sensory details of different places and times, the tones of voice, even the music that plays in the background) and its apparently effortless weaving together of past and present, real and fictional, magical and Muggle. The final scene brings tears to the eyes, as one realizes that Wilhelmina's young relation has missed her, just nearly.

The splendid parts (and there were so many): the evocation of the 1930s Quidditch scene, lesbian life in the Muggle and wizarding worlds, England and Germany both of the thirties and the present day... which make me want to _go there_, but I can't, because the places you are writing either no longer exist or are fictional. To write fiction-fantasy-that's as real as real life: that's a triumph.
the real snape chapter 6 . 9/16/2010
/"Erm ... shalom," the orange-clad one said.

Who'd have guessed, Rolanda thought./

It's brilliant how Rolanda keeps her wry sense of humour. But heart-breaking - even after several readings, while I know it's coming, Willa's death is like a punch in the gut.

/"She's ... we're expecting a baby."

One could almost have thought that that information was total news to the mother-to-be. /

Aawww. That, at least, ends well.

/"Well, fuck me with a fried sausage!"/

Please. Do you have to do it to a visualiser?

/with the stern-looking woman in green with the intellodyke specs on the cover?/ Love the cameo!

/with a snort that won them a scorching look from a no-longer-dozing fellow passenger./ It's amazing how people at nearby tables (or in nearby seats, I suppose) can react when two Muggle women quietly plot fanfic together.

I look forward to the details on the Lesbian History Project.

/I would tell you after what or whom I've modelled Bertha BQC Berlin, but the pain is still too fresh./ *Hugs*
Chemistress chapter 6 . 9/7/2010
The review for this last chapter is the most difficult to write: it is a really sad one for me, no matter all the funny bits you throw in and the epilog...The "it had been two weeks now..." hit me pretty hard when I read it for the first time - there had been this sense of dread, but I still had hope. /Chance had a strange sense of humour./ is a good summary of your plot, and I have difficulties to accept this brand of humor *sigh*

The "sparkly athletic shoes and practical hiking sandals" would have given you away as the author, if this had been posted anonymously *LOL*.

The "Shalom"-greeting and "likewise"-reply is an inspired joke to take up your "Kvidditch"-theme once more.

/She deserved to know. And, more importantly, Wilhelmina deserved it./ She is so right...to my tast she could have told even much more later, always these rules !

*LOL* for the rainbow-striped upholstery that has this strange calming effect on those two Muggles.

/One could almost have thought that that information was total news to the mother-to-be./ *LOl*

/..she found herself, once more, with an armful of Plank.../ *melts* wonderful!
Kelly Chambliss chapter 1 . 9/6/2010
Somehow I completely missed that you were posting this story - obviously I need to put you on Author Alert!

But it's been lovely to have the chance to read this wonderful fic again. From the very opening, you establish a depth and texture to the world and to the characters that makes me feel as if I'm part of the story. Images like this one - "Timid rays of whitish light shone into her garden, making the clouds of mist that rose from the dewy grass look like so many tiny thoughts in a Pensieve" - do a lot to put us squarely in the wizard mind. And I love the hints you give as to backstory yet untold.

One of my favorite lines:

"She'd always loved that feeling of an early morning fly. Let others have caffeine. Rolanda Hooch needed nothing but air and a few icy droplets in her face to feel wide awake, wide alive."
the real snape chapter 5 . 9/6/2010
Best way to spend a lunch break, your delightful story.

I love Thea's temper, and the musical expression of it. Good she didn't have to throw a Wagner, after all.

/Give Thea Jones anything with the word stage in it, and you could trust the magical attraction to work./Great. As is the whole Muggle explanation for all things magical.

/some Bertha who obviously stank at kvidditch / *offers silent sympathy*

And Madam Vaclavik. /Even her consonants were mild-mannered./ The only thing against her is that she isn't canon, so that we can't invite her for Christmas.

/Their hostess appeared in the doorway after exactly the time it took two people in compromising positions to sit up straight again and put their hair and garments in order./ She's such a darling!

And the way Vic and Thea slowly get back together is beautiful.
Swallow B chapter 6 . 9/4/2010
Well, that was an excellent 'lesbian fairy tale' - except that it is much more than that. It can be read from different viewpoints, each time differently, which is the mark of a good story. You managed to take two minor HP characters, put them in a completely different setting that has very little to do with the original story and it worked, and the magic is still there. Quite an admirable feat. The link, I guess, was, well, 'Wilhelmina Plank' could be read as a German name, which it could, indeed, and you found a perfect way to bring the 'Grubbly' in.

And as I said before, I very much enjoyed the style and the humour. The 'grandmother clock' was a nice touch.

The ending added a new dimension of mystery and confusion about what is real, that I like.

This is a story that should make readers think, on several levels.
IronSpockMaster chapter 6 . 9/3/2010
This was brilliant. A great ending :)

Well done, and I hope to read more masterpieces like this from you in the future :)
Chemistress chapter 5 . 8/29/2010
I love how now Thea and Vic enter the "Hotel am Nollendorfplatz"...how they think of modern explanations for the magic, like Infrared-Sensors and Airconditioning..

Of course I adore your qualifying Thea's different volumes by composers *LOL*, and the "Ham wa nich" *gg*;

i...some Bertha who obviously stank at kvidditch (what had he been doing back there?)/i is without question the funniest line of the chapter !

Thank you for your M. Vaclavik, and her listening to Dvorak ;-))

How she almost slips in her efforts to hide everything magical...a wonderful scene;
the real snape chapter 4 . 8/29/2010
I just love the description of the party, and Rolanda's reaction to all of it. As nightlife goes, it's a pretty good party. But the grimness underneath is there, in an understated way that is very effective.

/first marrying a shiksa and now losing his teaching position to a third-rate dabbler in nationally conform historiography …/ Indeed.

And the whole story of Wilhelmina! Must say that the rhino-spell might be a useful one in a self-defense course.

And Amelia isn't *bratty*, she's a girl of taste. I'd have loved Miss Roberts, too.
Swallow B chapter 5 . 8/28/2010
I am absolutely loving this. Nice and mysterious, still the touch of humour ("Bertha obviously stank at kvidditch" made me laugh). Great work, very well done.
IronSpockMaster chapter 5 . 8/27/2010
I particularly liked this chapter, and the bit about the building and them reading it, not knowing that it obviously had a secret keeper... it was very clever.
the real snape chapter 3 . 8/23/2010
/The pale, bespectacled snowy owl trapped in the body of an archivist / How dare you trick us like that! It's brilliant.

/not much time passed until Rolanda Hooch found herself half-dressed in Wilhelmina Plank's small but cosy bedroom/ Again, such a great teaser of a line.

With in between the delightful Frau Irmgard and the Rainbow Army.

/between a shapeless flannel monstrosity / why would anyone want to have a thing like that in their closets?

/Two brash Berlin bubis, dressed to dance and dally with the damsels./ That line is such a feast - both the image and the alliterations.
Swallow B chapter 4 . 8/21/2010
This chapter was sad, but sounded incredibly real (except for the battle at the end). You did a great job of making the wizarding world and its problems parallel the Muggle world. You have created a whole childhood and life story for Wilhelmina that is very plausible. Of course, if she is Muggle born, that would explain why we don't hear any more about her after OotP. I am enjoying this very much.