Reviews for Disney's Severely Neglected Princes
guest chapter 1 . 4/30/2013
Prince charming name is charming. The prince name is fredinand
TheNextOfKin chapter 1 . 3/29/2013
This was so funny (and true)! Also, considering that Prince Adam is the Crown Prince of France, doesn't it seem odd that Maurice and Belle (as well-read as she is) would be surprised to learn that there was a castle only a short (day or so) journey from the village? And that in one of the villages closest to the castle practically nobody knew about the castle or that their Crown Prince was a beast (much less the beast they were hell-bent on hunting).

Also, according to the opening narration*, when he was cursed, he was "young," "spoiled, selfish, and unkind." He was cursed because he turned away "an old beggar woman" with a "haggard appearance" who was really a "beautiful enchantress" (read: sneaky witch) who had tricked him. Also, others were punished for his faults, for the enchantress also "placed a powerful spell on the castle and all who lived there." Now, as stated, Prince Adam was young when he was cursed. How young? Well, according to the ripped portrait of him in the West Wing, probably in his late-teens. However, the song "Be Our Guest"** implies that they've been cursed for 10 years - "Ah, those good old days when we were useful... / Suddenly those good old days are gone / Ten years we've been rusting...". Since the film takes place shortly before Prince Adam turns 21 (which we know because "enchanted rose" that "would bloom until his 21st year" is wilting), the Prince must have been 11 when he was cursed. Now, that's a bit of a harsh punishment for a child! Especially for the "crime" of not letting a sketchy stranger into his home...

Plus, way to give the kid low self-esteem/confidence, depression issues, and a guilt-complex! "Ashamed of his monstrous form, the beast concealed himself inside his castle, with a magic mirror as his only window to the outside world. ... As the years passed, he fell into despair and lost all hope. For who could ever learn to love a beast?"

* - "Once upon a time, in a faraway land, a young prince lived in a shining castle. Although he had everything his heart desired, the prince was spoiled, selfish, and unkind. But then, one winter's night, an old beggar woman came to the castle and offered him a single rose in return for shelter from the bitter cold. Repulsed by her haggard appearance, the prince sneered at the gift and turned the old woman away. But she warned him not to be deceived by appearances, for beauty is found within. And when he dismissed her again, the old woman's ugliness melted away to reveal a beautiful enchantress. The prince tried to apologize, but it was too late, for she had seen that there was no love in his heart. And as punishment, she transformed him into a hideous beast and placed a powerful spell on the castle and all who lived there. Ashamed of his monstrous form, the beast concealed himself inside his castle, with a magic mirror as his only window to the outside world. The rose she had offered was truly an enchanted rose, which would bloom until his 21st year. If he could learn to love another, and earn her love in return by the time the last petal fell, then the spell would be broken. If not, he would be doomed to remain a beast for all time. As the years passed, he fell into despair and lost all hope. For who could ever learn to love a beast?"

