Reviews for Avarice
J.M.C 2 chapter 1 . 3/3/2014
I still think Loghain had had a hand in planning the massacre at highever.
Calm as Crackling Fire chapter 1 . 1/15/2011
I have not played Fable 3 yet but I remember in reading a review about it how the player or reviewer was forced to choose between building an orphanage or selling their organs to fund for the war against the shadows or whatever. The elves of the alienage are still citizens of their country, since he did not think of selling human orphans to the- I suppose he was choosing between lesser evils. I suppose he saw no other options for raising money and he did not want to tax the humans who had land. The humans being the most important Ferelden citizens. I suppose I can slightly sympathize with him, with Loghain because he saw no other ways to raise money that would benefit him. He had to make hard decisions.
Jade Sabre chapter 1 . 9/13/2010
DAMMIT LOGHAIN

/sobs forever

seriously, though, this was the perfect direction to take this prompt, and I love how you delicately stated the situation between Howe and Loghain while still almost preserving the teyrn's dignity. AND ANORA, I LOVE DADDY/DAUGHTER INTERACTIONS.

A lovely little fic. :-)
Windchime68 chapter 1 . 8/19/2010
This was very well done, and very plausible. I like how Loghain weighs it up pragmatically, and then simply makes the decision. The interaction with Anora was lovely, and contrasts nicely with the interaction with Howe.
JessicaJones chapter 1 . 8/10/2010
I love Anora in this (not surprisingly...) "I am hardly a well bred lady" is particularly awesome.
DarkroseTiger chapter 1 . 8/9/2010
I liked the way you showed the financial problems by having Anora sell her jewelry. I also liked underscoring that Loghain, like his daughter and son-in-law, have no clue when it comes to how the least of their citizens live, and aren't really all that curious.

The one thing that didn't work for me, though, was this:

"Most elves with any interest in bettering themselves had left long ago to pursue a life among humans or among the Dalish."

Loghain may not know what things are really like for the elves, but I've got to think he would know that pursuing a life among humans is not an option. The City Elf codex describes what happens when an elven family tries to move out of the Alienage and live among humans: they get their house burned down, and if they're lucky, they're not in it at the time.

If the intent is that he does know that, but is trying to salve his conscience by blaming the victim, that wasn't entirely clear to me.
Decantate chapter 1 . 8/9/2010
Oh very clever indeed. It really felt like I went into Loghain's mind, where he despises himself just a little but makes decisions for the benefit of everybody. Well done!
Prisoner 24601 chapter 1 . 8/9/2010
Oh I very much like the idea of this fic and how you've tied it into the sin. It makes so much sense that Ferelden would be nearly broke considering how much fighting is going on. A really interesting (and quite realistic) way to explain why Loghain makes the most morally questionable decision in the game. Lovely work.
reconnoiterer chapter 1 . 8/9/2010
Loved this! You've captured both of their angles superbly. Howe and his sidle up to the throne by offering the treasury at Highever - it's not like he took it for the money anyway... Loghain and his veneer of practicality that allows him so much self-justification. Even Anora and how she is very much her father's daughter - especially in that she doesn't just passively sit back. Excellent story!
Nightsfury chapter 1 . 8/9/2010
This is good. I've always found Loghain to be one of the more interesting characters in DA. He's so dedicated to his country, committed to what he believes is the right thing, yet, at the same time, can be so morally ambiguous about how to achieve it. You show that quite nicely.
Sagacious Rage chapter 1 . 8/8/2010
I like the concept of Howe slowly ratcheting these horrible things up, and cloaking it in patriotism. At the Landsmeet, I got the impression that Loghain truly regretted selling the elves, but couldn't see an alternative at the time.

The reality of economics is something that doesn't seem to factor into a lot of the fics I've read. Just because you plunk a crown on somebody's head doesn't mean they're instantly wealthy. And from everything shown and told about Ferelden I get the impression that it is a resource-rich but capital-poor country. Which is why Anora's trade knowledge is so vitally important.

Loghain fics bring all my pretentious ideas to the yard LOL
Arsinoe de Blassenville chapter 1 . 8/8/2010
What an intriguing depiction of the rationalization that leads to one of the more heinous things done in canon! You do a great job of setting out the reasons that the men might have have for such a radical step, and also the prejudice against elves, and the incomprehension of their situation.
Sarah1281 chapter 1 . 8/7/2010
Wow, it's so strange to see Howe being...helpful but I suppose that if he weren't Loghain wouldn't have kept him around so long given all the problems association with him caused. Reading this was heartbreaking. He didn't want to but he felt it was necessary and while that doesn't excuse him it just makes the whole situation a lot more tragic.
Piceron chapter 1 . 8/7/2010
Nicely done. I enjoyed the interaction between Loghain and Anora and Loghain resisting Howe's attempts to "pretty up" the whole scheme.
Snafu1000 chapter 1 . 8/7/2010
Excellent character study of Loghain. He's definitely one of the most complex villains Bioware has created, and you have captured those complexities nicely.