Reviews for A Guide to Not Making Your Tribute Suck
XxBlurred-TearsxX chapter 1 . 6/8/2011
I read this and when I checked back to the story I submitted to, I noticed one of my "Allies" is a FREAKING NARUTO CHARACTER D:

Oh My FRAKING GOD!

I think I took your bullet when it came to being stuck with a Sue.
BeautifullyTragicElphie chapter 3 . 6/6/2011
I loved this! It really helps! I know most people think your being mean but honestly your only telling the facts! I loved how you had the "Rant" about finnegan's name. That was hilarious. I am going to be truthful here, I have actually done at least 1/4 of the things that make your your tribute suck. But it's not like the main one's. For instance, I don't make my charater look like he/she just came out of a freak show! That is really annoying! And not all of my characters have tramatic pasts. I do my tributes a little differently. You see I base my tribute(s) on a real person in my life and add a little more to them. Like, none of my friends can even kill a person without crying! Whimps! But anyways, I really do love your rants! Keeping ranting!

~Lovergirlmellark2326
A reader chapter 3 . 6/5/2011
I read your guide. I want to know if my character is suckish. Please let me know in a post for this story. Here is the character.

Name: Bunny Marhla

Age: 15

Gender: Female

Appearance: Tall, reddish-brown hair that goes to just above her ears in a pixie cut, dull blue eyes because she is blind, and tanned skin.

Personality: She is quiet and strong. She will help people when they need it but refuses to let others walk all over her. Intelligence is one of her best attributes.

Background/History / their life before the reaping: She lived with her father and older brother and younger brother. Her mom died when she was five giving birth to her brother. She was blinded when she was ten after a set of chemicals was splashed in her eyes. Since then she has learned to live by relying on her enhanced hearing and sense of smell. She hunts and gathers to get food. She put her family above herself. Everyone who got to know her better loved her.

Token: The necklace her father made her mother when they were married.

Friends/Family/boyfriends girlfriends: She could make friends with almost anyone if she wanted to. Family is in her background.

Reap or Volunteer: She volunteered to be a tribute after a twelve year old with a crippled leg was chosen.

Career? Hunting and gathering.

Romance: (I won't do too many of these it's the hunger games after all)

You could if you want to. She would originally resist if someone tried to pull her into a relationship but eventually fall in love.

Allies: Anyone who doesn't consider her a liability. She wouldn't have too many though because she believes that the more people you get close to the more likely it is you will get hurt.

Skills: Bunny has enhanced hearing and smell because of her blindness. She can work well with a bow or a sword. She can anticipate what move others will make which got her the nickname of "Mind-Reader".

Weaknesses: She's blind.

Weapon of choice: Bow and arrow or sword.

Likes/Dislikes: She likes her family and helping others. She dislikes when people underestimate her and bully her.

Interview angle: Sweet, smart and confident.

Games strategy: Try your best and fight until the end.

Chariot ride costume suggestion: (I want to have a go at them) Doesn't matter to me, you may choose.

Interview costume suggestions: Same

Reaping outfit: (if you want) Same

Other: I don't mind if you kill her off. I also want to turn over sponsorship deals and all the other formalities to you. I just want to give you a challenge to work with. I think she should come from a poorer district. I would prefer 12 but I don't really care. I want to see what you can do with Bunny.
A reader chapter 3 . 6/5/2011

Name: Bunny Marhla

Age: 15

Gender: Female

Token: The necklace her father made her mother when they were married.

Career? Hunting and gathering.

Romance: (I won't do too many of these it's the hunger games after all)

Weaknesses: She's blind.

Weapon of choice: Bow and arrow or sword.

Interview angle: Sweet, smart and confident.

Games strategy: Try your best and fight until the end.

Interview costume suggestions: Same

Reaping outfit: (if you want) Same

Guest chapter 2 . 6/5/2011
I need to tell you, I have three friends who have pale skin, black hair and blue eyes.
Waffling Time chapter 1 . 6/3/2011
Hey, I thought you seemed like you deserved a flame after you asked so nicely, even though I actually think it's hilarious.

But my characters can't DIE! They're the amazing-est things EVER, how could I make them bloodbaths, like, ever?

YOU SUCK, I HOPE YOUR TRIBUTES BURN IN HELL WITH THEIR FAULTS AND THEIR UGLINESS!

Like the flame? :D
FullOfHunger chapter 1 . 6/2/2011
Awesome, and very funny, despite you saying it wouldnt be. And very helpful, too.

