Reviews for If on a Winter's Night
BellaTesoro chapter 32 . 7/18
Well, I'm still weeping as I write this last review. It's been years since I thought it would be completed and yet I still came back, reread it, needed to visit with these brave boys. I didn't know if there would be an ending, as it's not marked complete but I took a chance and I'm glad I did. I have to be honest, I was worried there for a while, when Edward went to the meadow and even with that struggle to get to Jasper the boys did not find their footing there and I thought perhaps Edward was going to get his way and let his beautiful boy go. But this ending, at the graduation, Edward standing and falling with his beautiful heart coming to carrying him those last steps, coming clean with their new life in front of everyone who cared and supported them was so lovely. Oh I could go on but I think you know how much your writing, this story has moved me and readers like me. Your wish will come true with me, if only one thing I take is to never drink and drive is a given but you've left me with looking at love and life with so much more respect and appreciation. Thank you for at least giving us this ending. I hopeful you'll come back and give us a look into what the boy's life looks like as they continued to grown and move on from this most tender coming of age love story. Wishing you the best of luck with your published work.
BellaTesoro chapter 31 . 7/18
I don't blame Jasper at all for feeling so lost. He put his soul into one young man and although he says it was teenage foolish to think they could marry so young, I think Jasper was all in. And Edward, I'm thinking he was always the practical one and he's being practical now even though it's killing him like it's killing Jasper. I so wish I could hear from Edward now. I'm so afraid we aren't going to get our last chapter to find out if these two find their HEA in the future and I'll be left feeling like Jasper here, a piece missing.
Amazing how you write so the reader feels all that the character does. I can't imagine what Jasper's mother must be thinking. She obviously knows Jasper is hurting and it has to do with Edward. But how much does she know?
BellaTesoro chapter 30 . 7/18
Going back to the race...I really feel badly for Jasper's parents. They are such loving and good parents, they've allowed this young man to devote so much time and energy toward another family and have given them the bare minimum. When they suggested a celebration dinner after the race and Jasper said he'd rather go to the Cullen's home, and yes it was to be with Edward...I mean he could have given them at least the opportunity to share in his wonderful efforts for all he accomplished. The Cullens could have joined them. Anyway, that just hit me hard how much Jasper gives up on his side and yes Edward is the one who needs the extra support but my heart always hurts for Jasper and his family so when Edward says Jasper will never understand how he feels and what he will never be able to do and gave in to whatever Riley's kiss meant or did not mean, well I hated it. I know the darkness ahas a hold on Edward right now and hopefully he'll allow Jasper to help him through it again until he can get to the place that Riley is, acceptance and peace knowing life won't ever be the same but it can be good again. And I feel badly that it's all or nothing with Edward. Now he's taken Riley out of someone who could have been a friend once their kiss was understood for what it was. they both got caught up in the moment. I hope these next two chapters bring closure to the story and these characters even though it isn't all complete.
BellaTesoro chapter 28 . 7/18
Back in 2012 when I first read this story, I reviewed chapter 29 but not 28 so I'm going to review it again here because I just loved that chapter so much. Coming back to it all these years later and rereading has been a blessing. I'm so glad you've kept the story here for us to read and reread. I just had to put that in here...now to chapter 29:
Since Jasper is always going above and beyond for Edward and he's worked so hard for him and because he's a hard worker all around and so mature for his seventeen year old self...to see him nervous about meeting with the hospital group and presenting his case for a donation, it reminded me just how vulnerable and young Jasper really is. I loved that Edward stepped up and helped him by preparing the computer presentation and that he encouraged Jasper this time. For Edward to now be there for him makes my heart happy. And when Edward suggested he wear his suit and Jasper came by wearing said suit, well I can picture how handsome he looked. I'm amazed at how independent these two boys are, especially Jasper as he does all this without any parental help or real guidance. Today most kids get spoon fed everything tough in life, sometimes for good reason and sometimes only because the parents don't want their kid to fail. These parents give their kids so much room for them to do it on their own and step in only when really needed. Sometimes I wish they could ease the boys burdens more than they do, but then this story wouldn't be as meaningful as it is. Going back to Jasper's presentation, of course given how well Jasper presented his case, Dr. Cullen on staff as well as his mother, it is good and decent they donated what they did. But what impressed me more, those lunch ladies that Jasper whined to everyday, that these ladies making very little got together and donated what they could. This is just one example of how your details in this story go a long way to make the story so meaningful. And then the scene at basketball practice when Edward was on the skin team and had to reveal his piercings and Riley teasing him and Edward admitting that Jasper was counting down to when he could play with them and Riley said "I bet he is..." That made me smile big. I love when these boys can just be boys, enjoy life's light moments. Glad the parents weren't there or he'd have some "splaining" to do.
Jasper running and his inner thoughts and finally seeing his friends and teachers and those lunch ladies...all had me in tears for him and so so proud of him! I was cheering Jasper on as if I were there at the race with my own Team Whitlock and on the back Team Cullen shirt.