** -
Lumiere: Ma chere Mademoiselle, it is with deepest pride
and greatest pleasure that we welcome you tonight.
And now we invite you to relax, let us pull up a
chair as the dining room proudly presents -
your dinner!
Be our guest! Be our guest!
Put our service to the test
Tie your napkin 'round your neck, cherie
And we'll provide the rest
Soup du jour
Hot hors d'oeuvres
Why, we only live to serve
Try the grey stuff
Chip:
It's delicious
Lumiere:
Don't believe me? Ask the dishes
They can sing, they can dance
After all, Miss, this is France
And a dinner here is never second best
Go on, unfold your menu
Take a glance and then you'll
Be our guest
Oui, our guest
Lumiere and Chorus:
Beef ragout
Cheese souffle
Pie and pudding "en flambe"
Lumiere:
We'll prepare and serve with flair
A culinary cabaret!
You're alone
And you're scared
But the banquet's all prepared
No one's gloomy or complaining
While the flatware's entertaining
We tell jokes! I do tricks
With my fellow candlesticks
Chorus:
And it's all in perfect taste
That you can bet
Come on and lift your glass
You've won your own free pass
To be out guest
If you're stressed
It's fine dining we suggest
Chorus:
Be our guest! Be our guest! Be our guest!
Get your worries off your chest
Let us say for your entree
We've an array; may we suggest:
Try the bread! Try the soup!
When the croutons loop de loop
It's a treat for any dinner
Don't belive me? Ask the china
Singing pork! Dancing veal!
What an entertaining meal!
How could anyone be gloomy and depressed?
We'll make you shout "encore!"
And send us out for more
So, be our guest!
Mrs Potts:
It's a guest! It's a guest!
Sakes alive, well I'll be blessed!
Wine's been poured and thank the Lord
I've had the napkins freshly pressed
With dessert, she'll want tea
And my dear that's fine with me
While the cups do their soft-shoein'
I'll be bubbling, I'll be brewing
I'll get warm, piping hot
Heaven's sakes! Is that a spot?
Clean it up! We want the company impressed
We've got a lot to do!
Is it one lump or two?
For you, our guest!
She's our guest!
Be our guest! Be our guest! Be our guest!
Life is so unnerving
For a servant who's not serving
He's not whole without a soul to wait upon
Ah, those good old days when we were useful...
Suddenly those good old days are gone
Ten years we've been rusting
Needing so much more than dusting
Needing exercise, a chance to use our skills!
Most days we just lay around the castle
Flabby, fat and lazy
You walked in and oops-a-daisy!
Chorus:
Be our guest! Be our guest!
Our command is your request
It's been years since we've had anybody here
And we're obsessed
With your meal, with your ease
Yes, indeed, we aim to please
While the candlelight's still glowing
Let us help you, We'll keep going
Course by course, one by one
'Til you shout, "Enough! I'm done!"
Then we'll sing you off to sleep as you digest
Tonight you'll prop your feet up
But for now, let's eat up
Please, be our guest!
Bonkers4Reid chapter 1 . 8/22/2012
I really enjoyed reading this! You should watch Once Upon a Time on ABC... great show with almost every single one of these characters featured.
katzsoa chapter 1 . 12/18/2011
Haha, this is fun! I agree, the princes don't get enough development, acknowledgement, or screentime... Then again, these stories are based on fairy tales, and to the best of my knowledge the original tales don't give the princes names, and no one gets a ton of backstory in fairy tales.
swanpride chapter 1 . 10/9/2011
1. This is not the right place to post essays.

2. Do your research. There is a simple reason why the early princes where such a one note: disney had trouble to animate them properly. For both were additional scenes planed, which had to cut out later on. Hercules and Phoebus both have a female counterparts. Plus there are a bunch of other male characters who are not princes, but starring in their own movie. Peter Pan from, well, Peter Pan, Jim Hawkins from Treasure Planet, Robin Hood (who might be a Fox, but so is maid marian, and she is very popular), just to mention the one on top pf my mind.
CampionSayn chapter 1 . 12/8/2010
Sa!

OMG, this was a good essay. You made some very keen points and despite it not being an actual story it does leave one thinking about things that nobody else seems to point out. Loved it!
Random Reader chapter 1 . 10/5/2010
I totally agree with everything you said about the forgotten princes! However, when you said of Hercules and Phoebus, "these two don't really count, they have no official counterpart," I think you're forgetting about Meg and Esmeralda. Although they aren't princesses, they are still important characters, especially Meg, who is challenged by a major moral dilemma and sacrifices herself to save Hercules. Plus, don't forget about Mulan, the other Disney "princess." She's not even really a princess, nor is General Shang a prince, but she saves China. That's good enough for me. lol. And arguably, Tarzan is sort of the "king of the jungle," so would Jane be considered Disney royalty? Sorry...I'm just rambling now. I love Disney discussions. Your argument for the princes is very interesting and thought-provoking. Good stuff! :)
singingintherain9328 chapter 1 . 8/22/2010
Dude, I like, totally agree! The princes hardly get any love (or character). But apparently the Prince was suppose to have more scenes/character but animating him was too hard. So was Prince Charming, but I guess in the editing process the animators decided not to go with that. Thankfully as time has gone by, story editors are giving characters other than the princess more of a back story/character.
ZodiacSnake chapter 1 . 8/15/2010
HERE HERE!

I agree!
DisneyPrincess chapter 1 . 8/14/2010
I agree, princes get, like, NO love! And yeah, I like Adam better as the Beast's name than Vincent; Vincent makes me think of late horror film actor Vincent Price, whom I highly admire. Still, to me the name Vincent doesn't really suit the tawny-haired blue-eyed prince who stole Belle's heart.
CurlyFirefly chapter 1 . 8/11/2010
Preach it, sister! lol. but you seriously do have a point. They should be given more back story and, let's face it, personality.
Enihpled Amira chapter 1 . 8/11/2010
u r right always 'disney princesses'never princes

half of them isn't even a princess and half of all the Disney princeses isn't a part of the group