Reviews for It's My Life
missgsmith51 chapter 14 . 9/5/2015
Thank Merlin for Voldemort's penchant for pontificating. If he didn't love the sound of his own voice so much, Harry might not have survived the ordeal. If you stop to think about it, most of Harry's escapes in the books were due to Voldemort rambling on and on to his captive audiences and insulting Harry rather than getting down to the nitty gritty. (The Battle of the DoM, when he possessed Harry, was probably the exception.) His endless gloating and bragging often provided Harry with an opportunity to escape. Apparently, though, he never bothered to "review the game tapes," because he pretty much did the same thing every time.
missgsmith51 chapter 12 . 9/5/2015
I wonder what disturbs her the most - the fact that the U.S. is so far advanced and pro-active when it comes to dealing with threats? The fact that all the DMLE sees to do is REact? Or the fact that Harry was thrown into so many murderous situations in the short time he was at Hogwarts? I agree that the whole report was disturbing, but I'd be more concerned about Harry than the other things.
missgsmith51 chapter 9 . 9/5/2015
"What scandal would you like to reveal today? Is it true that your family somehow bred with the toad people of Transylvannia?"

"So tell me, what about the rumors that you're sharing an illicit love nest with the Minister? Is that how you reached your exalted position?"

ROTFL! Rita has probably lost any opportunity to do future interviews with the Minister or Umbridge after asking those questions, but she certainly showed she has chutzpah by the barrel full.

It's good that DumDum and Fudge's little scheme has been exposed, but now Harry's safety has been seriously compromised. He'll probably wind up having to rescue Wizarding Britain in order to save his own neck, considering how lame they seem to be.
Simianpower chapter 11 . 8/31/2015
In canon, it makes sense that Voldemort became obsessed with Harry, because time after time after time Harry stopped him. It became a self-fulfilling prophecy, because to get anything accomplished he basically had to go through Harry. But in this story it makes no sense. Sure, Harry was annoying for a couple of years, but then he bowed out, said flat-out "I'm not involved, nor will I be, you Brits are on your own", and in that time Voldemort got himself a new body without any opposition. It makes sense to just do his own thing rather than expending his few resources five thousand miles away. You're writing Voldemort as a mustache-twirling, cackling parody of a villain. Not that he's written as sane in canon, but in this case he's outright stupid.

It also doesn't make a great deal of sense that Hermione would still be "missing" Harry a year and a half after he left. They were good friends for a year and a half or so... and that's it. He's been gone for as long as she knew him, and at that age kids get over friends who leave pretty quickly. I can see them as pen-pals, mainly because Hermione likes writing, but I can't really see either as really missing the other by this point. They didn't have time to develop the deep relationship they had by fourth or fifth year in canon.

All in all this is a good story, but it should have ended with Harry becoming a U.S. citizen and saying "I'm out". There's no reason to continue it, except for wanting to have more vaguely canon events happen, but it's stumbling by this point. Harry's a weaker character because he was never driven to learn the Patronus, or how to overcome the Imperius, or to compete in the (now missing) Triwiz, but it doesn't matter because others will handle things and nobody but a moron would try to fight a two-front war.

I am stopping reading here because of the above. I have no reason to continue, even if the author felt compelled to do so. I rate the story a 6 out of 10. It would have been 7 or 8 had it ended with a short epilogue after chapter 8, and I wanted to stop before the rating dropped any further.
GoodshipHarmony chapter 15 . 8/29/2015
I liked this story very much. Unique twists and turns that were well written. You did a great job!Thank you for taking the time to write and share!
PersonWithFeathers chapter 13 . 8/25/2015
F*CKING PLOT TWIST! I was not expecting that...AT ALL! I've been just staring at the screen, trying to wrap my head around it. I surprised myself with the pure hatred I suddenly felt for Miguel...I had a bad feeling when I saw the chapter title and now I know why. Oh man, that messed me up. And I've read this before so I don't know why I'm so shocked...Damn...
Markus Ramikin chapter 15 . 8/21/2015
Not bad.

Some weaker points:
1. the unceasing 'murica is better' theme, which got tiresome once you extended it from merely schooling to, well, everything,
2. the implausibility of the scene in which Harry, unarmed and unaided, overcomes and disarms Lucius Malfoy, then escapes a room full of Death Eaters trying to kill him.
Kat A. Coop chapter 15 . 8/21/2015
This was really good!
Selande chapter 15 . 8/6/2015
Loved this story! Excellent writing!
stars90 chapter 15 . 8/5/2015
Brilliant work! I loved how you developed this story, with the characters basically true to themselves and in intelligent, well-made plot.
Guest chapter 15 . 8/3/2015
Wonderful story, loved it 3
Lynxgoddess chapter 15 . 7/29/2015
awesome!
Rakaan chapter 15 . 7/21/2015
As much fun as it is to read stories with Harry going solo, kicking ass and taking names, I do enjoy reading the ones with competent characters and logical choices. This was a delight to read!
pfanna chapter 12 . 7/17/2015
The tour report was good - a bit like Batman or Bond gadgets. The implanted transmitter thing - I'm pretty sure some government did that with cats during WWII. No, really. Cat transmitters. And bomb dogs - not bomb SNIFFING dogs. Bomb dogs.

Anyway, 872 creativity points for this chapter.
pfanna chapter 8 . 7/17/2015
Of course the rest of the chapter was so exciting that I almost forgot, but the research of animagus as a mental health/mind magic coping mechanism is great. Yes, I know it's all made up, but what affect would it have on diseases that don't affect one or the other? I admit that usually in stories that have animagus...es? animagi? that I only care about what they become and the reasoning the writer used to support the form. Now I have to look for more in-depth animagus stories :P
1,931 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 .. Last Next »