Reviews for By the Book
Mjolnir'sRevenge chapter 3 . 6/22
What a beautiful piece! So much character is packed in her. Irma charmed me from beginning to end.
Miranda White chapter 1 . 5/20/2013
Lovely story, very cute, beautiful and funny. :) Minerva and Irma is a very interesting pairing.
I also love your MMSS stories :)
fan-rei chapter 3 . 5/6/2013
i generally don't like Irma pince but this way make me empathise with her greatly.
there were lot of beautiful and funny lines but they would take too much place to put down here.
i would have loved to read the book with the first guidelines.
Califaction chapter 3 . 2/17/2012
This is such a cute story! I love how nervous Pince is, and your portrayal of McGonagall smiling with relief and taking every inch Pince accidentally gives her, and how you manage to get across the juxtaposition of how grown-up and yet how uncertain the both of them are. Adorable femmeslash with our favorite Potter ladies. :) Thank you for writing and posting!
JUJUChick16 chapter 3 . 1/29/2011
I really enjoyed reading this you did phenomenally. But does it really have to be complete? Either way I never thought I would care for this pairing but you wrote them amazingly so it wasn't that hard to see it! GREAT JOB!
kerplank chapter 3 . 1/20/2011
Oh goodness. How lovely! I have never even thought of this pairing, but you have given life to Madame Pince that is lacking from the books. Good job!
FanFicLove101 chapter 3 . 1/13/2011
This was beautiful and I loved it, like truly loved it! It had me howling with laughter in some places, really good writing!
Mr-Spock1 chapter 3 . 10/25/2010
Hi!

I read this story in a row and I absolutely love it!

This was such a delightful read and a wonderful story.

I never cared much about Irma nor thought about her at all - you changed that. I really like her very much the way you described her.

Thanks for sharing that story!

Love, Mr. Spock
Chemistress chapter 3 . 9/15/2010
The climax of this chapter in regard to your design and style is the oh, so wonderful:

"Thank Merlin I'm a Ravenclaw!

Look at it rationally."

It's such an effect: all the long and winding sentences before and then 5 and 4 word statements! And so funny! It gets me everytime *LOL*!

And the most beautiful imo: "She felt a sudden rush of tenderness and without stopping to think, she did what she had done hundreds of times during exactly the kind of erotic fantasies her Guidelines advised against..." *melts into a puddle*
Chemistress chapter 2 . 9/8/2010
All your splendid characterizations at the sideline, not really necessary for the plot, are just too good to go unacknowledged:

/"What on earth made you stop? It sounds perfect!" "The idea that he would love the adornment, that's what."/ - *ROFL*

/She was clearly frightfully embarrassed, trying to cover up for something or someone. For Potter and Weasley, I thought at first, but they are both perfectly all right. Perhaps she wanted to make it, simply to see – to prove – that she could. I can understand that", Min had said. You could, indeed, Irma had thought. I bet you were exactly that kind of student yourself./

/Perhaps the final Guideline should simply be don't rock the boat. Be happy with what you have. The view from halfway up the hill is splendid; sit back and enjoy it. Don't wish for a top you'll never reach./ - *what a great finish-line* was/is my thought reading this...I do know that you have another chapter, but still...
Chemistress chapter 1 . 9/8/2010
Well, the raisin-picing-kind of review again *gg*: it is such fun:

first your inspired thoughts on life and literature:

/It had taught her an important lesson: Real Life had a dreadful plotline./

/self-help was what you did when there was no useful literature/

/What Irma needed was a book that dealt with getting the woman of your dreams. With a few chapters on details such as 'She's Also Your Boss' and 'Keep Your Job During and After Seduction'./

/in today's publishing world, actual knowledge and experience were severely underrated/

the way you give us Irma's internal self-evaluation is totally awesome:

/...Irma asked, immediately berating herself. That was being personal. Worse, it was dim-witted./...But even as she spoke, she mentally chalked up her words as a prime example of not taking the initiative gone wrong./ *Oh dear*, that sounds quite familiar ;-)
Kelly Chambliss chapter 3 . 8/29/2010
iIrma couldn't help herself. She screamed with laughter/i

So did Kelly. Those cards are simply inspired, each one as spot-on as the last.

As in previous chapters, Irma's interior conversation is priceless, as is the way that RL puts paid to virtually every thought she has, except the imporant ones - about who she wants, and who wants her.

Irma's Magnum Opus is a worthy work that I'm pleased to have read (mmm, the underwear), but I'm sure that when the relationship with Minerva moves into that later, quieter, more solid stage, she'll find time to write again. I hope so - because the world definitely needs treatises on "wandless, wordless Transfiguration spells that'll take care of legs, armpits, toenails, and underwear, at times when witches found themselves in … unexpected situations."
tetleybag chapter 3 . 8/29/2010
Ah, The Real Snape's Infallible Help for a perfect Sunday ... erm ... I supose one could still call it "morning".

/Then again, whatever had been in the Chamber of Secrets was supposed to be invincible and deadly. It had no need to lurk behind curtains. The most likely explanation contained the words 'adolescents', 'hormones', and 'Valentine'./ - You completely redefine the word "dry librarian" in this fic - in the loveliest possible sense!

/the thought was too ludicrous for words – a less than stellar description for a thought that had just been put into words/ - Tell you what: I'll trade you an Amelia for an Irma, ius primae noctis-wise.

/"I'll get us a refill," she told Minerva, "you stay where you are. You deserve a bit of rest. Put your feet up."/ - I think that this is probably my favourite of Irma's "blunders". I can so see how that would work on Minerva. 3

/They were witches, they'd put it right … whenever. / - Love the brief flaring up of reason and how she immediately sets her priorities right again.

Bless Granny Pince, and thank Merlin Irma is a Ravenclaw!
tetleybag chapter 2 . 8/24/2010
You already know how much I love this, but I think I haven't told you yet how endearing and wonderful I find that both Irma and Minerva go to the pub by themselves when they want a drink. And Rosmerta!

Love their conversation, the warmth, their thoughts about Hermione, and how it ties your story in with Canon so smoothly.

I raise my glass to you! Bordeaux, tonight.
Kelly Chambliss chapter 2 . 8/22/2010
I love when Hogwarts teachers need a drink - so realistic. I never believed in Minerva's gillywater: clearly that was just because students were around. Any decent teacher needs regular jolts of alcohol.

Irma continues to be a delight; I love her internal conversations and how all her good resolutions come so satisfyingly to naught. And that she organizes her life and feelings into the context of books - this makes such sense, and she does it so well and so wittily.

"Perhaps, Irma mused as she looked back on their little drinking section, the _Concise and Infallible Guide to Seducing a Colleague_ could do with a subtitle."

Ha!