Reviews for Push and Pull
Renee Aubin chapter 17 . 21h
Oops, this makes it worse:
‘With [Mike's] eye color darkening from red to black, I knew that we'd have a hard time controlling the newborn when he woke up ravenous.’

Weird: ‘There was no breathing, no pupil reaction, and no reflexes. It was as if he was completely dead, if he were human.’
A reminder of how indestructible vampires really are.

Good description of how ridiculously immovable an unconscious vampire would be.
I did not expect this! ‘Apparently, Mike had the power to not only knock a vampire unconscious, but also force them into some kind of sleep pattern.’

This made me laugh:
"Good morning, sunshine," I said. "Yelling your name doesn't wake you up, but I guess accidentally grazing your crotch does the trick."

Yeah, I bet he was confused “waking up” for the first time in decades. He was certainly unnerved by the process of falling asleep.

Hmm, seems to be like Mike: ‘[Edward’s] eyes were twin bottomless black pools. I could have sworn they were amber when I went to sleep. The color change, the movement from satiated to raw hunger, had never happened this fast before.’

An interesting point: ‘Edward looked away from me, seemingly embarrassed to recount the tiniest aspect of the inner workings of his subconscious.’
His conscious mind has been in control for as long as he can remember.

When Edward continues to drink from her bicep after drawing out the venom,
‘The panic that had threatened to overtake me dissipated and was replaced with a new emotion – strong desire. I relished the thought that only I could give him this. I could nurture him and satiate his hunger, in every way possible.’
Makes sense that it would be emotionally satisfying to Bella.

Pretty much vampire heaven: ‘Edward's lips didn't stray from my bicep as I slipped my hand into his pants, tugging his length free. I studied his face while I began to stroke him, measuring his reaction to my boldness. He growled low in his chest, closing his eyes tightly while he continued to drink from me.’

Good for her: ‘It was ultimately his decision, only he knew if he could handle this kind of intimacy.’

Well done and believably vampiric first time for them. Oh, and did I mention h-o-t?

Well I guess Charlie/Renee/Billy/Jacob’s timing COULD have been worse, like just a few minutes earlier.
Smile: ‘It was bad enough to be caught by Charlie, but Renee too? She'd probably want details.’

Boy, there was just no good way out of THAT situation. You wrote Charlie well – he’s no dummy, and would not be in any way amused.

Uh oh: "I know what those eyes mean." And “I'm calling your father."

The cat’s out of the bag now! And how much worse will it be with Renee, Billy, and Jacob each contributing their special point of view?
Renee Aubin chapter 16 . 4/15
Jeez, what a persistent dream. Go away, Mike! Nice detail, dreams are really like this: ‘… the voice morphed from the newborn's to Edward's when he said my name.’

I had to laugh when Emmett put his foot through the door that Edward had torn off the hinges. Edward just can’t catch a break, no matter what he tries to tell Charlie. And Emmett seems to be enjoying his dilemma.

Some really steamy making out when Bella is supposed to be going downstairs to leave with Charlie. "Just one more minute” – right.

Bummer that Jasper gets stuck keeping an eye on unconscious Mike in the garage. Sigh, the things he does for their humans! Well imagined:
‘One whiff of the inside of our house would send Mike into a frenzy. He'd ransack the dwelling for Charlie and Bella, tearing the place to pieces before realizing that the sound of their heartbeats were long gone.’

It’s probably a good thing that Bella can say this to Charlie honestly:
"You know as much as I do right now about that situation."

Crashing back to sleep with Edward in her own bed sounds like just what she needs.
Kind of funny that Charlie ditches Emmett at the bowling alley, while Emmett is inside dealing with Victoria. Not funny, though, that Charlie doesn’t even realize the threat from Victoria.

Snicker:
‘"Alice," was all I could get out before she spewed out so many words so fast that they ran into one big word.’

Yeah, I bet: ‘Living in this coven, with no special abilities to speak of, sucked major ass sometimes.’

Interesting: ‘But [Mike] didn't expect me to be swifter and more powerful than the previous time we'd tussled.’ Because of Bella’s blood.

Well done fight scene between Mike, Edward and Jasper. I liked Jasper’s curiosity about the light from Mike’s palm. Great idea to apply Mike’s threat to Mike himself.

Ha ha, Charlie’s explanation for ditching Emmett:
"I figured you'd found a new hobby, so I left you to it."

Uh oh, Emmett lets it slip that even Bella has a history with Victoria.

Yes, this would hurt: ‘I ignored the small pang of jealousy, knowing that my brother seemed to be gaining something Charlie would only grudgingly give me – acceptance.’

Jasper makes a very good point:
"Everyone freaks out when I lost control over blood from a simple paper cut, but you'll protect Edward when he's definitely lost control?"
I feel sorry for Alice that she can’t tell Jasper the whole story.

So what is going on with sleeping Bella and one-armed Mike?
Renee Aubin chapter 15 . 4/10

Ha ha, Charlie’s explanation for ditching Emmett:
"I figured you'd found a new hobby, so I left you to it."

Uh oh, Emmett lets it slip that even Bella has a history with Victoria.

Jasper makes a very good point:
I feel sorry for Alice that she can’t tell Jasper the whole story.

So what is going on with sleeping Bella and one-armed Mike?
Renee Aubin chapter 14 . 4/2
I liked that Emmett ‘didn't need to be Dr. Phil to know’ what Bella needed after her abduction.

And this is a good question: ‘How do you think I've gotten along with Rosie all of these years?’

Pretty funny, when Emmett takes Bella upstairs after her sedative:
‘"Alice is the world's biggest cock block." She snuggled her head into my chest, giggling to herself.
"Um, yeah. I don't know how to respond to that," I admitted.’

Good one! ‘Loud cracking noises assaulted me as soon as I opened the door. The sound of the bowling balls hitting the pins reminded me too much of vampire body parts being torn from their owner.’

Hmm, I wonder if Emmett will tell Charlie about Victoria's presence in the bowling alley. He really should know he was wrong that there were only "regular folks" involved in the fight.

Interesting development that Mike catches Edward with red eyes, and figures out what it means. He has been waiting a long time to get one up on Edward:
"She deserves to know that you aren't who you say you are."
Renee Aubin chapter 13 . 3/26
Delicious summary:
‘I just got her back after the most horrible hours of my life. It wasn't only the terror of Bella's abduction, but the nightmare I had while I was unconscious from Mike's wretched ability that he used to defend himself. … I was left for dead with only Charlie to protect me while the mad man made off with what was mine.’

You do a nice job detailing the small moments when Edward is distracted by Bella’s blood. It certainly seems to be aggravated by his, uh, indulgence.
Good line: ‘My body reacted before my mind had time to realize it wasn't being consulted first.’

And no wonder they’re reckless, with both of them having believed "I didn't think I'd see you again.”

Smile:
‘"Edward, maybe we should get that. It could be important." Bella rasped through quick, shallow breaths. But her actions spoke much more loudly than her words, because she didn't stop the rhythmic movement of her hand.’

Oh my gosh, Alice is close enough for Edward to share her wildly varying visions! How disappointing for Bella that they stopped, but I agree with him that ‘We needed time to figure out what the possible strings of the future meant, what was the right course.’
It really is sad that when Charlie arrives Edward has to take off, rather than being there to support Bella, because of his red eyes. Nothing amusing about that.

Good lines from Victoria:
"What is it about that mousy little bitch that has all of the men so intrigued … Just one errant wind gust had my only mate, James, running all over the country just to taste her."

Funny: ‘Now that I was a vampire, I saw why Bella was so into Edward Cullen. How could she help it?’

Ah, so Mike has kept his "Go to sleep" beams a secret from Victoria. I wouldn’t have given him credit for being such a strategic thinker!
Snort: ‘Plus, I had no idea how I made my hands do that in the first place. Some trick.’
Renee Aubin chapter 12 . 3/20
When the Cullens talk about the new vampires Victoria is spawning left and right, there seems to be no discussion about the possibility of training each newborn to be vegetarian. It really struck me when Alice and Edward went to track down Bella using her phone GPS:
‘The rest of our coven had gone in search of Lauren while we left to find Bella. Alice spoke so confidently while she showed me her vision, one with Jasper, Emmett, and Rosalie ripping Lauren apart while Carlisle and Esme started a fire to incinerate her.’
But then when they actually do find her, there’s plenty of attempt to help and educate her.

Nice touch that the wallpaper photo on Bella’s phone is of Edward. Of course it is.

Well done!
"Why do you think I sent Charlie and the mutt away? It was much too loud with their hearts pounding in their chests for me to listen for Bella's."

I wondered about this at first, re Lauren: ‘…holding her torn off arm to her chest with the other one. A large stain of her leftover human blood spread across the thin shirt she wore.’
But the canon explanation for why newborns are so powerful had to do with their own blood that remains in their tissues. Eww, messy.

Snicker, from Jasper: ‘My gift apparently didn't affect her innate bitchiness.’

Hmm, Bella is so practical about offering Edward her blood for nourishment when they’re in the middle of the mess with Victoria, Mike, and Lauren. I’m glad you show Edward on the edge of control, which seems to be more of a challenge each time he tastes her blood.

I thought (or maybe assumed) Mike kidnapped Bella on Victoria’s orders … No? Or are Victoria and Laurent just playing the Cullens?
Renee Aubin chapter 11 . 3/15
Well-imagined dream for Edward. How disorienting to not have slept in nearly a century and then have your brain serve up such a convincing dream! Eventually, even Mike turns up.

Now that’s a quaint idea – walking to church.

Huh, I wonder if Mike even knows that Edward’s not actually dead?

It IS ironic that Bella knows so much more about being a vampire than Mike does.

Snicker: ‘And now I had her boyfriend's body cluttering up my yard.’
Especially since Charlie is used to dealing with actual dead bodies – now he REALLY knows Edward is different.

Thank goodness for GPS!
Renee Aubin chapter 10 . 3/9
Funny when Emmett finds out what his Forks PD uniform will look like.

I have to feel a little sorry for Mike: "I didn't think there was anyone else like me around here."
So even after he is a vampire himself, he didn’t recognize it in the Cullens, hmm. What’s the expression, not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Well imagined: ‘Alice was uncharacteristically quiet, a stream of ever changing visions running through her mind like a movie playing on fast forward. It was dizzying trying to follow the possibilities and I made an effort to block her out just so I could focus.’

I guess this is a skill Edward would have had to perfect long ago: ‘I listened passively; the emotionless expression I usually displayed was on my face and not giving my telepathy away.’

Pretty funny: "Bella, wake up. You're drooling all over poor Emmett's shoulder."
I can imagine Emmett being afraid to move.

What on earth is Edward’s deal with his sudden possessiveness?
Uh oh: ‘Before he could answer, the room was cleared of all vampires not involved in this disagreement’

Charlie has a very practical outlook on the existence of mythical creatures: ‘Charlie quickly replied. "I like being the chief of police in this town. No one wants a crazy cop on the job. If I started talking openly about vampires and werewolves to anyone, they'd get a padded room ready for me at the hospital."’

Ooh, so the dead girl is not Lauren? Who is it?

That’s creepy, even the alert presence of both Charlie and Edward wasn’t enough to protect her from newborn Mike. And what on earth did he do to Edward?
Renee Aubin chapter 9 . 3/1
Good for Charlie:
"I'm just trying to understand the situation, Bella. I want to make sure you went into this relationship with your eyes wide open. And not under false pretenses."

Smile:
"I need to shower and brush my teeth."
"I'm not invited?" [Edward] sounded hurt. "You were so willing yesterday."
What a guy.

Well done scene of Edward taking blood from her leg-shaving cut.
Overall quite sensual, but this was unexpectedly scary:
‘When I shifted uncomfortably, a solid hand clamped down on my hip and another on my knee, holding me tightly in place.’
Vampire!

‘He knelt before me again, cleaning the remainder of the blood with a slow flick of his tongue. We both groaned at the same time, but I blushed while he gave me a slow smile before applying the adhesive bandage.’
That “slow smile” made me shiver in a good way!

Well said: ‘I closed my eyes, reveling in the glorious feelings that such a simple act could spread through my entire body.’
And then, he takes it another step! Magic hands indeed.

Cute: "That was," I began. "I never thought," I tried again. He smiled at me lovingly and smoothed the hair away that was stuck to the sweat on my forehead. "Thank you."

‘Great things happened when we were finally alone together. For the first time, we were both satisfied with life at the same time.’
I have to say it’s a let-down when an excellent lemon is followed by watered-down lemonade. Although I have a lot of sympathy for how difficult it must be to write fresh, sensual sexy times.

Interesting that Alice keeps warning Edward that his “indulgence” could have a bad outcome.

Thank you!
‘"I think Bella should have known about them way before one transformed in front of her," Alice said.’

No wonder Bella is freaked out, to find out an unfamiliar vampire was stalking Charlie at the crime scene. What a clever idea, having one of the Cullens on the police force!

Great line from Rosalie re Emmett:
"He'll only be intimidating as long as he doesn't speak."
So true.

It's unfortunate, though, that Jasper ‘was still a little hurt that Bella didn't want him to be alone with Charlie.’ Maybe he should ask Bella her reason – she didn’t actually say that!

Well this is only fair, re Alice’s vision of E&B in the shower:
"Spill, Alice. You did see something. Don't lie to me. Edward got to see the truth."
Renee Aubin chapter 8 . 2/22
Good description of the ‘waiting in the dark alone at a murder scene’ part of every cop’s job. Most of us wouldn’t have the nerves for it. And in this case it turns out there was something much more dangerous than a bear watching Charlie!

This is dedication:
‘I owed this girl more than a botched investigation that could jeopardize potential evidence that would lead to her killer.’

It’s also kind of amazing that Charlie can do this: ‘All of the strange revelations that had appeared in the last few hours would have to be shelved until later.’
“Strange” is a mild word for it!

Interesting that they conclude Lauren “Must have bled out somewhere else”.
I never thought of that.

Smile, when Alice figures out it’s the wolves short-circuiting her visions:
"I'm not broken! I've got to call Jasper…”

I liked that Bella was the one to suggest "Don't you want to finish what we started last night?"

Well done:
‘"So, vampires, huh," he said in classic Charlie fashion. I could see how he was effective at questioning people with this methodology. You scrambled to figure out what he was really asking and wound up saying way too much.’
Huh, I think my parents were on to that technique too.

This really is the Cliff Notes version, isn’t it:
"We are immortal and we need blood to live."

Oho – we find out who the mystery vampire is! I have to say I enjoy the idea of Mike as a vampire. Although I don’t know that canon Mike was quite as witty as your version: ‘taking orders from some Milli Vanilli wannabe…’

I was surprised at the idea that Mike could simply continue to make appearances at home. But if his parents were singularly self-involved and unobservant… ‘…they hadn't even noticed I was different now.‘ Wow.

Creepy, from Victoria: “…did you bring me someone to eat?"

I enjoyed Michael’s internal monologue about the pluses and drawbacks of his new existence.
Renee Aubin chapter 7 . 2/15
‘"Why is your hair wet? And those aren't the same clothes you were wearing when you left." Sometime it sucked having a cop for a father. He never missed anything.’
Yeah, cops aren’t the only fathers that “never miss anything”.

Snicker:
‘“There have been a lot of strange things happening around here. Don't want you to go missing too." My father's tone didn't sound like he would care if Edward disappeared.’

Good point, Charlie:
“Your classmate was abducted from her house yesterday. Until I catch the sick bastard that's taking people, I don't want you anywhere alone."

Clever:
"Wow, Jake," my dad said. "What's in the water over at the reservation?"
Jacob smiled and shook his head. "Some pharmaceutical company must be dumping their waste water into the system."

Well-done variation on Jake’s unplanned phasing in front of Charlie and Bella. I liked that afterwards he’s "Just embarrassed, that's all.”

A sweet thought: ‘And this was a very nice way of keeping her with me when we couldn't physically be together.’

Very interesting: ‘When I expected a frenzied need for more [of Bella’s blood] to explode, a veil of calm settled over me.’

Smile: ‘Who knows how far it would have gone without [Charlie’s] interruption? Even I didn't know and I was unnervingly okay with that.’
I like that Edward himself is rattled by being “okay with that”.

Wow, Billy didn’t hesitate to spill about the other supernatural creatures, did he? Definitely more of a transgression than Jacob’s innocent sharing of the tribal “stories”.

Did not see THIS coming:
“They only hunt animals. And they don't even do that around me."
"Then they can be blamed for the awful hunting around here."
But around Forks, people would certainly notice that!

I enjoyed Charlie’s reaction to all these revelations:
‘"I'm going to get back in my squad car, drive back to the station, and wake up from this terrible dream. I've clearly been working way too hard," he said while he rubbed his temples.’

At least Charlie retains enough common sense to see that Bella will be safer with Edward and Alice around.
Renee Aubin chapter 6 . 2/9
It was fun seeing E&B flirting via text at school, like real teenagers. Especially ‘getting a little racier with each one’.

Pretty funny: ‘I nearly tripped over a stray back pack that was haphazardly abandoned in the aisle while I read the new message, but I caught myself before anyone noticed. Well, anyone except for Bella.’
The shoe is on the other foot!

Also a bit refreshing that she doesn’t allow him to steamroll her about the bruises left by Mike.

I snickered that Edward thought of Mike as ‘that little annoyance’.

Cute, re Alice:
‘Bella grabbed my hand with a death grip. "Edward, she scares me with all of these surprises."
"She's scaring me too," I whispered in Bella's ear. "And I've had a long time to get used to how she is."’

This made me laugh out loud: ‘The movie she picked was a romantic comedy, which seriously made me wish that I could fall asleep.’
A real guy.

That was a fun idea having Emmett serve as Bella’s waiter serving Esme’s dinner.

Oh good for Bella:
“What makes you think I'd be so keen on walking in the forest with you?"

And before the shower to wash off the mud:
‘Breathing heavily, I couldn't help but think aloud. "I never thought we'd see each other like this."’
Yeah, no kidding! And even though Charlie’s phone call interrupted me, that’s still pretty impressive progress.

Oh, good point that Edward will need to hide his eye color from his family after his “first aid” on Bella’s cut.

A bit scary:
‘"You smell like fresh blood. Leave before Jasper shows up," [Emmett] said with a hint of concern and warning in his voice.’
Renee Aubin chapter 5 . 2/3
Well this is a different twist on the family dynamic, following Bella’s birthday party:
Emmett ‘had one last thought for me. Jasper won't eat Bella. I won't let him.
Emmett was right about one thing. If anyone would taste Bella, it would be me. ... I was not willing to share.’

Interesting:
‘”I can't remember the last time I wasn't doing everything for myself or for Renee and Charlie." I stared at the steaming liquid in front of me while the enormity of what I had just admitted out loud hung in the air.’

A clever Alice moment:
‘She eyed my damp hair glumly. "Did he even get to appreciate your new hair style before you maimed it in the shower?"’

A believable reaction that we never got to see in canon:
‘I instinctively froze in place at the sound of [Jasper’s] voice, my heart pumping wildly in my chest. ... The air was thick with tension and the unknown.

Jasper…took a step further into the kitchen. Panic started to well up in my throat, but I pushed it down knowing that I was protected by Edward.’

Hmm, surprising scene with Mike Newton at the front door, and Bella rescued by Jacob of all people. It’s a little sad to know Jacob’s phasing is about to begin – his life will never be the same.

A missing person report on Mike? Definitely odd.
Renee Aubin chapter 4 . 1/26
Smile: ‘Charlie gruffly greeted him with a simple, "Edward." It may as well have been a grunt.’

Interesting: “…we're also going to meet Jasper at the Canadian border. There are a few things that we need to hash out before he returns home."
Like there’s some kind of test he has to pass?

Good one:
‘Esme said. "I went grocery shopping today just for you."
Edward laughed. "It looks like you shopped for someone Emmett's size."’

OMG, Charlie recruits Jacob to keep and eye on Bella during her day in PA with Alice and Esme.

Hmm, but Alice thinks there were other “things” following them too. Ominous.