Reviews for Vigil
Romanse chapter 1 . 12/19/2012
Boy was that a good h/c plot!
Holmes' devotion and care for Watson pushed all my kink buttons beautifully.
The added backstory for Watson was told most excellently.

My chief complaint is that unfortunately, it's too short and does not take this reader as far as she would like to go in terms of the journey of Watson's recovery.

It's not the mark of a good author to lay out an excellent story, and then cut things off or take short cuts. Why? Because the reader has fully vested themselves in your story. The otherwise meticulous writing that gradually breaks off and fast forwards only makes the reader fustrated with all of the empty places where there should be story.
shedoc chapter 1 . 8/15/2010
you are evil - i thought for a moment there that you'd killed him! i love that the yarders and his patients are all worried about him and doing what little they can to help him out... that is so sweet!

thanks for sharing!
Fiorella 2 chapter 1 . 8/10/2010
It was so touching that left me speechless! Congratulations!
Silverfox1 chapter 1 . 8/9/2010
Puh, That was a scare! Glad to find that Holmes was just misleading us.

Very early 1800's though? I think you mean 1900's.
tapd0g chapter 1 . 8/8/2010
Oh my goodness! That was a mean and dastardly low-down trick! I thought you'd bumped off the good doctor for a while there. That certainly was a tear-jerker particularly where it was thought they might be burying two men by the end of the week.

Just a brief medical point: I don't have any medical background other than the usual lay-knowledge but I think that the antibiotic used for enteric fever (typhoid) is chloramphenicol rather than penicillin. I think enteric cases may have been quarantined in a fever hospital as I think it was a reportable disease and at the time there was no treatment other than good nursing and barrier precautions and it could be transmitted person to person even by asymptomatic carriers. Mary Malone ('Typhoid Mary') was the most infamous carrier of the disease :)
Mam'zelleCombeferre chapter 1 . 8/8/2010
I didn't get to review on this the first time I read this, so first of all Congrats on winning the WW contest! :) Second of all, it was interesting to read a fic from you that was more centered on the people in Watson's life and not so much Watson himself. And lastly, you had me so worried for Watson the whole time, from the first line to the very last part you had me so worried that Watson had died. Well done on keeping the tension up. Hope to see more from you soon.
Go Outside chapter 1 . 8/8/2010
Excellent story, I can see why you won that well deserved first place. Thanks for posting.
Ebony.L chapter 1 . 8/8/2010
I was holding my breath the whole time I read this. Wonderfully intense and well put. I love the different voices and the little details. You certainly deserved to win!
reflekshun chapter 1 . 8/7/2010
You were right, it is a tear-jerker. But it was a very good tear-jerker. Thank you for sharing.
Silverdragonstar chapter 1 . 8/7/2010
Wow I can see how you won and congratulations by the way.
Ammanalien chapter 1 . 8/7/2010
"he rested his head back on the pillow, his eyes filling with tears. "I can still hear them, sir, sometimes I think I always shall.""

And my eyes were tearful too after reading this line. Such a good story with excellent choice of dialogue - Thank you!
bemj11 chapter 1 . 8/7/2010
Beautiful! Another wonderful piece of work, there, and it certainly was a bit of a tear jerker.
Elerrina Star chapter 1 . 8/7/2010
Bravo! *cheers while wiping eyes with (several) tissues*

Absolutley amazing. 'Tis no wonder that you won the challenge! (Congrats on that, btw!)

The letter from Lestrade about the men all volunteering to look after Watson with or without permission or pay was so... Yeah, I don't even know how to describe how warm-and-fuzzyish that made me feel. And the nightmare... *shudders* Poor Watson!

The ending was my very favorite part, however, with Holmes reflecting on how all of the evil that Watson has seen only makes him stronger. Absolutely perfect, really.

This is -so- going in my favorites!
Isis the Sphinx chapter 1 . 8/7/2010
Wow. Beautifully written, wonderfully poignant. (Oh, look, a big word!*snerk*)

Nicely done. And you found a way to tell the story without going into Watson's POV. Much liked. I really do love your writing. Looking forward to more.

Keep writing!
IrregularHonour chapter 1 . 8/7/2010
It was touching to read of the different means of support Watson's comrades were prepared to give in his hour of need. Overall- quite an enjoyable read! :D