Reviews for Community Service
sarakay chapter 15 . 8/24
i really really liked the little epilogue! This is one of my favourite stories, you capture each character's voice so well and it was so funny as well as beautiful and heartwarming. So i was only too happy that you had added a little flash into their future for us, much appreciated!
Harry and George chapter 15 . 5/14
Your story was so amazing that I just couldn't stop reading and ended up reading the whole 15 chapters in one sitting. I am so happy that you decided to write this - I just love your characterisation, the original idea (with enough lines from the show to tie it in nicely) and most of all the relationship between Rory and Jess which is not always perfect but so perfectly written - I just love your witty banter and the bonding over books which was always so central to Rory's original character and was one of the things I loved most about her. Thank you so much for writing this wonderful story!
LeSass chapter 15 . 2/10
I really loved this. You managed to put a super original spin on things, pace the story out in-line with that of the actual series, reasonably destroy Rogan, and make Jess even more endearing. I love that you kept the badass but added the vulnerability. The more I go through your fics, the sadder I am you’re not coming back to this fandom.
Serenity'sVision chapter 15 . 2/2
I love this kind of fics, none of their heartache and drama but all the good Lit we know and love!
emiliagilmore chapter 1 . 1/7
I loved the chapter; I was smiling the entire time at the banter and tension.
JediGirlAcrossTheStars21 chapter 15 . 12/23/2017
I really love how you characterized Jess in this story and enjoyed his interactions with Lorelai and Richard. If there's one thing I'm bitter about the show is that Jess never officially met Richard and I feel like they would get along with their love of literature. Also wish there were more positive interactions with Jess and Lorelai on the OG series. Finally I love how you had their first time with them amongst books cause I wouldn't have it any other way.
mizskitles220 chapter 15 . 12/9/2017
This was seriously one of my favorite stories. I read it before and I just read it again for the first time in years and I fell in love with it all over again. I’m glad you added the epilogue it was a wonderful surprise.

Mizskitles :)
sonckad chapter 15 . 12/8/2017
How cool to see an epilogue to this, it was one of my favourite fics of yours back in the day. And Don certainly deserves a special place :D
WhomCares chapter 15 . 12/7/2017
Ahh! I love it! I'm really glad you came back to do an epilogue! I admire how you can just come back to a story and give it a perfect ending.
fayevalcntine chapter 14 . 9/13/2017
I'm sorry I wasn't able to review yesterday (or the day(s) before that), but I finally sat down and am gonna do it now. I'm just gonna put in all the things I loved under bullet points since it's way easier for me to do so:
• OK first off, I LOVE you having Rory grow attached to a garbage picker of all things, and naming it too. I can really see her do that in her own way and it's not out of character for her at all to grow attached to inanimate objects, or fight other people for them (ex.1, yale tree). I ADORED her and Jess's first meeting, and her immediately noting on how he's attractive and noticing his preferred book from his back pocket. The bickering was immensely enjoyable for a first meeting between them, and I especially loved Jess's reference to her crime and him figuring out just by a guess that she's in here because of something she stole. It's just something that feels so like Jess, and Rory's thrown lines at him were even funnier.
• I do love how he decided to give Don back to her and try to start off better, and also them fighting about the books they're currently reading through their first meeting.
• Rory trying to get the fellow community workers to put more backbone into their work was so hilarious to me, and of course seemed so greatly in character for her. I loved how you inserted her reading Jess's notes in the margins on a Hemingway novel no less, and how it got her to become so interested in a book she'd usually pass on. I feel you on the Logan/Rory stuff, again, it's completely understandable, but the scenes between them were still in a way pivotal, considering how she was in a relationship with the guy at the time.
• Jess's lack of enthusiasm to talk about how he got the black eye was again, very well done and in character. I'm gonna note on the complete backstory on that whole occurrence later on when it's mentioned in the fic, but I do love how you presented it as a scene and how it was later on answered as to how he got it in the first place.