So three more chapters and an epi you say? Yet I see this story is not complete. But I'll read what you have. So so good.
BellaTesoro chapter 14 . 7/12
I always wondered why Edward's teammates, schoolmates hadn't gone to see him or support him in any way. I see now that wasn't true, that the coach and team were at the hospital. It was a not only a good and decent thing to include Edward during the Senior game but it was a teaching moment for those high school students and the community at large. It was a very moving moment to have Edward sit with the team, be part of the team and show he was still "seen" and appreciated. Jasper and Edward really are in their own little bubble and as beautiful as it is, I think Edward and Jasper need to extend into other friends and family. I wonder why Jasper isn't going to track practice and thinking about himself too during this time. He's so selfless and thinks only of Edward.
The Valentine's Day gift, the St. Christopher "regift" was beautifully written. To tie in the other meaning behind that saint, the story of him carrying Christ and how he got his name was fitting and lovely. So Jasper isn't the only one who can give beauty in gift and deed. Edward did good with that gift. Oh and Jasper sitting with Edward in the chair and helping Edward see they can still be sensual together and Edward got hard! Even a "little" means there's more ways these two boys can express their sexuality. Wonderful chapter.
BellaTesoro chapter 10 . 7/10
This is another chapter I guess I didn't review, thankful I can have a say now...I can just picture this scene being filmed. Of Alice at the door wrapping her arms over her cold self, watching Jasper take her newly wheelchair brother out into the cold...and Jasper dazzling her into knowing he'd protect her brother and boy did he. I can see the camera rolling down a road, with snow on the side and the path leading to the meadow with Edward determined to wheel himself through slush until he couldn't and then Jasper carries him and dances with him in his arms, two boys with their beanies on and smoke coming out of their warm mouths into the cold...I can picture Jasper baring Edward's weight both physical and emotional as he makes him smile and promises things will be ok. I feel Jasper's strength, bravery even when his body is weak with all he's been through, he still manages to have the strength to carry his soulmate no matter how heavy it is to do so. Beautiful chapter of them coming together again in the meadow.
BellaTesoro chapter 5 . 7/9
Looks like chapter 5 is one of the few I didn't review on my first read, so I'll try to get my thoughts through this time around.
I remember from my first read feeling utter sadness for Jasper, oddly more so than Edward at this point. I think it's because although Edward is the victim of the accident and he is the one with the physical injury, Jasper's injuries can't been seen. Edward may not be able to control his wellness at this point but he is in control of what he'll allow from others. And he's rejecting Jasper and doing it very soundly. Is it not enough the Jasper feels helpless and guilty but he's lost his best friend, his soulmate won't let him be there for him. I'm curious, and I can't remember, if Edward won't let Jasper contact him because he blames him or because it just hurts to see his pity and feels he can't offer him anything as a boyfriend anymore and so just wants and needs to wallow right now. When Edward spoke out in his sleep and said "it is your fault" maybe he wasn't saying the accident was his fault? I can't remember. Reading this again is like reading it for the first time. The camping trip flashback was so lovely. Seeing these boys, with their young bodies, expressing their growing love for each other in such a pure and beautiful way. *sigh* I'm glad we get to see their good days so that the bad ones aren't so dark.
BellaTesoro chapter 1 . 7/8
Hi. I wonder if you still read the reviews for this story. I read it the first time way back when. I'm here again because every once in awhile something in real life makes me think of this hauntingly beautiful story and I need to revisit with these characters. Here goes. Thank you for keeping this here. And I know you must be sick of hearing this but if you could, please complete it for us it would be greatly appreciated. It's like the boys are being suspended in space somewhere and that makes me sad.
HesMyBelAmi chapter 32 . 3/31
This was such a great and original story! I know it's been a few years and I don't know if you'll ever see this but I'd love to eventually read the ending.
Kelly457 chapter 22 . 3/8
Such an illuminating chapter! Loving these boys more and more! PS This is my fifth read-through of your novel...it deserves to be published!
A1234D chapter 32 . 2/22
I have never been so awestruck by a story until reading WN! I felt every emotion through the story and after reading this for the second time, I still can't get enough.
Beautiful peace of Art. Really hope you get the chance to post the epilogue and tie off the remaining loose ends. Thanks for sharing this with us!
Ninienboite chapter 32 . 1/5
Vow... thanks you for taking us with you in this wonderful story!
Guest chapter 27 . 11/26/2016
Sequel! Please, a sequel! Love these boys!
Kelly457 chapter 32 . 11/28/2016
Just bought and read 'Chase The Storm'. Please now do a book for these boys; you and they deserve it.
Kelly457 chapter 28 . 11/27/2016
Sequel! I want 'The Race'! I want to know about College and OSU! I want the Meadow Wedding! Greedy of me I know. But I'm so invested in these boys' journey, I want all you can say about them both. Loved M&A by the way...my fav Fic EVER!
3,588 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »