Reviews for Haibane
magicdemi-god223 chapter 1 . 2/28/2014
Another wonderful story! Out of curiosity, I'd like to know why Fai's wings are black in color whereas Kuronagne's is white. Is it because of Fai's supposed deceitful nature? Or because of the great burden he carries in his heart?
sapphireswimming chapter 1 . 1/9/2013
I love how you were able to describe their blending into every world so plainly and eloquently in such a short amount of space. And then you really had the right image for each character. Sakura's wings look just like her memories did when they were first scattered, and there's so much missing that it hurts Syaoran. Whose grey wings are just as scholarly and unobtrusive as he is. Then Kurogane would definitely have red in his wings. And they would be hugely oversized. And he would be worried about how much they stood out. Aha. But then, oh, then, you have Fai trying to squirm and dance and back away and curve into himself so that he can hide the truth from everyone, so that they don't have to see. But they can. That was one of the most poignant moments. Because his entire life consists of his hiding everything from everyone. But he can't now. No matter how much he wants to keep it hidden, it's out there for everyone to see.

Gah. I've probably read this one like five times. Tonight. XD

Sapphireswimming
TheEndofTag chapter 1 . 11/3/2012
WOW! I am kinda shocked by Fai's wings! And the last line desribing his wings just hurt me so. D: My favorite line: "Flashy and obtrusive, and between the size and weight and bright color he might as well wear a fucking flag on his head; stealth is going to be impossible with these things." hahahahaha. Damn hilarious! just love Kurogane more for tha comment! :D
pseudo-quill chapter 1 . 12/23/2011
It's amazing how a fic this short can be so good! I would think that black wings would be really pretty, though Fai would probably take it as affirmation that he is evil and causes misfortune. Ouch at Fai being so exposed to everyone when he's always trying his hardest to hide himself away, his wings are so large that he couldn't possibly ever hide them.
tilDEATH101 chapter 1 . 9/30/2011
Very nice!Great how you made the wings like their souls. They really match. Fai's wings are ebony black, a jet color so pure they seem to glow;what an awesome description.
Faaia31 chapter 1 . 7/5/2011
I'm sad that you've decided not to go farther with this one. While I'll agree that wing fics can get obnoxious a lot, I think this one would have made a lot of sense. How you described the wings, especially Sakura's, defiantly supported an actual storyline.
Vampire-to-B chapter 1 . 3/5/2011
Aaaw Fai...I don't know if black wings are good or bad but he certainly seemed upset about them...(also poor Sakura...all withered...$
Aquen chapter 1 . 9/3/2010
Such a nice little one shot, and while I kind of would like to see the idea expanded at the same time I'm glad its not being expanded as this little piece was so nice. You captured each individual's true personality in their wings, it was all nicely done :)

Great job with this one shot!
Ms Bat chapter 1 . 8/26/2010
Ooh. Wow. This was good. It was short, but then, any longer and it would have ruined the fic. I enjoyed it extremely and the way you capture each character and their wings is really excellently done and with such an economical number of words. The other great thing too is that it doesn't have any pairing in particular, which works great here and which I find refreshing. This has to be one of the better short fics I've read in this community.
Stormgirl415 chapter 1 . 8/4/2010
Hm...this was an interesting fic. I like the ides of the souls being wings...Poor Sakura, having to see that. And I find it interesting what you did with Fai and Kurogane's wings-most others probably would have done Kuro's wings in black and Fai's in white, and I found it interesting that you chose the colors you did (and that includes Syaoran as well). Any particular reasons behind the color choices, or just a whim.

By the by, I also noticed that the syle with which you wrote this was different from your norm. Why did you choose present tense for this particular fic? (I know it seems weird for me to ask, but I just notice and get curious about weird little things like that).
lemon-and-chai2B chapter 1 . 8/3/2010
Oh, wow, that is an awesome concept. Poor Fai, he can't hide in this world, I think he would be very frightened.
herongale chapter 1 . 8/3/2010
A really nice riff on the whole Haibane Renmei concept! Very short but to the point, and accurately assesses the sorts of wings each would have, were they to suddenly wake up in the town of Guri.
burgundy eyes chapter 1 . 8/3/2010
"When they move to a new world, they take on the characteristics of that world. It's not just an attempt to blend in; the laws of physics demand it."

Oh, that's very true!

"Sakura's feathers are a soft glowing white, etched with intricate patterns; but her wings are pitiful things, almost skeletal-looking, missing huge swaths of feathers. As she slowly, tentatively opens them behind her, the few handfuls of feathers that do cling to her wings only make the ragged empty patches look more terrible."

That part really translates Sakura's loss well.

"We'll get them back for you, Princess," Syaoran vows earnestly, clutching Sakura's hands. "Every one, I promise!"

Syaoran's vow here is really fitting. Sometimes I just find that he says it all the time, but this time the situation in which he says it is perfect.

"But you are silly, like a big pelican flapping its wings!"

Hahahaaa, funny comparison :D

"in this world, Fai's wings are ebony black, a jet color so pure that they seem to glow."

Nice choice of wings.

No matter how long or how short your fics are, they never lack anything - the necessary descriptions, the emotions, good characterization... - and they never fail to be different.

Ps: Care to explain the title?
Bottan chapter 1 . 8/3/2010
Hoh~, nice one. You surprised me with swapping the color scheme, here. At the first mention of Kurogane's wings being white I found myself wondering. As wings symbolize the soul and you specifying it as them wearing "their soul on the outside" it only makes sense, though. In that context, I also liked the notion of Kurogane having "the even odder sensation that he should have had them all along" - as though he really has no problems baring his thoughts and even his soul for the outer world to see. I really found that fitting. And Fai being distressed by the to him seemingly tainted color of his own wings. I loved how Kurogane would see the beauty and pureness in them.

Of course Sakura and Syaoran were lovely as well (I liked the notion of Sakura's wings being tattered), but you know how much I love the dynamics between Fai and Kurogane. x3
Uakari chapter 1 . 8/3/2010
I have to admit, when I read "wing fic" in my email box, I was a little skeptical, but this was really provoking :-D I really like the concept of wearing their souls on the outside, but I'm really interested to know why you chose black for Fai's wings. I like the idea of this being an illustration of the consuming nature of guilt, but having a pure black soul carries certain connotations that I've never really read in Fai's character. It brings up a whole mess of questions about who is judging these characters' souls - themselves or some outside force and what criteria they're using. Syaoran's wings are grey - but is that really a reflection of his worry, or is it because he only has half a soul?

Figured I'd ask what your interpretation was while I was busy overanalyzing ;)