Reviews for Battle Scarred
nice and bittersweet
White Wyrsa chapter 6 . 4/30/2014
Wow! Bravo)
Jennie Chang chapter 6 . 8/16/2010
You know that when you tell me you've written something Harry Potter, I shall always be running to read it. In fact, once I'd read your email, I came straight here to see your brilliance shine.

Angst has always been your strongest genre, and frankly it shows up in this. You know my rantings about the Epilogue, mostly because we had the same grievances, and this satisfies part of that. You can't go through death and war and not come out somewhat scarred by it, so the story of losing pre-war character and desires is something more realistic, haunting and emotional. You definitely capture that in your story here and that's what I love about it. As much as it is nice that characters can be resiliant, this is more honest to truth and raw.

And now, the chapter/vignette-by-chapter/vignette review, because that's how I decided to read it...by reviewing after each one:

Hermione: Grades - In a canon note (because I am geekily compelled to act as a canon dictionary whilst reading and I cannot prevent myself from doing it), only Hermione ever returned to Hogwarts to complete her education. Harry and Ron did not go back to school. Eh, minor details in the great vast world of canon. I really think you've gotten Hermione in a nutshell there, and good references to the Deathly Hallows and I love the line about death being unbiased.

Ron: Invisibility - Irony at it's finest, I think. Or the whole careful what you wish for because it may come true. The fact that you added in the bit about missing the chance to say goodbye made an impact, the distraction of fame. For some reason I started hearing Lady Gaga's Paparazzi in my head, probably because there is love and hate for media in this...more hate than love, but yeah. I'm probably sounding weird now, so I'll stop there and just say bravo for capturing the duality of invisibility.

George: Laughter - Short, to the point, and powerful enough to convey the loss in five sentences. I really don't know how else to put that so I'll stop there and let it be what it is.

Luna: Belief - I saw the title and knew this would have to be interesting. Luna has always been one of your best portrayals, and seeing her in distress is different, definitely. She was at Malfoy Manor for a long time, wasn't she? I quite enjoyed the line about her being nearly adult and not knowing everything. It's a very daunting thing when you learn that the people you've seen as all-knowing really don't know everything and frightening as well. I can see where Luna's coming from...though I must admit that while this is believable for most people, I'm surprised you picked Luna to have this revelation. It's more ironic, but she is the most resiliant of people.

Draco: Pride - Malfoy, meet Lady MacBeth...well, that's what I think of anyway. Jo Rowling has always said Draco was a little boy playing in a man's game, and this shows that to the tee. He really isn't a terrible character. He's a bully, not a murderer and this is something I could see him struggling with in the post-war. Bravo.

Harry: Motion - Gah, I will always have problems with Harry and Ginny as a couple, but I guess that's for me to get over. I think you are absolutely spot on that Harry likely would have made peace with ending his life to save wizardkind and thus a very stopped life following. He was supposed to die, and while he has a second chance, it's a very reflective thing. I think you got it right there...and yay on Ron for comparing life to a Potions essay, make it up as you go. Ron's metaphor for the win.

And at the end of the day, this is all wonderful stuff. I think Harry's story is a nice ending to the vignettes, but of course I would not object to more!