• The next chapter which included the late night drive was one of my absolute favorites, I just loved the dialogue, the friendly bickering and spark between them, Jess being all "I'm an ass" as if that's a secret. I also love all the jokes and general humor you have in this fic, but I especially love this chapter because it's the first where an actual good connection is established between them, and despite them meeting now at 21 instead of at 17, the dialogue seems just like it was written for them when they were teenagers. I also love them just continuing to debate on books/movies/music throughout this. It was far from OOC and in fact it's one of my favorite parts primarily BECAUSE it just feels so well in-character for them, it feels like you've taken Jess and Rory exactly as they are together from the show and inserted them into a new setting which makes it all the more original and refreshing.
• As stated above, I find the idea of Rory trying to motivate community service workers of all things straight up hilarious. That's why the next chapter is just so funny. Along with Rory bribing Jess in a way to clean up faster with her so they'd be done in time.
I loved the conversation they both had on each other's backgrounds, specifically Rory and Yale and why it didn't work out, and Jess being here instead of New York. I also love how you further went into Rory's mindset on the whole ordeal of her dropping out and constantly hearing other people's opinions on her decision.
• Jess and Rory going out shopping for music is unsurprisingly, another favorite trope of mine. I loved the part where they exchanged the regular sarcastic lines before they went into the record store, it just shows them in their usual form and the dialogue is amazing as always. I also loved the coffee scene where Rory is reminded of Luke's and her home. It really means a lot how you placed small moments like this where Rory has grown homesick and misses her mother, and this becomes obvious to Jess as well.
Jess meeting Lorelai for the first time like that was one of the most amazing things to have happened in this fic. The whole scene was just so incredibly placed and written, and I loved how you placed Lorelai's emotions so obvious in the fic, even from Jess's perspective. Also him figuring out how this is obviously Rory's mother.
• I absolutely loved the filler chapter where Rory falls down from her heels while running. I just loved the whole intimacy of the situation, of Jess finding her, helping her go to his appartment, actually carrying her in his arms (swoon!). And then helping her in taking care of the wound and the usual irreplaceable banter between them. For a filler chapter, it was another one of my absolute favorite moments, and of course was very important in further establishing Rory's developing attraction towards him. I also find it important how you placed Logan becoming a bit irritated at Jess's growing role in Rory's life in these chapters, because again, it indicates just how much her relationship with Jess is becoming more important now. And I dislike Logan in general, so it's a win-win for both.
• The scene where Rory comes to check up on Jess is intense in so many ways, but also incredibly needed, from both sides. I love how you placed Jess calling out Rory on becoming so fearful of what she did, of rethinking her choices regarding Yale and settling for becoming part of her grandmother's world rather than the one she wanted for herself, and at the same time I also love how Rory just tells him that she cares about him and thinks he can do better than what he's doing right now. Their relationship was always an important one in the series primarily because they saw the potential in each other in a way that no one else really did. I also love how you placed Rory's fight with Logan right after this confrontation went down, almost exactly in the same way that it happened in 6x08.
• Jess coming to the Gilmore house to wait for Rory just for the sake of talking to her was so extremely cute. I just loved how honest the apology scene between them was, there was no forced anger or judgement between them, and it was exactly like I had hoped a reconciliation between them would be. I also loved how Jess decided to finally tell her how he got so beaten up, and I loved how you also inserted the swan bit from the series to elevate the scene from concern and intense emotions to comedy, especially for Rory.
The part where the revelation comes that Jess is related to Luke is so freaking hilarious, I love it when fics utilize the whole almost-cousins bit as an awkward moment because they're far from cousins material in any version of this universe.
I also loved Rory again fooling Jess into coming to her birthday party by putting on a pity act. It was so cute and funny, I just love the humor that you've inserted when writing them because it feels so in character and right for them.
• There are so many things when it comes to the birthday chapter, I just love the whole thing and I don't think it's possible I can capture my love for it in simple words that I know. Practically everything about it is perfect, Jess meeting Lane and Dave (! for which btw, I am eternally grateful to you for inserting him here instead of Zach), Rory's breakup with Logan, Jess meeting Richard and how their whole interaction goes, right down to Richard actually giving him books and recommendations before Emily bursts into the scene (this whole scene had me in literal tears, I loved the whole thing), to Lorelai and Rory FINALLY reconciling with each other, to Luke and Jess finally meeting! Literally, I love EVERYTHING about this chapter, it's emotional, funny, hysterical at times, and just all-round unforgettable.