And one thing to add: there are tributes from other districts that are exactly like Katniss, whos "father was killed by peacekeepers" and a "girly but brave younger sister she volunteers for". I know this because Ive been submitted one.

Also for tributes tokens, beware Katniss-copy-cats, like 'pin with a humming bird on it" or "a bird mounted to a ring and used as an earring".

To all carbon-copy-katniss tributes: we see through you!

Anyway, good guide.

You should continue it!

Dont stop beleving! Or writing!

~gemma
Giratina chapter 3 . 5/9/2011
Very good guide as a collective. Admittedly, I'm a newbie to the whole Hunger Games scene, but even I can see that a lot of the Tributes being put up are... concerning, to say the least. (I live forever in fear of Rei Mitsuki Tanaka.) However, I do have some minor nitpicks I'd like to point out.

Firstly, your point about the Districts. It's legitimate overall, but I don't think that the example you gave was very good. After all, as Katniss said herself in the first Hunger Games, the kids from Twelve HAVE no training down in the mines. They start at eighteen. Even though eighteen-year-olds are eligible for the Games (and likely have the most entries), they're still very much rookies, and everyone else pretty much needs a different thing to do in Twelve out of necessity.

Also, the position of Gamemaker as narrator. You have NO IDEA how much I want to make Eldritch my narrator in Cirque de la Pain. But there's just one problem: the Gamemakers, uerr, make the game. So realistically they would know what is happening in the game. And they would also know what's happening in the future. Trying to write the entire story from the position of any Gamemaker would more likely than not be monumentally awkward, because you want them to seem like they know what's going on... without telling the readers what's going to happen at the final five and whatnot. Plus, an indifferent Gamemaker as narrator would sap a lot of the drama of the good moments.

Third, the names. 'No real names'? Let's see here... Finnick. Caesar. Johanna. Brutus. Cecilia. Gale (real name, yes). There are no shortage of names we have found in history or modern society. Not everyone has normal names, but not everyone has the thinly-disguised tech names of District Three or the job corruption names of District Twelve, either.
ZebraZoink chapter 3 . 5/3/2011
Nice! You've helped me round my tribute submitting skills, and I thank you for that. I'd just like to point out that a lot of tribute's are named after nature because they're like that in the book. (Rue, Katniss, Thresh, Primrose, etc.) But many are related to their personalities (Cato, Peeta, etc.)
EvieRain chapter 1 . 5/1/2011
I loved this. Guess what two other things that annoy me are?

PEOPLE FROM A CAREER DISTRICT THAT AREN'T CAREERS/DON'T WANT TO BE ALLIES WITH CAREERS. If they are from a career district, they volunteer. Simple as that. Because if they were reaped, someone else would volunteer for them.

And there are all these "careers" who, under alliances, put "NOT CAREERS". If you don't want them to be allies with careers, don't put them in a career district.

Oh yeah, and basically the opposite of this problem: CAREERS WHO AREN'T FROM A CAREER DISTRICT AND WANT TO BE ALLIES WITH CAREERS. I've seen submissions that say: "She's one of the few careers outside of a career district." PEOPLE DIE. The only reason's you'd be a career is if you were from a career district. Okay?

And plus, I've seen SO MANY submissions of people from District 9 or whatever who want to be allies with careers. The careers will take one extra ally, max. And only if they're super-talented.

OH, ONE MORE THING. NOT EVERYONE CAN MAKE IT TO THE TOP THREE. In an average SYOT, not including bloodbaths, usually 3/4 of the tributes under preferred death put something like: "late games, around top five, if at all?" NOT EVERYONE CAN MAKE IT FAR. DEAL WITH IT. It especially annoys me when they aren't even careers, they're these weak twelve year olds who got a two in training and seem like they should be a bloodbath... and the author puts "late games, if at all" under preferred death.

Those were just a few things you didn't say much about. Oh, and once (I only saw this once, not a big thing) someone entered a tribute but didn't fill out the personality part of the form. Seriously?

Anyway, good points, good writing, I enjoyed it.
Harmlessly Weird chapter 3 . 4/28/2011
Wow. I was looking at the reviews for a different SYOT that I submitted the D1 girl to and found that someone had submitted her before me. Here is that person's:

Name:Shine Star

Nickname (Optional):

District:1

Age:16

Gender:Female

Appearance:Tall with a tan body and sea green eyes you can drown long golden blond hair that goes halfway down her back in body is slender with curves that causes men too stare.

