Reviews for The Roughest Part of Life
LaylanatorXVII chapter 1 . 4/28/2015
It always irritates me how back then men were kept out of the room when babies were born. My view is, it's half his fault we're in this mess, he has to endure the grossness for himself. Yeah, my dad described childbirth in GRAPHIC DETAIL once, and man...if that isn't an incentive to practice abstinence (at least till you get married), I don't know what is... *shudders*
Yeah, but seriously, the men thing... When I give birth someday, I want my husband to be there so I can hurl abuse at him, and I want my dad (although I might force him to wear a blindfold) so he can glare at my husband when I cannot. *cackles* That, and my dad is my rock and I don't think I could get through such a traumatizing experience without him...
This was great, and funny... And I really liked the name Ruffnut picked. Cool.
Thanks for writing. :-)
Sincerely,
LaylanatorXVII
mordreek chapter 1 . 2/21/2015
And so Fishlegs learned the same valuable lesson that Hiccup learned: You impregnate a viking woman at your risk.
Frostbite Brandson chapter 1 . 4/20/2013
I like it
CupcakeGoodness101 chapter 1 . 12/28/2011
Awwwww Love it! _
LoPe21 chapter 1 . 12/1/2011
Oh god I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

This has been my favorite chapter in the 'seasons' series.
Romance and Musicals chapter 1 . 8/28/2011
This was so good. Poor Fishlegs had to go through so much abuse and worrying. At least it was worth it in the end. The ending was very sweet. On a side note, the fact that Toothless babysits Hiccup's kid is the cutest freaking thing I've ever imagined.
Irako of the Desert chapter 1 . 8/27/2011
Dear god, if I didn't already know that Ruff didn't die, I would have been freaking out. This was just the thing to bust me out of the spiral of depression I put myself in from the last review. Thank you so much.
Storylover Vodhr- Dux Ducis chapter 1 . 1/30/2011
Beautiful. 10/10
Sunbitten chapter 1 . 10/10/2010
I realized I never made it to reviewing this one when I read it weeks ago and was just thinking about it! *blush*

I liked this a lot. A little hurried, but there was a lot of stuff to cram into a short story. I was on bedrest... Four months of my pregnancy. Not fun at all. Then again, I had exercises I could do and apparently no one told Ruff, poor dear. Still, I had to laugh at her frustrations! It sucks, but if it keeps things from moving and the baby IN then it must be done! Her Fishlegs abuse was hilarious.

His thoughts, though, are what made this. The overwhelming fear, his feelings for Ruff, just awww!

Awesome ending. I'm so glad Ruff made it and there was a happy ending for everyone. Darling name, Frostbite.
UndiscoveredTalentHere chapter 1 . 9/19/2010
hey. good tale you have going there. one thing, though. have you ever read my story? the one with hiccup's son? its called like father, like son. and it made me smile beacuse your description of hiccup's son seemed delightfully close to mine. ha, i guess we both captured what his son would be like. weird :D. anyways, i know this may sound weird but i am writing a story right now that is a prequal to my other one...surprisingly like this one. haha. great minds think alike.

P.s. I liked Hiccup in this story...hes too damn adorable.
keep-me-posted chapter 1 . 8/23/2010
I canNOT imagine what that must be like. Like, of course, I don't even know what it feels like to have a baby, lol; but to have one in THOSE times. *Shudders* I can understand where Ruffnut's pain is coming from. So, I can't say I blame her for acting the way she does throughout the story. But it is, after all, Ruffnut. So, how she was acting must have been 10 times worse than any other woman with child, haha.

Anyways, this story was great. So amazingly written. I don't normally read pregnancy stories, but I'm glad I happened across this one. The ending was totally aww, especially the last line. And I love their daughter's name; Frostbite. :D
Calico chapter 1 . 8/17/2010
This was so beautifully written and incredibly evocative.

Mostly it just made me feel a whole lot of sympathy, both for the girl having her life and body turned inside out and the boy who loves her and can't do anything to fix it.

I loved the sweet moments where he tried to do something special for her - the leaf and taking her outside - in spite of basically being treated like a pariah in his own home. And his ever-present quest to find out if it was all worth it (Hiccup, Astrid, and baby were so cute!).

The final moments were nail-bitingly stressful. It certainly could have gone either way, but I'm glad it all ended well. The whole story just proved how valid Ruff's fears were and why they should definitely not try again.

Birth control was not unheard of even this long ago (especially since it was such a danger to women to give birth), so I think they should definitely be looking into them!