• I loved how you just did the whole scene with Jess and Rory doing their finally community service hours and saying goodbye to each other, and how this got Rory so over-emotional considering her feelings for him. I just loved the feeling of desperation she had before the whole ordeal finally ended because she knew it was likely going to be the last time she saw him in a while, and just how you described it alltogether. Just an all-round amazing scene and chapters.
• Placing the whole "Rory skips class and goes to New York" storyline into this story was not only a genius move, but also incredible as to how you fit it in. I loved the whole subplot with Paris pissing off a group that lives downstairs of their own building btw, and her answering Rory's phone for her and talking to Jess was just another highlight for me. Back to the New York storyline, I just adored everything about it, especially how they go to a bookstore this time too and how much Rory is dying to take in some from Jess only because it includes his margin notes. Definitely a wise move on how you placed both finally acting up on their mutual attraction in this specific chapter.
• Rory panicking and suddenly taking off right before Jess tells her he loves her is such a Rory thing to do for me. I know it might seem like stalling the end a bit but it felt exactly right for me to suddenly become afraid of her revealed feelings for Jess, and it also alludes to her trying to deny that she had a thing for him in the original series. Just putting in so many pivotal moments and elements from their original season 2 storylines was such a smart move when handling this AU, and this in particular is just another significant one. I also loved her whole conversation with Lorelai and how again, is almost exactly the same as to when Rory shows up after her trip and keeps denying her own feelings.
• I loved Lorelai and Luke's small talk where Luke tells her he gave Jess Rory's adress, really great prelude to a great follow up.
• The second to final scene where Jess and Rory talk about their relationship was just amazing, and of course loved the insert of the famous "you looked it up" in this particular scene. I know it might feel cheesy but it was just right for me when it came to these two.
• I have nothing but praise and kind words for the FINAL final scene, I just loved every word from it, and the random but very important inclusion of Paris just bursting into Rory's room then taking off while not noticing anything. I also loved you just including them talking about the future and Jess coming to Stars Hollow to stay for the summer to be with Rory. The one thing I will note on is how I hope that your version of their meeting still includes him going to Philadelphia at least some time later on, maybe in Rory's last year, and her finishing her college studies the same time he publishes his first book. That would just be an amazing thing alltogether to see.
In terms of the epilogue you might write in some time though, I wouldn't put any rush on it. If it happens, it happens. But the fic is just as good as it is right now, at least for me.
Thank you for writing this AU, again, it's one of the most perfect AUs I could have ever hoped for when it comes to Jess and Rory.
fayevalcntine chapter 1 . 9/11/2017
I'm gonna start writing my long overdue review right now but first I want to try and send you a graphic that I made for this fic because it truly is one of my alltime favorites:
fayevalcntine * tumblr * com / post / 163181783599
You just have to replace the asterisks with dots and connect the whole text together without spaces.
WhoCares chapter 12 . 8/7/2017
Finally!
Sirhith chapter 14 . 7/25/2017
I had a lot of fun binging this in two days - it would've been one, but I had to force myself to go to sleep. It was a true delight and I'm still thinking about it, but I'm sad it's over now! I liked seeing Rory and Jess as early-twenties friends, here; we didn't get that on the show. You did a great job of setting up an AU that still allowed the characters to be true to themselves (I think that's a challenge for many writers). Thank you for sharing!
Sirhith chapter 12 . 7/25/2017
I like the delicate interweaving you've done with lines from the show. It's a little wink to the fans who notice them, but at the same time it's not just a retread of what we've already seen.
Sirhith chapter 7 . 7/25/2017
I know you mentioned not liking writing the Logan bits, but they're good! You do a good job of making Logan's presence feel intentional - even though it's Literati-focused, he still feels solid.