Reviews for Tristan and Inara
BigT1587 chapter 1 . 3/27/2011
You were right. It would have played out a lot better on screen. But you did an admirable job with it nonetheless. Your other reviewer did a good job summing up what I wanted to say,so I will just say that I ,it was a bit girly for my taste,but still a fine job.
Jadzia Bear chapter 1 . 8/23/2010
Firstly, I love the idea of animals/nature in the ship, so love the beetle infestation. I also love the infected/infested correction (I have a fic in mind where Simon corrects Kaylee's 'poisonous' to 'venomous').

Also, I like the way you have River commenting on the smell of the bed, referencing that capture from the BDM.

I love the way that Simon is savouring his tea, because no doubt Inara's green tea leaves are of a much higher quality than whatever is standard fare in the galley, and more like what he'd be used to (and miss) from home.

I love that River's the witch, and that she puts on the accent! Nice callback to Shindig.

'Simon was trying to point out these were common motifs in folklore but no-one was really listening' - haha!

Bittersweet ending though. Thanks for a shiny story : )
Ella Greggs chapter 1 . 8/22/2010
Delightful fic - so clever that you've given each of the crew a role in the story, and even found a Firefly analogy for the evil Morolde in Atherton Wing. Mal's reaction to the introduction of the jealous Iseult's character is terrific - you don't even mention her name but we know he's equating her to Saffron ("In fact, she probably had to trick him into marrying her").

I really like how your story plays out against the backdrop of Inara having told Mal (but no one else) that she's leaving the ship. The reader knows Mal's gruff and contrary reaction to the 'sometimes love is not enough' story is fueled in part by his bitterness over her impeding departure. Mal saying all stories end unhappily if you stay with them long enough and declaring he doesn't want his mood lifted sounds exactly like lines his character might have said on the show.

I also love how you've written nice moments for the others, particularly Jayne. References to his protective interaction with Vera, and how disturbing Mal finds them, are very funny. And it's interesting to see the gruff merc get so eagerly caught up in the fate of his alter-ego King Mark, suggesting that Jayne's not completely happy with Vera being the main 'woman' in his life. Also a wonderful detail, Jayne not knowing what 'spurned' means and Simon having to explain it. Kaylee was also portrayed very sweetly, and I could easily picture her waive to Inara's shuttle, her delight at 'story time' commencing, and how upset she was by the sad ending. And you capture a beautiful moment between Wash and Zoe (the only two actual lovers on the ship) when he wipes his tears on her neck and she kisses his hair. So endearing!

Favorite lines that made me smile:

- "Infested," Mal corrected, before Simon could do so, and taking a callous pleasure in it.

- "Smells like ambiguity"

- "Sit down, Mal, you're making the place look untidy"

- "If her name's Vera this story ends right here"

- "Not really lifting the mood, sir"
RionaEire chapter 1 . 8/17/2010
Interesting story, hard to believe but I've never actually sat down and heard the story of Tristan and Isolde, so this was a welcome telling of it. I like how you effortlessly give the reader pictures of the Firefly charactors playing the roles in the story, shows that do that with classic stories are always interesting/entertaining because you see your familiar charactors playing new parts but still they seem to work. Sad indeed, I like how you had Jayne being the logical one and Kaylee being sentimental, it isn't inaccurate to see Kaylee as a gullable romantic. Interesting that Simon thought River might not know the rest of the story and thus discouraged its telling, I figure all genius protogies have read this story at one point or another since it is a classic, but given new life in its retelling. And ew, that fumigation is a perfect reason for them to all be in Inara's shuttle, any kind of animal infestation would drive me to distraction and I'd want it fixed ASAP

Riona
zenniel chapter 1 . 8/13/2010
Wonderful story. I loved how all of the characters contributed to it. Write another like this sometime?
Malinara chapter 1 . 8/13/2010
I like how you matched the firefly characters with the other story's characters. It's like Mal and Inara are in love and sad cause they can't be together. Nicely done!
Bytemite chapter 1 . 8/12/2010
I really like this. :) Just the kind of story Inara might know, something both classy and classic, and tragically romantic.

Mal has the right of it, though, about Romeo and Juliet.