Personality:She is like the ice queen she thinks shes the best out of will break a guys heart and hurt girls by ruining there her own family treats her like a queen.

Chosen/Volunteer (If volunteered, please explain why)?:Volunttered because her father incouraged her too

Opinion about the Hunger Games?:There great and she can get more attention then ever if shes in them.

Any romance/alliances?:Career

Strengths:Hand to Hand combat,most weapons,tree climbing

Weaknesses:Unknown plants,Hunger,curing injuries

When do you think is a realistic/reasonable time for them to die during the Games?:When way over half of the contestants are gone and the careers split up

Family/Friends:Rick Star a man with black hair and sea green eyes old hunger games victor (Father) Miranda Star women with blond hair and chocolate brown eyes (Mother) Twinkle Star 7 year old girl with whispy blond hair and sea green eyes (sister)

Background Information?:She grew up with her father training fall in love with her all the time and she has lots of friends.

Token?:Golden necklace with blue green red and white jewels.

Meanwhile, here is mine:

Name: Tonerra Tawney

Nickname: Error Message (computers always seem to freeze up around her and “error” sounds sort of like the end of her name)

District: 1

Age: Sixteen

Gender: Female

Appearance: Black hair, faint freckles across a strong nose, inquisitive green eyes, a tan, a delicate build, pianist’s fingers

Personality: Sarcastic and witty. Not exactly in a mean way. She’s quiet at school and in public but at home and stuff she’s chatty. She has a knack for twisting words into playful insults. She’s easy to anger. At home. In public she projects that shy-girl-with-little-to-say feel.

Chosen

Opinion about the Hunger Games?: Whatever. As long as they’re there I’m gonna win them.

Any romance/alliances?: Maybe. An alliance. No romance.

Strengths: Speed and dexterity. Her seamstress mother taught her basic sewing, so she can stitch a wound.

Weaknesses: Fear of heights and trees. She doesn’t like boys very much. Her constant swinging between quiet and sociable makes her unfavorable with sponsors, who feel like she’s trying to manipulate them.

She’d die in the middle, maybe around where Rue died.

Family/Friends:

Kena – Mom – District One’s seamstress, usually working.

Sphinx – Dad – boisterous and loud. More involved than Kena. Not that she wasn’t involved with her kids.

Garnet and Peridot – twin younger siblings. Normal sibling rivalry. They’re twelve. Tonerra is a little frightened they’ll get picked but they got accepted in Career training.

Background Information?: None. Nothing horribly tragic in life. She applied for Career training but wasn’t accepted because of her build.

Token?: Yes, a lace collar that her mother made that she says her stylist can sew onto the outfit in the Launch Room

Other: Her stylist’s name is Juno Moneta. But she goes by Mona.

All True!
LadyMahfuza chapter 3 . 4/24/2011
You are brilliant. -gives cookie-
Bloodbender Mackenzie chapter 3 . 4/24/2011
This has helped me a lot. I used to do a few things, like try to make my Tribute beautiful...but now I see I guess that pisses a lot of people off...so I think I'll change that now. I'm going to try and refer back to this as much as possibly with every tribute I make.
OhSoVeryLovely chapter 1 . 4/21/2011
Haha lol XD This was so true! Although i'm pretty sure i'm guilty of doing some of those things...
GrossGirl18 chapter 3 . 4/10/2011
I find this to be an epic win. Ans now I'm going to go on a rant about a character I created today, and then ask your opinion. Just because I can.

She's 13, with no chest or body form whatsoever. (She hasn't hit puberty.) She wears thick glasses, has thick, short, bob-with-bangs hair. The glasses have tape on the nose, and her eyes are also dark brown. Her mom IS dead, and her father IS somewhat of a morphling addict. She's from 6, and I decided that 6 is going to be the place where they make dyes and stuff. So she knows all about plants, she can paint/camouflage, and she happens to be very handy with a short knife and shears. She's manipulative and a deadly because she has something to fight for- her little brother, Mark, who she adores. Her strategy is to pretend to be your friend and then kill you off with some kind of poisonous plant. Her name is Lily because her mother loved the water lilies that grew in the pond nearby, which is how she learned to swim. She can climb trees because she sometimes had to in order to collect flowers for dying. She's fast, but not strong. Very smart and strategic, but the only weapons she has are her wits, the plants, and a short knife, because where the heck could you use a pair of shears in the Hunger Games?

So, Now i'm going to ask you your opinion, and expect you to answer me back. Amazing how much we reviewers expect from you, huh?
311 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 .. Last Next »