Reviews for A Couple of Desperate Cases
weareallstories chapter 1 . 10/11/2011
I thought your characterisation was spot on and I especially loved the opening and closing lines of this story.
Sarah7293 chapter 1 . 4/25/2011
Wow. That about sums that up, I think. I could hear every silable and picture every movement - just ... really, really good.
Belphegor chapter 1 . 4/5/2011
I don't understand why there are not more reviews to this little unassuming, deceptively simple gem. Everyone is perfectly characterised, the voices are there (even those who technically qualify as cameos), and it's a delight to read after watching 3.08 again :o)

I love the little moment of complicity between Alex and Sam over smoking in pubs and Ray definitely being from a different decade :D I love that the atmosphere smoothly shifts from laughter to a more sombre mood, but that the underlying melancholy never really leaves. And I *love* that this is a coppers' pub, and dead coppers at that, and that they sing. Being ridiculously fond of mixing (writing) stories and songs (for mood, mainly) that really got me. Plus Super Mac's flippant suggestion of "The Man That Got Away", probably one of my very favourite songs :P

And oh boy, how I loved the characterisation in this one. Alex, smooth and tough and alive (yes, I know...) and lonely; Summers (only recognised him when his name came up, but really I should have caught on the craic and the eejits :o) cynical, amusedly fond of this little world and the people in it; Ray ("Whiskey In The Jar"... took me two seconds' thinking, but *ouch*...), loud-mouthed, lewd and about as careful and subtle as a bull in a china shop, doing a rather bad job (at least to Martin's shrewd eyes) of hiding a heart somewhere in there...

This is going right into my favourites AND my personal A2A canon :o] Thanks for writing it!
Solo Lady chapter 1 . 8/22/2010
I was totally unprepared for this story and how moved I was by it. The image of Railway Arms as a haven where even Mac and Summers are welcome was wonderfully thought out and described. I was surprised by the narrator, though it made perfect sense. Irish tenor. :) Everyone still true to form. Liked the idea of Ray's attraction to Alex. But Alex herself. Settling in, yet still lonely for one person. I was in tears over "I Live Not Where I Love" and even the thought of Alex and Molly listening to "Fields of Gold." Just a beautiful story.
Elliewelly1 chapter 1 . 8/16/2010
"Ah, Gene Hunt, you got me in the door of this place. Don't think I'm not grateful.

But then, like the bastard you are, you brought her here as well, and shattered it all to pieces." - wow, that brought a tear to my eye.

This is amazing. I've never read a summers POV. It's amazing:D
sash queen of the jungle chapter 1 . 8/12/2010
Thanks for this orginal story.
Ms Orton chapter 1 . 8/6/2010
This is truly a thing of beauty. I can't remember ever reading anything from Summers' POV and I think you nailed him completely character-wise. Just brilliant!
Siggy chapter 1 . 8/6/2010
Ach, I've read this story a couple of times now and each time I'm crying by the end of Alex's recital.

A really unusual story that gives us a little glimpse inside the Railway Arms and what it might hold. And while Gene wasn't present in person, I felt he was very much there in there in the memories of all - especially Alex of course.

I loved all of the little cameos from faces past and present but the crowning acheivement was having the story told by Martin Summers. A very exquisite sort of punishment for him which you neatly picked up on.

Glad I'm not the only one to pick up on Ray's possible attraction to Alex.

Very nicely done indeed.
theHuntgoeson chapter 1 . 8/5/2010
What a wonderful, unusual, moving and utterly beautiful story. You've taken a POV that nobody else has ever tried before and created something very exceptional. It's a shock to find Summers in the Railway Arms (to say nothing of Mac and Litton), but it fits well with the theme of forgiveness - I like Summers's acknowledgement that Gene got him into TRA - and also gives us a sense of relief that Keats didn't get them. (I guessed it was Summers, as soon as he used the word eejit!).You've got inside the mind of a character who was only ever proved a villain in A2A and showed us regret, acceptance, philosophy, understanding, and even kindness. His view of all the characters we know is laced with cynicism, understanding, detached, sardonic amusement (I love "They'll never ban smoking in pubs," ), and in the case of Alex, unspoken longing. All the titles of the songs the cops suggest are too sadly appropriate, but the description of Alex's rendition of "I Live Not Where I Love", and Summers coming to her rescue (just like Shaz saving Ray when they sing Danny Boy) is fit to break the heart. Her sad, lonely courage is so moving and written with such understanding. "It could have made a man's heart stop, but of course mine did stop, long ago." So moving. Damn, I can't type while I'm crying! Every word of this story is so, so perfect. Enough. I could go on all night and the next day and still not say everything. This is one of my favourite EVER A2A fics. If only it could be more than a one-shot, but you've already said everything. Except that we know that, when Gene comes through the door of the Railway Arms at last, Summers's dead heart will break, all over again.
Malena Hunt chapter 1 . 8/5/2010
Oh, this was so moving. It's very unexpected to have Summers as the narrator (I actually gasped when all was revealed!) but it worked very well. Alex broke my heart, though. She needs Gene so badly... *sniffle*

Please write more. We need more fic of this kind, with a truly original voice that kind of shakes things up and makes us see our beloved characters (and some not so beloved ones, LOL) in new and refreshing ways. And so well written, but that goes without saying.

I don't know the songs, so maybe I don't get some of the references, but fear not, I'm already on Google. ;)
Good Friday chapter 1 . 8/5/2010
What are you doing to me? I can't afford to be in tears when I'm supposed to be cooking dinner. This is a very touching story beautifully written, though I was a little surprised to find SuperMac and Martin Summers in the Railway Arms - but I suppose all is forgiven there.