Reviews for His and Her Circumstances
Dan chapter 3 . 11/16/2014
loved it.
Merkitten chapter 3 . 10/12/2014
bless your soul, what a great AU. beautiful.
A Silverstorm of Snowflakes chapter 3 . 9/20/2014
I love this fan fiction. The last chapter was the best.
Kaoupa chapter 3 . 5/8/2014
Very interesting! It would be curious to see what could happen if Zuko came to this conclusion earlier...
CrazyAce'n'PokerFace chapter 3 . 3/14/2014
fantastic au! the heartstone thing was very cute, and iroh's reaction was just the best. :D
Lita of Jupiter chapter 3 . 3/25/2013
loved this, especially the throwaway mention of acupuncture and Mai's interest therein. I really did enjoy this AU and I liked the ending with them still being they adorable dorky selves in addition to how Mai doesn't want to eat Earth Kingdom food and so has lost weight
12D3 Gorillaz chapter 3 . 3/5/2013
Sadness abounds, the story is over at chapter 3. It almost doesn't even seem like an end, the last lines scream to be continued! I guess I'll just have to take what I've got though, and enjoy whats written.

Seriously though, its just ASKING for you to write more on this... please?
ForeverRainingFire chapter 3 . 2/19/2013
Awesome story! I really enjoyed it!
Guest chapter 3 . 2/13/2013
Lol... Really good! :D
hell-whim chapter 3 . 2/5/2013
This was really sweet in all the right ways. I loved your little glimpses of colonial politics and life, and the subtle ways the world changed with Zuko's "death".

Overall a very fun read, with just enough detailed to keep satisfied!
artephile chapter 1 . 7/6/2012
I just reviewed this story on AO3, but I thought I'd come here and do it again to help bump up your numbers, plus add your fic to my favourites. Thanks for the brilliant story!
Kenkaya chapter 3 . 3/18/2012
I love the AU world you've created here.

Your characterization of Mai and Zuko is great, especially Mai. It's hard to find a story featuring her so IC. I really like the moment between her and Zuko where he tells her that roses are no longer roses without their thorns. Mai's reaction as an apathetic, anti-romance teen suddenly realizing that she's in a romantic moment with the boy she likes was the highlight of the fic for me. Of course, Qiang had to barge in and ruin it, but I think the fleetingness of the moment is part of what made it work so well. Mai's subsequent turnabout decision to runaway with him was done very well too:

"Why not? All the cool kids are doing it."

That is a canon-Mai line through and through. It also reminds me a bit of her moment in the 2nd Boiling Rock episode without feeling like a straight parallel. Very nice touch. But I've gone on and on about Mai, and there were plenty of other things I liked about this fic. Zuko's early change of heart and rouge/vigilante lifestyle were very convincingly done. The scene in the tea shop where he talks to Mai about disguising his scar and fabricating a different distracting quality was a nice way to show how much he's emersed himself in this lifestyle. I also like the little tidbits you add, like the casual mentions of Iroh's search and Qiang's awkward attempts to woo a disinterested Mai while making cracks about the White Lotus. They really help give your AU depth. In all honesty, I only have one mild critique to make (if you can even call it that). I really want to see more from this AU. Maybe a continuation, sequel, or even a few follow-up oneshots? This AU is so full of potential that it seems like it kind of ends suddenly. We get resolution between Mai, Zuko, and Iroh... but there are a couple things you mention that seem ripe for more exploration. Probably the biggest one is Zuko's firebending. We know he was starting to have problems in the past and the way you wrote his fever dream, it seems like he was able to feel the former strength of his firebending again. Yet he doesn't use it at all in the present. You wrote:

"In two and a half years, he's almost grown use to the dark coal stewing in his stomach where his firebending chi once churned."

The line uses great imagery but it brings up the question: he lost his firebending? I would have liked to see this plot point addressed more since the way it is now, it comes off as more of a loose thread. You also make references to Sozin's Comet and start the first chapter with the lines:

"(Five months before the end of Avatar Aang's hibernation.)

(A different world...)"

That alone screams future plot potential for this fic. How will the changes in Zuko and Mai's stories alter the canon storyline? Would they run into Aang and get involved in the war? Would Zuko still find a way to be his teacher? I guess you can take it as good sign that your AU inspires me to wonder about how the future in it would work out. It was a great fic, and even if you don't ever return to this AU, I still enjoyed it very much.
Beloved Daughter chapter 3 . 3/9/2012
Heheh! Iroh's tea party/music night... Ah, you made me laugh so hard. Thanks for writing and sharing.
Ganheim chapter 1 . 2/3/2012
alongside a reputation for miscegenation…partly to blame for the dearth of indigenous firebenders

[Wait, wouldn’t that be true even if there was no mixing of the populations? I don’t recall if the series was extremely consistent about the rate of firebenders (or others) per non-benders within their population]

and the tiles firmly affixed.

[Actually, I think they’d be at least as strong/shoddy as in the Fire Nation. Earthbenders may have lived there, but when you can re-shingle a house by stamping your foot, what’s to give the incentive to get off your duff and do it before it starts falling apart?]

Oh!" bursts Qiang

[Missing opening quote marks]

Others state that the mask is a mantle of vengeance, passed from ghost to ghost, so that the unquiet dead of the Earth Kingdom can find peace by settling their scores against us."

"So he's some criminal with a stupid mask."

"Eh. Pretty much. But I like the wilder stories better

[Points 1]

The dim hallway is devoid of people. Suspicions undeterred, she heads left

[Although I’ve heard plenty of literature professors decry using negatives to describe scenes, I think you do so very effectively]

Surely colonial governors worked through the night on the pressing issues of crop rotation, census taking, and tax collection

[Points 1]

[Shouldn’t that be ‘fascinating]

as he topples forwar

[forward]

Chapter 3

He least he knows that when he takes his mask off it's off

[“False tears are capable of hurting others. False smiles are capable of hurting oneself”]

Interesting character work, the only problem was that I felt that things left off mid-stride. The end doesn't really feel like it's been wrapped up. I know there's (generally) supposed to be a loose thread or two at the end of a good story, but this seems to be more of those than neatly tied up.
Crazy Dyslexic Nerd chapter 3 . 10/28/2011
I think I will be extra scared if Mai now. Love this story!

-Dyslexic Nerd