All in all, I can see this as easily stemming from the "Season" stories, and I'd like to see more one-shots from this vast universe you've created; there is just so much material to work with (but only if you want, of course!)
Gumdrop Boo - Ch4rms chapter 1 . 8/16/2010
Just me, do you have an account or any way to contact you so we can have dialogues about this because in all my stories you leave really long, educational, concerned reviews that I just am TORTURED I cannot reply to and I don't want to clutter up the review boards with back n' forth chat or leave super long author notes addressing you each chapter.

So this is the only time I am going to do this:

The answer your question it is a) She risks it and you will see a connection between this story Ruff and Summer Ruff in a very theme appropriate Autumn series :)

It was meant to show an unhealthy birth as Ruff went through a two day labor aprx and then was having complications anyway based off the Duchess's mothers transcribed notations on skinny girls and ye olde birthings. She came out barely alive and has to take awhile to heal but she's not maimed as bad as the article you posted suggests. She will recover with time.

BTW thank you for all your reviews, I've even applied some of your info at times or replaced info based on them. I.e "Sandstone dice" in Fishleg's 'Winter Haul' chapter I changed to 'Bone" as you informed me :)

No sequels slated for this yet but I've been writing drabbles for fun on my own computer dealing with different future scenarios based off this story line that I may someday post.
just me chapter 1 . 8/16/2010
"...Not a part of my seasonal series although it could be ahead in the future along that storyline, perhaps viewed a companion one-shot to the seasonal compilations..."

Yo, after re-reading Summer Fervor I just realized that this fic's versions of Fishlegs and Ruffnut could still seem totally in-character as that fic's versions of Fishlegs and Ruffnut, all depending on how they change and grow during the Autumn series. :D

The "Summer Fervor" version of Ruffnut was adamantly against guys wooing her because she was determined to not give birth and risk dying in childbirth (therefore she would have known that P-I-V sex risks conception, right?).

Either the "Roughest Part of Life" version of Ruffnut (a) *did* agree to have P-I-V sex with Fishlegs and risk dying in childbirth, or (b) she agreed to P-I-V sex because she didn't know or care if it would risk conception (out of character for the "Summer Fervor" version of Ruffnut, right?), or (c) she agreed to P-I-V sex because she took a healthy childbirth for granted (seems way out of character for the "Summer Fervor" version of Ruffnut!) or (d) she didn't really agree to it and got tricked or bothered or forced into it (which would make Fishlegs like those jerks IRL who ask (in threads about rape) how close they can get to rape without getting in trouble because "how else can someone like me have sex?", and make *him* not an older version of that cool version of Fishlegs in "Summer Fervor").

So, how to go from Ruffnut refusing P-I-V sex to wanting it and ready to face the risks? It would be realistic if she gradually changed her mind over the years about pregnancy and she and Fishlegs, well before having P-I-V sex, had a heart-to-heart or two about the risks. I've heard of some pregnant women and girls IRL surviving childbirth but with severe injuries instead of healthy childbirth (see . /2/hi/in_ after changing the . to . , and remember that the surgery those women got wasn't available centuries ago). Imagine how touching it could be if (after the local midwife tells the couple about obstetric fistula) Fishlegs honestly tells Ruffnut that he loves her so much he'd stay with her even if she did get that injury and the incontinence that comes with it...

"...After seeing the copious amounts of blood he was resolved that he would be the last person she would see if Hel thought fit to collect her.

"He pushed his way through the door. There was even more blood and he almost lost his stomach at the sight.

"How much longer of this? He furiously wondered as he ended up pacing in the front room, constantly forced to listen to her screams and shouts. Finally—finally—it was into the evening when another's screams joined in on Ruff's..."

During a healthy childbirth, the bloody stuff comes out *after* the baby - it's mostly the 9 months of periods the mother missed during the pregnancy all coming out now that her body isn't using that uterine lining for a fetus anymore, and the blood in the placenta. If blood comes out *before* the baby, that means something that *wasn't supposed to* tear and bleed *did* tear and bleed. So you've made this story EVEN MORE REALISTIC here! Duchess Delanie's professional-midwife mother said Ruffnut would likely have more difficulties than average during childbirth, and here you make that happen...

"...It was all so worth it."

Any plans to write a sequel for this one? :)

It would be so sweet if Ruffnut and Fishlegs would still think it (Ruffnut enduring months of bed rest, Fishlegs being yelled at, Ruffnut suffering so much pain in labor and needing to wear diapers afterwards, Fishlegs having to shout down rude neighbors who call him henpecked for staying with a wife who needs diapers, etc.) was all worth it because they're so happy with Frostbite... :D
TheKyriiKid chapter 1 . 8/15/2010
Your story has inspired me...I'LL WRITE A RUFFLEGS

BEBE ADVENTURE TOO!...If i,m not lazy.