Reviews for The Refining Fire
becgate chapter 1 . 3/10
Awesome and amazing! ! Loved every word! !
Shara Raizel chapter 1 . 9/29/2013
oh man this was perfect! I loved reading Lestrade's stuff at the beginning and the way your wrote john and sherlock's interactions after they woke up was fantastic! I really enjoyed reading this. :)
Riya Morut chapter 1 . 4/9/2013
Bravo! I quite enjoyed this fic. Lestrade's viewpoint was interesting to see, and his care for Sherlock and John was touching. "Guarding" them and insisting that they have a room together was a nice touch.

Your characterization was much better than most stories I've seen on here. To me, Sherlock and John have always been a bromance, not a romance. (I also come from the perspective of the original Doyle stories; I read them long before I watched BBC's Sherlock, and it's hard to forget John "Three Continents" Watson, lady-killer extraordinaire!) They are very much brothers-in-arms, and watching their friendship develop with each case has been a great experience for me. Your alternate ending to "The Great Game" takes this friendship in a great direction.

The bit with the wristwatch is superb. I had never really thought about it, but of course Sherlock would have issues with basic questions! It was nice to see John get a little...well, snarky, I suppose (although that's not really the word I'm looking for). This part actually made me laugh out loud:

"What did happen was the nurse who owned the wrist watch fled the room in a fit of anger while the other one threw some collection of obscenities at John. 'Not brain damaged though, is he?' was all John said in response to that and his assailant stormed out without another word."

I should also mention that I loved the angst. I am a HUGE fan of beating up the heroes to their physical limits. Call me sadistic, but it makes for great stories!

John's observation that he and Sherlock are "bad for each other" is interesting, and I suppose it's even true if we're strictly talking about their tendencies to get each other into dangerous situations. But really, how could anyone give up a friendship like that? John answers it well: "What a stupid question."

I have a few minor bits of constructive criticism:

-Grammar. There were a few issues with verb tense, but otherwise very well done.

-Point-of-view shifts. A divider really would be helpful. While the shifts were obvious, some type of divider would cue the reader that a shift is taking place instead of letting him blunder through a sentence before realizing that something is different.

-The dialogue in the hospital. For John and Sherlock to be just waking up, they were awfully chipper. When I woke up after sedation it took me half a day to even form coherent sentences. Also, John and Sherlock would definitely be on painkillers, and those can make you incredibly sleepy or woozy, depending on what you're given. (Sadly I have a bit of personal experience in this matter. One night in the hospital led to doses of Vicodin, Valium, Demerol, and about 3 other painkillers, although I can't remember anything after the Demerol. Apparently I was very entertaining; after I was in my right mind again, my best friend laughed herself silly telling me how I hit on the doctor.) Every case is different, of course, but it might have been more believable to stretch out the conversations and make both characters a little groggy for a while.

All in all, this is very well-written, and I look forward to reading more from you!
Puggle chapter 1 . 3/27/2013
Really great piece. Thank you so much for sharing.
Nostalgic Beauty chapter 1 . 10/3/2012
This was a nice little insight into John and Sherlock's friendship. I was almost disappointed when nothing came out of the confrontation at the end of the Great Game. But the Irene Addler case was so brilliant that I I couldn't fault the script writers for the anticlimactic conclusion.
Dannie Tomlinson chapter 1 . 7/11/2012
Very well written. Absolutely loved this.
wargh chapter 1 . 5/29/2012
Oh, I love this! What a wonderful insight into their relationship, more brothers-in-arms than friends and closer even than that. Fantastic interaction, and I liked the other characters' points of view (and that scene with the wristwatch and Sherlock getitng flak for not knowing who the Prime Minister is made me laugh). *g*
Morrolan chapter 1 . 5/15/2012
Love this.
forgetmenotjimmy chapter 1 . 3/18/2012
Fantastic fic! Loved Lestrade's POV and the Sherlock/John interaction at the end, well-written, cleverly put together, nice one!

:D
Renhi chapter 1 . 2/13/2012
I am late to the review party by an year and a half but I must review. This was spectacular.

So, so gooooood.
rizandace chapter 1 . 10/14/2011
This was really beautiful. I have become OBSESSED with this show of late and when I went on this site to try and find some good fics about it, most of them are either romantic stories in which Sherlock and John fall in love, or else entirely out of character and shallow.

You managed to capture their characterization perfectly. You had the whole Sherlock-obviously-cares-a-lot-about-John-but-can't-say-it thing down pat. It makes us fans of the "bromance" very happy. I really liked when Sherlock said

"I'm not going without you. The last time you went somewhere without me you ended up with C4 strapped to you."

And also the ending, when John was talking about how bad they were for each other, but how they'd stick together, anyway. I feel like that's a perfect explanation for their relationship.

I'm writing a story right now that's not nearly as good as yours... But it's a similar vibe/intention - post The Great Game, and it's a Sherlock/John friend fic. It's not complete but I've got the rest of it pretty much written and I'm updating once a day. If you want to check it out, go to my profile. It's called "Understanding."

Thanks again for the awesome story, and so sorry for the novel-length review!
Azamiko chapter 1 . 10/8/2011
Nice to see them cheerful instead of guilty or depressed. _
Hawkslayer chapter 1 . 9/30/2011
I really love this story, it's brilliantly written and captures the bond between the characters perfectly. The only tiny little error is at the beginning when you have written that Lestrade has his gun out-police officers in Britain do not carry firearms. Other than that, this story is nearly perfect. Good job! :)
Peregrinate chapter 1 . 8/20/2011
D'awww. A stupid question indeed.
twinchaosblade chapter 1 . 1/26/2011
What an excellent friendship piece! I loved your characterisations to bits and your writing style was marvellous.